Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline husafreak  
#1 Posted : 11 April 2020 17:20:51(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
I am shopping for my first Marklin HO train. I would like the full selection of DCC features to be available, sounds, lights, smoke. I will operate it with the Roco/Fleischmann z21 system. So, for example, I'm looking at the 39209 Class 1.5 loco. It is an Era IV steam loco with the look and features I want. I can pull Era IV cars like the Slberlinge or POP cars. And it runs the more impressive 7226 smoke unit. The specs say it has mfx+ and DCC decoder. The features chart shows very limited features for "Control Unit" and "Mobile Station" and even for "Mobile Station 2" and "Central Station 1/2" it isn't until the "Central Station 3/2" column that all features, including some I really want like station announcements, become available. But i will not be using a Marklin controller.
Please feel free to make other suggestions as well, as I have a lot to learn I don't want to be overly specific about this part numbered loco. My only requirement for the cars is that they be prototypical for the loco and have interior lighting.
I guess Era isn't so important, looking at Marklin 26928 1928 Rheingold Train Set it is Era II but i still have the same questions about features operation.
Offline Rwill  
#2 Posted : 11 April 2020 19:43:17(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
If you are looking at the M website you will see that the last column has been altered to include MS2 for up to 32 functions with update 3.55. Personally I struggled with MS2 and 16 functions spread over a number of displays - you need at least three hands in my opinion . In my opinion you cant beat CS2/3
Offline husafreak  
#3 Posted : 11 April 2020 21:29:03(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
Yes but can these functions or how many of these functions be operated with a Roco z21? Is a Marklin controller required for some of these functions?
Offline mvd71  
#4 Posted : 11 April 2020 22:14:48(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
How many functions can the z21 normally address? The limitations you see on Marklins literature is usually related to the limits of the controller.

For example, on the old 6021 controller from way back, you could only access the first five functions (then another five could be accessed by setting up the loco decoder to respond to second address)
With the advent of the Central station series, the number of functions increased considerably without the need to create second addresses in the loco decoder.

I would suspect that the loco in DCC would give you full access as far as you controller can go. So if the z21 can do 32 functions, you will have access to them all. However. Be aware that mfx+ is only available on the CS2/3 regardless of how capable the Z21 is.

Hope that makes sense

Cheers....

Mike
Offline bph  
#5 Posted : 12 April 2020 00:03:27(UTC)
bph

Norway   
The Z21 can control up to 29 functions (F0 and F1-F28), and Z21 does not support Mfx.
Would also recommend that you lock closer into the cs3, before you buy. With CS3 you can control locomotives wireless trough a browser using any device/tablet, or apps on your phone. Ore you can use VNC viewer.
(marklin/LGB has also de dedicated wireless radio controller)
Offline blid  
#6 Posted : 12 April 2020 14:35:33(UTC)
blid

Sweden   
There are different versions of z21 and Z21. I have no knowledge of them and their differences. I suppose you have already googled and found out witch one suits your needs. I would be very surprised if they don't support at least 29 DCC functions.
On your layout I don't think you want to play train engineer with the mfx+ mode going for supplies when needed. So DCC mode will do. But the engine decoder have to support that if you go z21. The z21 might support Marklin Motorola as well, but I don't think you want to use that.
OneGauge Marklin and MTH, ESU ECoS 2.1 on LGB tracks. MTH 3-rail 0-gauge, DCS on GarGraves tracks. Z: Rokuhan tracks, analog or DCC+TC Gold.
Offline bph  
#7 Posted : 12 April 2020 16:23:19(UTC)
bph

Norway   
Originally Posted by: blid Go to Quoted Post
I would be very surprised if they don't support at least 29 DCC functions.

No, Z21 does not support more than 29 DCC functions, ref Z21 FAQ page.

Offline blid  
#8 Posted : 12 April 2020 17:11:50(UTC)
blid

Sweden   
I guess it is the same for the z21 - the one husafreak is interested in.
OneGauge Marklin and MTH, ESU ECoS 2.1 on LGB tracks. MTH 3-rail 0-gauge, DCS on GarGraves tracks. Z: Rokuhan tracks, analog or DCC+TC Gold.
Offline husafreak  
#9 Posted : 12 April 2020 17:58:22(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
It sounds as if the z21 can be used with Marklin HO features. And the z21 and Z21 both support the same number of DCC functions. I thought it was odd that, for instance, the features chart of a Minitrix N loco has a column for DCC, and all of the available functions are checked off there, but the Marklin HO chart does not have a column for DCC, just the columns I listed in the original post. It just says DCC in the product description. So I wanted to know if there was something limited about DCC ops. Anyway, it doesn't sound like there is. I'm goin to do a search and maybe start another thread about Roco/Marklin ops but I think I can buy a HO Marklin and operate it with a z21! Much appreciated.
Offline husafreak  
#10 Posted : 12 April 2020 18:07:24(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
I should add that if I was doing a full on layout with Marklin HO I wouldn't hesitate to get a CS3, they are very nice! But this is to be a very simple standalone remote layout, no switching, one track, one loco. I just want to be able to operate the functions.
Offline H0  
#11 Posted : 12 April 2020 19:38:32(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: husafreak Go to Quoted Post
So, for example, I'm looking at the 39209 Class 1.5 loco. It is an Era IV steam loco with the look and features I want. I can pull Era IV cars like the Slberlinge or POP cars.
Era IV was the time of the iron curtain.
There may be prototype photos for a BR 01.5 with Popwagen, but I think it's unlikely to have it with Silberlinge. But I didn't check prototype photos and maybe both variations have happened in history.
Märklin offered a nice set of Tillig coaches for this loco, but IIRC installing interior lights is a bit difficult.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline mvd71  
#12 Posted : 12 April 2020 21:00:55(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
If you just want the functions, the a second hand CS2 will give you all the functionality in terms of loco effects, and DCC capability without the price of a new cs3.
Offline husafreak  
#13 Posted : 13 April 2020 01:17:15(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
Good point, that is a backup plan, CS2.
So I ordered Marklin 26928 1928 Year of the Rheingold set. Era II. No concerns about prototypical train with that set! Should look beautiful!
Offline H0  
#14 Posted : 14 April 2020 10:05:21(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: husafreak Go to Quoted Post
So I ordered Marklin 26928 1928 Year of the Rheingold set. Era II. No concerns about prototypical train with that set!
Good joke, really.
If you run the train as the photo in the catalogue shows then it is not prototypical.
You need a baggage car behind the loco and the kitchen in one coach also serves the next coach without kitchen, unlike the photo shows.

Otherwise a very nice set. Congratulations.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline husafreak  
#15 Posted : 14 April 2020 19:08:51(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
Oh! Cringe. I guess Marklin takes some liberties too, but we know that. Yesterday I found three pages of forum discussing this set, coming from Z scale I was floored by that! From the Wikipedia link there I read about the alternating kitchen coaches (which I cannot reproduce) and additional baggage car. Some on the forum thread were adding a Brawa baggage car which I would do but I could not find one. There were no pictures of the train on Wiki. But it is a great train, isn't it? At least I'll have a colorful story to tell visitors as this train will run in a prominent place in my home ;)