Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline husafreak  
#1 Posted : 17 June 2020 03:55:12(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
I have a simple loop to wire, C track, Z21, just under 6m or 17’ long. I couldn’t find any fine wire at my local hardware stores so I bought a spool if 20AWG “doorbell wire”. Now I see it is solid core. Is there any reason I should avoid this wire for track power? I plan to solder it to the track at four points, about 3m/9’ apart. No booster just the four wires to the Z21.
Offline Goofy  
#2 Posted : 17 June 2020 05:46:34(UTC)
Goofy

Never use door bell wire for the layout!
Use copper wire 21-22 AWG for the digital system with 3 amp.
Recommended is to not solder the wires.
Use contact clips.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline cookee_nz  
#3 Posted : 17 June 2020 07:12:48(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: husafreak Go to Quoted Post
I have a simple loop to wire, C track, Z21, just under 6m or 17’ long. I couldn’t find any fine wire at my local hardware stores so I bought a spool if 20AWG “doorbell wire”. Now I see it is solid core. Is there any reason I should avoid this wire for track power? I plan to solder it to the track at four points, about 3m/9’ apart. No booster just the four wires to the Z21.

The main reason not to use it is that it's not flexible. But if you are going to mount the wire permanently and staple it or run through some form of protection it would be fine to use.

Thing with layouts is that they are subject to ongoing maintenance, and therefore some movement of wires is inevitable.

Here's some example pros and cons of each, all saying much the same thing. Solid core certainly has it's place but I think most modellers would use stranded because it's a little easier work work with, but both have their rightful place

https://learn.sparkfun.c...anded-vs-solid-core-wire

https://www.techwalla.co.../how-to-fix-speaker-wire

https://www.firefold.com...he-pros-and-cons-of-each

Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline harris19  
#4 Posted : 17 June 2020 08:42:32(UTC)
harris19

Greece   
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
Recommended is to not solder the wires.
Use contact clips.

Hello Goofy
can i ask you what wire you prefer for lighting (layout leds, buildings, using DC) ?
mean thicker than 21-22 AWG or the same
thank you in advance
Harris
Offline David Dewar  
#5 Posted : 17 June 2020 09:36:30(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Marklin wire is fine and comes in useful colours. However other similar wire can be bought from various model shops. Where the wire is fixed round a layout to track I use Roco wire and use the Marklin spades to attack to C Track ensuring it is a tight fit. I use Brawa wire that comes in a reel with yellow and brown wire joined and match the Marklin coloured plugs.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 17 June 2020 10:40:11(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: husafreak Go to Quoted Post
Now I see it is solid core. Is there any reason I should avoid this wire for track power?
The wire should be thick enough to handle the output current of the booster. The internal booster of the z21 is rated for 3 A.
20 AWG is 0.519 mm² in metric units and should be safe with 3 A IMHO, even though this chart only shows 1.5 A for power transmission:
https://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

The length of the wires matters. If wires are too thin and too long, a short circuit may not trigger the overload protection which can lead to melting down a loco or burning down the house.
Using a long speaker cable for power distribution and only short pieces of the bell wire to feed the tracks could improve the safety of the installation.

Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
20 AWG is thicker than the 21 or 22 AWG you recommend. Confused

Bell wire sounds like 24 AWG or thinner in my ears. Such thin wire should not be used for digital layouts with boosters rated for 3+ A.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline DaleSchultz  
#7 Posted : 17 June 2020 15:00:07(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
its fine.
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline husafreak  
#8 Posted : 17 June 2020 17:50:03(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
Obviously this is not a "open and shut case". Due to the fact that my layout is simple and will not change I think I agree with the post "its fine". I loved the links. Thanks. Very informative. I agree that 20AWG solid can handle 3A peaks without burning, it is deceptively thinner than the small amount of 20AWG flexible wire I have on hand. Mostly I learned that solid wire can do the same thing as stranded, it's just not flexible and can work harden and break. Some responses have more to do with convenience and use than just "will it work". But I got great ideas from you all that helped me decide what to do.

Using wire I have on hand I will run a 10' length of lamp cord/speaker wire as a power distribution bus down the center of the layout. I have just enough 20AWG multi strand from my RC flying hobby supplies to connect to the track at four points from this. I always planned to solder the wires to the track, soldering is the single best way to save money in this hobby IMHO ;) I'll return the spool of bell wire to the hardware store and get my $14 back.
I think I should adopt the Marklin standard going forward in this hobby, any standard would be fine, so why not Marklin, and stock up on wire spools. That way I'll always have color coded wire to use with speaker bus wire. Thanks!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by husafreak