Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Nibelungen  
#1 Posted : 23 June 2020 13:22:37(UTC)
Nibelungen

United Kingdom   
A quick question regarding fitting decoders to analogue Marklin locomotives.
Does one have to fit Marklin decoders or can one use decoders of other makes?
I have some LAIS decoders floating around, if I fit these to some analogue locomotives will they work?
New Marklin decoders aren’t easy to obtain in the UK ( Marklin isn’t easy to get hold of full stop)
Chris
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 23 June 2020 13:30:53(UTC)
H0

Hi, Chris!
Originally Posted by: Nibelungen Go to Quoted Post
Does one have to fit Marklin decoders or can one use decoders of other makes?
You can use decoders of any brand. They must meet the motor characteristics and they must be compatible with the controller you are using.

Many "Märklin" or "Trix" decoders are OEM decoders from brands like D&H, ESU, and others.

I have no experience with LAIS.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Nibelungen  
#3 Posted : 23 June 2020 13:47:59(UTC)
Nibelungen

United Kingdom   
They are inexpensive (LAIS decoders) I’ve fitted them into Hornby OO scale locomotives without any problems, including older models which didn’t have sockets and Hornby tender drive A3 Pacific’s with Ringfield motors. I’ve a BR 81 which is equipped with a delta chip (4 dip switches) which has stopped working, all the lights come on and the decoder board gets very hot and has smoked, I will start with that one I think.
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 23 June 2020 14:06:40(UTC)
H0

I’ve a BR 81 which is equipped with a delta chip (4 dip switches) which has stopped working, all the lights come on and the decoder board gets very hot and has smoked, I will start with that one I think.
Please note that typical Delta locos have three motor wires and will not easily work with standard DC decoders that have two motor wires only.
It should work using decoder plus for the third connector along with the two motor outputs, provided the decoder has no load regulation.

Consider getting a permanent magnet for the loco to convert he motor to a standard DC design. Same for typical analogue Märklin locos.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline scraigen  
#5 Posted : 23 June 2020 15:04:32(UTC)
scraigen

New Marklin decoders aren’t easy to obtain in the UK ( Marklin isn’t easy to get hold of full stop)
Chris

Hi Chris,

Marklin is easy to get hold of in the UK (sort of), I just go on the online stores of retailers in Germany and often (even recently during covid delayed postage) it arrives within a week.

I usually use lokmuseum.de but there are many others. I ordered a Faller station and a LokPilot and a Marklin 60944 motor conversion set, arrived (during covid crisis) 4 days later.

Cheers

Stu
Must build something