Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline cookee_nz  
#1 Posted : 01 May 2020 09:49:56(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
I put this in the Collectors Corner but really it could equally go in the general MR as well.

We've read stories of woe about deterioration of various items that have been in long-term storage.

A good example is items that came paced in styrene liners, and after several years (or decades), you get the item out only to find that the minute you attempt to remove it from the liner, the styrene is stuck to the paint, or the paint has discoloured. Or items that have become slightly damp in storage perhaps through humidity or condensation and a moisture attack has started.

The advice given is to regularly check your items for condition, and place a protective liver such as acid-free paper etc between the item and the packaging. But a few years can easily pass where you might not unpack one or several items until it's too late.

The same warning also applies to catalogues, and not particularly old ones ether.

I have been sorting through duplicate catalogues for a while to thin out the collection and pass on duplicates to new homes. I found with several that many of the pages were lightly stuck together. I say lightly because although they did not tear on separating, I had to be VERY careful, and there was some 'ghosting' where the ink from one page has left a residual image on the page it was stuck to.

Usually I store my catalogues like a bookcase, upright. But I have been guilty at times of stacking them - really a no-no. And we all know how quickly a pile of just a few stacked catalogues can become very heavy.

This is really a caution after spending probably 15 minutes carefully separating the 500-plus pages of a 1998 catalogue. Not all were stuck which was odd. I might have had 5 in a row that had adhered together, then there might be 20 pages with no problems.

I'd be interested in what others find if you check catalogues that you've not read in a while, (if ever). Seems the glossy pages of the heavier ones are the worst by far. Not so common on the thinner catalogue pro about 1980.

Not a good idea stacked Crying (but it is only temporary, until I clear some shelf space)

P1060779.JPG

Much better method BigGrin - I like putting them in cardboard organisers to help keep them upright and to easily remove a few at once

P1060780.JPG
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline xxup  
#2 Posted : 01 May 2020 10:10:10(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
IKEA Billy Bookcase. Love
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by xxup
Offline cookee_nz  
#3 Posted : 01 May 2020 10:22:56(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post
IKEA Billy Bookcase. Love

Okaaay, it wasn't actually a literal question, more a prompt for discussion.

I've modified the subject for clarity......
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline Jimmy Thompson  
#4 Posted : 01 May 2020 12:16:01(UTC)
Jimmy Thompson

United States   
Could it also have something to do with the ink used in the printing process? Used to be petroleum- or other-based, now plant-based for ecological reasons?

"I love the smell of Benzene in the morning..."LOL
Jimmy T
Analogue; M-track; BR 111; KLVM; Primex; Sarrasani Zirkuswelt
There is a Prototype For Everything
Offline DaleSchultz  
#5 Posted : 01 May 2020 15:22:17(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
I am sure there is some sort of joke about why pages of glossy mags that some men read get sticky...
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline Purellum  
#6 Posted : 01 May 2020 19:10:46(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

In the 1980s I build and worked on printing machines, mostly for printing newspapers; but also
posters and advertising on glossy paper.

The glossy part on the paper was then usually hardened by ultraviolet light; too much "ink" or too short exposure
of the ultraviolet light meant that the "ink" never hardens completely, and the can become a little sticky Cool

This could be the reason for some pages not being affected and others being like glued to each other Smile

Per.

Cool
If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline RayF  
#7 Posted : 01 May 2020 20:14:22(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I'm always flicking through my catalogues, so there's no danger of the pages being together long enough to stick! BigGrin

I do have another problem, which is that on some catalogues groups of pages become detached from the spine. I've experimented with using PVA glue to stick them back in with some success, but I would welcome advice on this.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF