Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Chris6382chris  
#1 Posted : 16 April 2020 16:14:27(UTC)
Chris6382chris

United States   
Good morning from the USA. So I bought the Marklin 37501 SBAHN train new. I put it on the track, sounds work, train runs well but the directional lighting only works in one direction.

So when the train travels to the left, the white head lights on the train cab operate and the red marker lights on the right side of the train cab operate. When I reverse direction, the lights on the left side of the train switch over to Red but the train Cab on the right side doesn't switch to white, the red simply becomes a lower flicker.

I sent away for a replacement of the light board for the right train cab hoping something was wrong there. I swapped it out and still have the same problem.

So based on the fact that the I am still having the problem and the fact that the normal red lights become a red flicker when the white lights should be activated I am assuming something is happening back at the central car where their the chip and board are located.

Does anyone have any advice?

Chris
Offline mvd71  
#2 Posted : 16 April 2020 20:29:20(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Hi Chris,

There is a very good chance that the problem is in the driver board the the decoder is attached to. I recently had to replace one of these on a BR141 for a similar reason.
If you have checked all the connections and have installed you new led light at that end, I would trace back to the board and find the output transistors that feed the lights and start measuring output with a multimeter. Compare the output with the good end.

Good luck.

Cheers..

Mike
Offline Chris6382chris  
#3 Posted : 16 April 2020 20:46:44(UTC)
Chris6382chris

United States   
Thanks Mike. That is what I was thinking but I wanted to see if others had experienced similar issues.
Offline mvd71  
#4 Posted : 16 April 2020 22:38:03(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Yeah, I've dealt with similar issues before, mostly on other people's locos. It seems to me that about the time of the advent of soft drive sine motors (not the original c-sine) the electronics on the driver boards took a nose dive in the quality department. I currently have an E18 39680 of my own that runs erratically and my troubleshooting is pointing to the driver board. Decoder is tested and good.
It is well documented on the sine motors that the original boards were no good, and apparently there is a newer version that is better. The s-Bahn train you have may be similar, but only time and good reporting on the forum will tell.

Please let us know the results of your testing.

Cheers...

Mike
Offline Chris6382chris  
#5 Posted : 22 April 2020 19:56:54(UTC)
Chris6382chris

United States   
Thanks for the feedback. I will have to look at it when I really have the time to sit down and work on it. It has to simply be the polarity isn't completely reversing when the direction of the S Bhan is reversed. That is why I have the red lights flicking a not so bright red when the white lights should be on.

Chris
Offline mvd71  
#6 Posted : 22 April 2020 21:35:51(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Hi Chris,

It's not about polarity reversing. The board in question I would expect to have two output transistors supplying the led's at the end in question. Eith these are playing up, or the other option is that perhaps the signal going to them is not right.

Another possibility could be the coupling between the units?

Is there any chance you can post a picture of the board in the train? If we could see how that Mosel is setup it could help with some diagnosis.

Cheers.....

Mike
Offline Chris6382chris  
#7 Posted : 24 April 2020 17:34:21(UTC)
Chris6382chris

United States   
Mike:

I will have to pop the tops off of the cars and take some pictures. I get what you are saying about the transistors not working properly. I am wondering if they would be on the main board on the center car or on one of the end cars? Each end car as a lighting board. Pictures will be posted soon.
Offline mvd71  
#8 Posted : 24 April 2020 20:42:48(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Hi Chris,

I guess we will know when you pop the hood. I would expect them to be on the main board and the boards in the end cars just to carry the led's, but I could easily be wrong.

Cheers....

Mike