Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline kimballthurlow  
#1 Posted : 21 July 2020 04:30:16(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Review of Märklin steel load wagon set #47050

Video - BR 185 der CFL Cargo der Alpha Rail mit ein Stahlzug

This 33 second video sets the scene for my review of the CFL steel cargo set from Märklin.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmsy2tbEluA

The #47050 was released as a one-time set in 2017/18 in time to accompany the CFL BR185 Traxx electric loco #36632. The BR185 is painted in a unique livery and may be the only loco so painted. CFL is the abbreviation for the railway system known as Société Nationale des Chemins de Fer Luxembourgeois.

Luxembourg industry

I know nothing about Luxembourg as a country, or how relevant the rolling stock might be to its industry.
So I checked a Luxembourg government website with heading THE SECTOR THAT MADE LUXEMBOURG ITS FORTUNE.
Here at Luxembourg Steel I learned that the discovery of iron ore deposits in the south of the country during the early 1840s allowed Luxembourg to launch its industrial revolution. This contrasted measurably with its prior agrarian economy. (The first railway was opened in 1859).
By the eve of the First World War, Luxembourg ranked among the world’s six largest producers of steel products.
From 19th century beginnings and through downturns and acquisitions, today’s giant Arcelor Mittal group with headquarters in Luxembourg has made a name for itself in long steel products such as sheet piles, beams, wires and fibres, and rails.
Several production sites supply the whole world from Doha to Copenhagen and from Sicily's vineyards to New York's One World Trade Center. Even so, only around 2% of the sum of added values in the country is currently created by the steel sector, proof that the Luxembourgish economy is diverse.

The #47050 set:

The video above encouraged me to find specifically appropriate rolling stock for the CFL BR185 loco which I received for my birthday. I eventually found the #47050 steel cargo set at AJCkids in the USA.
The set consists of three Y25 type (I believe) bogie cars designed to carry long flat loads, ideal for steel lengths. Each wagon and a steel load are packed separately within moulded clear plastic in a cardboard box. There is a set box to accommodate all 3 boxes. Each wagon is of a different design with a fish-belly construction and has been expertly weathered by the factory.

47050-01 Rnss flat wagon CFL running #3517 070-7 in blue

47050-02 Res low sided wagon CFL running #3936 121-1 in red-brown

47050-03 Rns flat wagon CFL running #3991 849-9 in grey

Here is a picture of the train on transfer to an exchange yard.

UserPostedImage

The wagons are quite heavy without the load (125 grams) and are modelled in plastic with a hidden metal insert and are expertly weathered to replicate prolonged use. The side stakes fold flat and pivot vertically when required. This is a nice feature when it is easy to lose separate stakes on some models. The loads are long steel H sections measuring approximately 43 x 26 cm modelled in plastic. They are coloured a typical dark grey and are weathered variably with bright new rust. The loads are made by Ladegüter Bauer in a precise manner resting on large timber cross members (26 x 13 cm). For the flat wagons the timber end is checked out to engage with the side stakes of the wagon to prevent load shifting. This indicates careful model-making which is pleasing to the buyer.

Märklin have announced a similar 3 wagon set for CFL #47160 for release in 2020, consisting of Rnss in blue, Res in red-brown and Rs in red-brown. I acknowledge that these wagon sets might be expensive, so I hope this review might give you some insight into their value. Again in Autumn 2020 Märklin announced a new 47145 set this time in DB AG colours for era VI. The 3 weathered wagons with different steel loads are one Res and two of the Rs types.

This is the #36632 loco I received for my birthday.

UserPostedImage

Kimball

Edited by user 16 September 2020 00:34:15(UTC)  | Reason: added CFL explanation and article links

HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline kimballthurlow  
#2 Posted : 15 September 2020 11:21:42(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Additional information:
In Autumn 2020 Märklin announced a new 47145 set this time in DB AG colours for era VI. The 3 weathered wagons with different steel loads are one Res and two of the Rs types.

Kimball

Edited by user 16 September 2020 00:33:26(UTC)  | Reason: added article link.

HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline IanC  
#3 Posted : 15 September 2020 16:26:26(UTC)
IanC

United Kingdom   
For us Brits of a certain age, Luxemburg is synonymous with the numbers 208 and a certain radio station. Lux. has had a colourful and chequered history and relationship to Germany. It was part of a federation of Germanic states before Germany was Germany, then it was invaded, mainly for its strategic geographical position at the hub of an international railway network, but also for its' iron ore reserves. After WW2 Lux changed its official language from German to French although Leutzenbergische remains broadly spoken and is sort of Germanish. It was Lux's misfortune to be at the heart of the iron, coal, limestone flux triangle which post-war was the cornerstone of the foundation of the European Iron & Steel Community which became the Common Market and later the EEC and then EU. Now there is cross border iron and steel area co-operation and a designated Eurozone named Saar/Lor/Lux covering the German Saarland, French Lorraine and Luxemburg. Built on a gorge landscape, and at different levels, Luxemburg City has magnificent railway scenes, and a nice modern youth hostel. Also noted for cheap petrol / diesel so fuel up if you're passing.

IanC
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by IanC
Offline kimballthurlow  
#4 Posted : 16 September 2020 00:35:57(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: IanC Go to Quoted Post
For us Brits of a certain age, Luxemburg is synonymous with the numbers 208 and a certain radio station. Lux. has had a colourful and chequered history and relationship to Germany. It was part of a federation of Germanic states before Germany was Germany, then it was invaded, mainly for its strategic geographical position at the hub of an international railway network, but also for its' iron ore reserves. After WW2 Lux changed its official language from German to French although Leutzenbergische remains broadly spoken and is sort of Germanish. It was Lux's misfortune to be at the heart of the iron, coal, limestone flux triangle which post-war was the cornerstone of the foundation of the European Iron & Steel Community which became the Common Market and later the EEC and then EU. Now there is cross border iron and steel area co-operation and a designated Eurozone named Saar/Lor/Lux covering the German Saarland, French Lorraine and Luxemburg. Built on a gorge landscape, and at different levels, Luxemburg City has magnificent railway scenes, and a nice modern youth hostel. Also noted for cheap petrol / diesel so fuel up if you're passing.

IanC

Hello Ian,

I found your article fascinating, thank you. Cool

Kimball

Offline Alsterstreek  
#5 Posted : 16 September 2020 13:57:47(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Originally Posted by: IanC Go to Quoted Post

[...]
It was Lux's misfortune to be at the heart of the iron, coal, limestone flux triangle which post-war was the cornerstone of the foundation of the European Iron & Steel Community which became the Common Market and later the EEC and then EU.
[...]

Misfortune?

Offline hxmiesa  
#6 Posted : 16 September 2020 14:28:51(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Nice, IanC!

We (family) visited Lux 17 or 18 year ago. It caught my attention that there were still many shops in the high street carrying Märklin items. (albeit at sky-high prices)
Finally I found a good shop at the other side of the train station-area. Alas far away from the touristic city center...
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline IanC  
#7 Posted : 16 September 2020 18:46:38(UTC)
IanC

United Kingdom   
Misfortune? Yes, it's bigger neighbours wanted to get their greedy hands on its rich mineral resources and kept invading it. Part of the 'Battle of the Bulge'. I should have mentioned that Lux. used to be a lot bigger and that there is a neighbouring Belgium province of Luxembourg. Being part of BeNeLux with free movement seems to have overcome border disputes. Also, that the modern equivalent of Radio Luxemburg is RTL Radio Tele Luxemburg with HQ in Koln / Cologne but beamed up to a satellite from Luxemburg like 208 beamed towards Britain from a giant transmitter built by the occupying Germans to broadcast propaganda in WW2. What goes around comes around.

IanC
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by IanC
Offline Alsterstreek  
#8 Posted : 16 September 2020 22:27:28(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Alright.

Reading the sentence I (mis)understood you linked “misfortune” to the EU and its post-war predecessors.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline danmarklinman  
#9 Posted : 21 September 2020 11:24:27(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Brilliant articles👍
I visited Luxembourg in the 1990s and loved it, we found it a very friendly place and the rail activity was really interesting. French, Belgium ,German and there own motive power to Be seen all in a few minutes. I saw for the first and last time the CFL series 18 diesels and bb3600 flat irons. Also there signals stuck out to me, as the shunt light was a bright blue in colour which really stuck out.
Marklin and Piko era 4 SNCB , Marklin wagons
Wiking model car Fan
Faller fan including car system
Instagram: marklin1978
Wiking fan
Offline kimballthurlow  
#10 Posted : 21 September 2020 13:25:45(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi Dan
Quote - “blue signals” ....
Colours are enigmatic.

Imagine the Australian bush where I worked as a young man surveying in remoter areas. Visibility over distance was a priority and blue was the standout. You might think the red/orange/yellow/white would be sensible but they just merged into the background.
Kimball
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline danmarklinman  
#11 Posted : 21 September 2020 14:21:11(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post
Hi Dan
Quote - “blue signals” ....
Colours are enigmatic.

Imagine the Australian bush where I worked as a young man surveying in remoter areas. Visibility over distance was a priority and blue was the standout. You might think the red/orange/yellow/white would be sensible but they just merged into the background.
Kimball

Yes I’ve heard this, apparently early British signals had a blue light, also hence British Police boxes had a blue light👍
Marklin and Piko era 4 SNCB , Marklin wagons
Wiking model car Fan
Faller fan including car system
Instagram: marklin1978
Wiking fan
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by danmarklinman