Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline HerrDoktorBD  
#1 Posted : 29 August 2020 17:56:17(UTC)
HerrDoktorBD

United States   
Hello, markliners.

Last year I picked up a Bachmann 3524 Santa Fe loco at an antique store thinking that it would be easy to frankinsert a decoder and make it work on a Marklin system. Sheah...

Attempt 1: pickup shoe in the fuel tank cover. Bad idea, I learned my lesson.
Attempt 2: pickup show in the forward bogie. Bad idea, loco sits too high.

Plus I couldn't figure out how to program the decoder (I know now) and the motor just wouldn't run on it. It does work if connected to a battery.

The wheel widths are just a smidge smaller than Marklin's and thus I'm not sure I want to keep trying.

At the same store I got a Bachmann 60911 EMD SD40-2 Diesel loco (DCC) but I haven't even started on that one yet.

Any wisdom out there?

Thanks and best regards,

Tony

IMG_7127.jpegIMG_7126.jpeg

Edited by user 30 August 2020 20:26:09(UTC)  | Reason: DCC

Offline Alsterstreek  
#2 Posted : 29 August 2020 21:58:31(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
I am quoting a 2015 post which offers a nice synopsis:

Originally Posted by: jvuye Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Philpion Go to Quoted Post
Hello,

My son would a genesis P42 and it seems that Kato has some nice ones.
What would it take to convert it for Marklin?

I would probably start with an analogue (like 37-6102) as they are easier to find used.

I will then add a ESU loksound decoder. It seems that there is quite some space in the middle of the loco for the 3rd rail installation.

Should I then wire the decoder like how I would do for Marklin loco?

I have read here and there (but not found a clear tutorial) that the wheels need to be changed. Could somebody advice a part number?

Once, the installation is done, I have a loksound programmer to reprogram the loco.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Philippe

Hello Philippe
I have done quite a few Kato US locos conversions to Märklin 3-rail system, both for customers and my own collection..

Installing the pick up is **not** trivial.

After many years of trials and errors, the only viable solution I have settled for is:

1° Disabling one of the power bogie (=removing the gears) to find space for the pick up shoe, then adding some custom hardware to fit the slider.
2° Fitting 4 wheels of the remaining powered bogie with traction tires. This means taking the wheels off the axles and cutting a groove on the lathe to install the tires, then re-assemble with accurate spacing on a wheel press

Some locos worked well with their original RP 25 wheels (like my EMD GP-35) , some didn't (like the EMD F-3 A and B) Don't know why. Just a fact.

In that case, I replaced the original RP25 wheels by ROCO NEM wheels (easy to get and cheap, and above all the right diameter) , which then implied cutting all new axles to fit these to the Kato bogie .

Sometimes also then, small adjustments to the bogies' frames details (like brake shoes) may be required.

Not overly complicated, just a somewaht long and meticulous process.

Result is a loco with superior performance to the original (at least twice the pulling power) and smoother than most Märklin locos.

If any 2-rail locos deserve all that fuss to run on a Märklin layout, Katos are the ones!

Pictures available if you are interested.

Cheers

Jacques

PS: I no longer perform these "surgeries" professionally!!

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline Alsterstreek  
#3 Posted : 29 August 2020 22:07:38(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Post#76 in below thread contains an image of a Kato truck which was processed according to the description by forum member Jacques.

https://www.marklin-user...-and-Conversion-projects
Offline HerrDoktorBD  
#4 Posted : 30 August 2020 02:23:04(UTC)
HerrDoktorBD

United States   
Thanks. I'm afraid your awesome thread has just expanded my interest in conversions from non-M locos/cars to M.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by HerrDoktorBD
Offline mike c  
#5 Posted : 30 August 2020 06:47:58(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I wonder if it would not be easier to install a slider on the car behind the locomotive and run wires to the decoder in the locomotive.

To mount a slider on the bogie, you would have to cut out a space in the plastic and design some kind of support/fixation for the slider

Some of the Atlas and other models made by Roco may allow for easier conversions. You might also want to check as there were one or two companies that did make American prototype for 3 rail AC.

Regards

Mike C
Offline Alsterstreek  
#6 Posted : 30 August 2020 12:05:18(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Dear Mike,

Yes, but...:

Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
I wonder if it would not be easier to install a slider on the car behind the locomotive and run wires to the decoder in the locomotive.
My experience regarding Märklin North American-style cars: That works well with passenger cars, but not with four-axle freight cars.

Some of the Atlas and other models made by Roco may allow for easier conversions
I dissected locos from various other makers of US models, in alphabetical order:
Athearn
Con-Cor
Kato
Lifelike
Mehano
MTH
Proto2000
Roco/Atlas
Tyco
I do have two Roco/Atlas GP40 locos: They are not easier to convert than others. The issue is always the pickup shoe placement, and their axle retainer undersides are dangerously close to the Märklin track center studs.

You might also want to check as there were one or two companies that did make American prototype for 3 rail AC.
MTH (going out of business soon: https://mthtrains.com/news/658) did so and Brawa used to market Proto2000 locos for Märklin “AC”. ESU is just offering a SD40-2 for Märklin “AC”, too.

————
Another combination would be - creating a US-style loco “lash/up” - to use a loco with existing pickup shoe to feed a permanently coupled „convert“.
Offline Alsterstreek  
#7 Posted : 30 August 2020 12:10:09(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Originally Posted by: HerrDoktorBD Go to Quoted Post
Thanks. I'm afraid your awesome thread has just expanded my interest in conversions from non-M locos/cars to M.

Thank you, although I meant to deter.

P.S.: I just finished converting a Kato GP35 loco consist (which I had already in stock for some time), and I intend to never do it again. I find these loco conversions quite tedious.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Alsterstreek