Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Richard Joint  
#1 Posted : 03 August 2020 20:59:21(UTC)
Richard Joint

Honduras   
I have a medium size C-Track layout. Some 500ft of track. 40 switches. I used to HO DC and undrstood perfectly buswires, droppers and sections. I understood with C-Track that for the purpose of supplying power bus rails were not necesary, however I have been informed otherwise to the extent of instaling droppers every 6ft. I can understand that where sections are involved, power has to be supplied but otherwise?? If I follow the same rules as with DC I would have a common ground (asuming several separate loops) and basically two wires going back to the transformer. With C track, I can do the same and have done so taking my feeders from tracks around the CS2. This leaves lots of red and brown feeders attached to a few rails that in turn are fed by a very thin wire from the CS 2. Is there something wrong here. The very thin wires from the CS2 feeding in to 10 feeders that fo arounf the track. Should I not just use one bus wire?

I would really appreciate some reference or guidance as I really thought C-Track did not need this dependance on additional feeds to track that has NO sections. However long.....
Offline mvd71  
#2 Posted : 03 August 2020 21:16:31(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Hi,

The thing to remember is that c track is just like any other track, and at every joint you have potential for voltage drop. The way to get around this is either multiple feeder wires as you have described, or a bus that runs around your layout that you can access anywhere. Either will work.

The size of wires coming out of the connection to the CS2 don't need to be large, people tend to over spec their wires through ignorance. The wires Märklin supply with the CS2 can carry all the current the CS2 can supply and then some. So as long as your wires are that size you should be fine.
Offline costing  
#3 Posted : 03 August 2020 22:53:52(UTC)
costing

Switzerland   
Well, yes and no, the CS2 wires are ok ... for their length. But don't use the same wires for a long distance. Here is a simple calculator:

https://www.calculator.n...peres=2&x=64&y=3

10m of 22 AWG wire yields a 2V drop at 2A. Switch to 18 AWG wire for a 0.8V drop at the same length, or 13-14 AWG for ~0.3V (equivalent to 2.5mm^2 sectional area around here, which I'm using for the bus). Droppers can be anything you have around, not that important for as long as they are frequent enough to compensate for the not that good conductivity of the Ni track and the frequent joints (that have a non-negligible resistance too: https://www.w8ji.com/track_resistance.htm). If you have enough thick wire for the droppers, I'd go for it. Better to overdo it than debug funny flickers later on.
JMRI on RPi & DCC++ / C-track / Marklin, Roco, ESU, Bemo locos / Christmas car collector
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by costing