Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline husafreak  
#1 Posted : 03 June 2020 02:33:13(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
I have been running my new Rheingold steam loco 4-6-2 for apprx. 5 hours and finally noticed a note on the box saying oil before use, then a look at the manual gives me 40 hours before oiling the wheel bearings and 20 hours before greasing the worm. What to do? I went ahead and put a drop of Labelle 108 on the wheels (we love that stuff in Z scale) as they looked pretty dry but the manual calls for Trix 66626 on the worm. I have every kind of grease imaginable in my shop already, some designed specifically for plastic gears from Tamiya, some black stuff that is used on Zerox machines, a white molybedenum grease called molykote that is really fine stuff, etc. Any suggestions and does Marklin really ship these locos dry?
Offline skeeterbuck  
#2 Posted : 03 June 2020 16:54:10(UTC)
skeeterbuck

United States   
I think that Märklin does oil and grease the items at the factory before they test run them. (I guess they still do that)

I think they indicate to service before using as a catch all and also the item may have been on the dealers shelf for several years and the original oil/grease may have evaporated. I use either LaBelle or Woodland Scenics light white grease that's plastic compatible from my local hobby shop. It doesn't take much and overdoing just gets everywhere making more of a mess and attracting airborne dust etc. Just my $0.02

Chuck
Offline husafreak  
#3 Posted : 03 June 2020 17:13:57(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
Makes sense, I guess I should at least “check under the hood” to ensure it has been done. Since produced in 2018 it should be good. And my Tamiya or Molykote white grease would be fine. Yes, a little goes a long way.
Offline Webmaster  
#4 Posted : 03 June 2020 18:44:53(UTC)
Webmaster

I'm in Europe so I use this German product for both metal & plastic gears...
https://www.faller.de/de...2%A9-25-ml-sid9749.html#

As I understand, Labelle 108 is also plastic friendly.

Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 03 June 2020 19:11:51(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: husafreak Go to Quoted Post
Any suggestions and does Marklin really ship these locos dry?
Most Märklin locos ship either dry as a bone or completely overoiled. I especially love locos with oiled traction tyres. Mellow

Better assume nothing and check the locos before putting them into service.
Worm gears that are really difficult to reach require lubrication every 20 hours. Cool
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline rhfil  
#6 Posted : 04 June 2020 17:08:20(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
Oil is a liquid and therefore has two bad habits - drying out and collecting dirt. I was a self-taught locksmith for many years and often had customers bring in locks which they had squirted oil or a deicing liquid in to thaw them out in the winter making them inoperable. That necessitated cleaning them out, drying them and then lubricating them with graphite. Has anyone any experience using graphite instead of oil on locomotives? Not for grease but for the dry joints.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rhfil
Offline David Dewar  
#7 Posted : 04 June 2020 17:30:36(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Does not matter when Marklin ships a loco. It is how long the dealer has them and what do they do before shipping. Dealers should take responsibility to ensure a loco arrives at a customer on good working order.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by David Dewar
bph
Offline dickinsonj  
#8 Posted : 05 June 2020 03:45:40(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Better assume nothing and check the locos before putting them into service.
Worm gears that are really difficult to reach require lubrication every 20 hours. Cool

That is exactly my experience too. Some of my locos come floating in oil, enough that I actually try to remove the excess before I run them. Some of them do not appear to have been oiled at all. I opened a new loco recently to check the worm gears and found one with an excess amount of grease and the other one without any visible grease at all.

As Tom says, it is best to check before running them and do not assume anything about what was done before you received them, by either the factory or the dealer.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
Offline JohnjeanB  
#9 Posted : 05 June 2020 21:59:11(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi
Never have I purchased a New Märklin loco that was not lubricated. I don't say it does not exist but only never happened to me on my 50+ purchases. Just my experience.
They don't lubricate to show but just barely enough and as said by one friend already: how long has the model been waiting on the shelf.
I never purchase old new stock and am careful about the production year.
Cheers
Jean