Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Rocca  
#1 Posted : 14 June 2020 11:32:05(UTC)
Rocca

Italy   
Dear Friends,

I wish I could install a stopping point on my BRAWA Trolleybus layout, but I've found only one 6126 contact-switch mast, but I would need two of them. Neverthelss in the BRAWA Booklet it seems that you can use instead Reed contacts instead. Can anybody suggest me how to do that, please? What may you suggest, please?
Best regards

Edited by moderator 11 October 2020 03:02:21(UTC)  | Reason: Topic moved to Collectors Corner General

Offline JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 14 June 2020 15:40:25(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Rocca

You have possibilities:
ONE: have a loop with only one trolleybus, insert a relay to cut its power, insert a magnet under the Trolleybus (as far away as possible from the motor not to disturb the motor's magnetic field and hide a reed relay in the pavement at the spot you want to stop the trolley to start a sequence (cutting off the relay for a little while and then restart). Of course you can have multiple reed contacts in parallel to have multiple stops in the loop.

TWO: doing the BRAWA way by inserting two overhead line insulators and an additional contact mast (you can make one yourself by using small grey wire to the insulated side of the line)
Trolley stop.jpg
You may do the line isolation by using nylon tubing
An interesting project.
P.S.: it may even be that the masts are electrically connected to one of the poles which makes it easier.
Cheers
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline Rocca  
#3 Posted : 14 June 2020 16:57:09(UTC)
Rocca

Italy   
Originally Posted by: JohnjeanB Go to Quoted Post
Hi Rocca

You have possibilities:
ONE: have a loop with only one trolleybus, insert a relay to cut its power, insert a magnet under the Trolleybus (as far away as possible from the motor not to disturb the motor's magnetic field and hide a reed relay in the pavement at the spot you want to stop the trolley to start a sequence (cutting off the relay for a little while and then restart). Of course you can have multiple reed contacts in parallel to have multiple stops in the loop.

TWO: doing the BRAWA way by inserting two overhead line insulators and an additional contact mast (you can make one yourself by using small grey wire to the insulated side of the line)

You may do the line isolation by using nylon tubing
An interesting project.
P.S.: it may even be that the masts are electrically connected to one of the poles which makes it easier.
Cheers
Jean

Dear JohnJeanB,
Your answer is so appreciated and so I understad how to you use the Reed. I wish I could using 2 Trolleybuses having the same the direction. I've too a pair of turnouts. So the traffic may be more interesting. Do you think I can use together one 6126 mast and the Reed contact from Herka working together and making a loop working?
Best regards and thank you so much for the help!
Stefano

Offline JohnjeanB  
#4 Posted : 14 June 2020 17:56:51(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Stefano

My first solution (previous post) works only if you have one Trolleybus per loop. If you add another Trolleybus, one of them will stop anywhere and the faster will collide with the slower one.

If you wish to have multiple trolleys in one loop you will need to have 2 insulation tubes and 2 contact masts per stop. So you buy them or make it yourself from existing overhead wire and existing masts.

The layout idea is to have 2 stops each made of a contact mast and of the insulation tubing (see the bottom right of the Brawa/Eheim catalog I included for the stop kit. You need to add a relay to command the stopping.

Alas this is good for one stop. If you add more stops then you need to feed the route between the 2 stops so for each additional stop you need one 6127 (Unterbrechergarnitur) and one 6112 (Anschlussmast).

Regarding reed contacts I use Faller Car-System contacts (161773) and magnet (163221); Contacts are very easy to install (drill a 3 mm dia vertical hole and fix the sensor) but they are not strong enough to drive a normal relay or a switch but rather an S88 input to start a sequence or a high sensitivity relay such as the Viessmann 5552
Other types of reed may be accepting a higher current but they are probably much bigger.

An alternative is to use Brawa n°6126 (Kontakgeber Mast) which will send an impulse each time a Trolley goes by (great to drive the Brawa 6120 (Trolley switch)
Trolley Switch.jpg
PS If you are looking for catalogs (Eheim, Brawa, you may check this website: https://www.conradantiquario.de/...og/booklet_bing1930.html
I hope this helps
Jean

Offline EMD_GP7  
#5 Posted : 15 June 2020 21:43:08(UTC)
EMD_GP7

Hi Rocca.
Many years ago I had a Markin layout which was basically an oval and I ran two trains on it.
There was an isolated section of track in the station and a signal with switching contacts. One train sat on the isolated section while the
train in front ran the circuit. In front of the isolated track was a contact which the running train operated and changed the signal which powered the isolated track ( both trains were powered from the same controller ).
The train on the isolated track moved off to go round the circuit , the other train cleared the contact track and therefore cutting power to the the isolated track and stopped !
This was repeated for as long as desired with one train in the station and the other running the circuit.
This could probably be used for trolley busses with one standing at a stop and the other running.The reed switches could control a relay to cut power to an isolated section of bus wire - how about shrink-wrap to isolate a section of overhead ? Only one wire would be needed to be isolated. The relay could be made to latch and unlatch using two reed switches to give the stopped bus time to get away .
If you need further details then please ask.
I am glad that other members are interested in these busses as I have some and last year built a small layout to run them and my collection of 60's H0e items. See photo below.

UserPostedImage

Hope this is of use. Regards, Colin

Offline danmarklinman  
#6 Posted : 16 June 2020 15:28:36(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Hi, I love these trolley buses. Is it possible to take An Brawa trolley bus and use its mechanics to drive an up to date HO scale bus?
Marklin and Piko era 4 SNCB , Marklin wagons
Wiking model car Fan
Faller fan including car system
Instagram: marklin1978
Wiking fan
Offline Unholz  
#7 Posted : 16 June 2020 18:43:31(UTC)
Unholz

Switzerland   
The mechanics especially of the older Eheim trolley buses are a bit "chunky" - slightly similar to early Märklin products. When they warmed up, they had the habit of melting the bodies of the buses. Wink Maybe the Brawa units are a bit refined, but I would suggest using something more up-to-date like the mechanics of a Faller Car System model.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Unholz
Offline kiwiAlan  
#8 Posted : 16 June 2020 19:14:12(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Unholz Go to Quoted Post

but I would suggest using something more up-to-date like the mechanics of a Faller Car System model.

Especially as Faller are marketing the chassis for doing such fitting.
See the last couple of Faller New Items brochures for details.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline danmarklinman  
#9 Posted : 16 June 2020 19:19:16(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Unholz Go to Quoted Post

but I would suggest using something more up-to-date like the mechanics of a Faller Car System model.

Especially as Faller are marketing the chassis for doing such fitting.
See the last couple of Faller New Items brochures for details.

Thanks, I was thinking about the steering system. It would allow a bit of independent running from my car system.
Any body got any pictures of the mechanics of the Brawa bus?
I could use new motor and gear box with faller wheels. But I’m interested how the pantograph steers the bus.
Wiking model car Fan
Wiking fan
Offline EMD_GP7  
#10 Posted : 16 June 2020 21:33:44(UTC)
EMD_GP7

The steering system for Eheim and Brawa is the same.
It is just an arm connected to the overhead trolley poles which operates a linking bar between the steering road wheels similar to a toy pedal car !
The only differences are the early roller contacts for the trolley poles and the later enclosure of the trolley pole spring mechanism.
There was a version for a Faller road system which probably used a slot in the road with side power connections like Scalextric or other road type models.

These websites may help.
http://home.kpn.nl/helde862/Eheim/eheim.htm

http://www.modellbahnboerse.org/obus.htm

Regards, Colin.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by EMD_GP7
Offline danmarklinman  
#11 Posted : 16 June 2020 21:50:59(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Thanks. I’ve since found a picture of the chassis. I will eventually have a pop at reproducing the steering with Faller car system steering. It does not appear to be easy to buy the poles and cables for the Brawa overhead line on eBay. I will perhaps pic one up at a toy fare, with a bit of luck.
Wiking model car Fan
Wiking fan
Offline river6109  
#12 Posted : 22 June 2020 20:31:09(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Hi, My Brawa trolleybus is a bit more sophisticated including the running of it with ESU sound decoder

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline river6109  
#13 Posted : 22 June 2020 20:44:02(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Hi, there is another video with 2 running

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline AshleyH  
#14 Posted : 23 June 2020 11:57:15(UTC)
AshleyH

United Kingdom   
Thank you for posting the two videos. I have a Brawa one still unused from new which I really must get round to setting up sometime.

Brawa, and Eheim before them, made a lot of interesting classic items. Early ski lifts and cable cars, a funicular railway, a traverser that could be used for either 2 rail or 3 rail and a nice working container crane as well. Although perhaps regarded as crude by modern standards, it is a shame they are no longer produced. Perhaps Brawa should consider reviving them as a classic retro range!