Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline morsing  
#1 Posted : 01 April 2020 07:36:26(UTC)
morsing

United Kingdom   
Is this a common problem?

Sadly I think I bought this a year and two months ago, I will check warranty but not much hope.

Do I dare open this up? Can I even? And would it be fixable?

Thanks
-----
Modelling west Denmark era IV - possibly with some out-of-place elements!
Marklin C-track + CS3+
12m2 layout to be controlled by RocRail
Offline cookee_nz  
#2 Posted : 01 April 2020 07:40:35(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
I would not give up too easily on Warranty, depending where you bought it. If from a Dealer, you should absolutely be covered.

But if privately (ebay etc) may be a different matter but in that case I'd email Marklin Service at least and ask.

You have nothing to lose but don't open until it's your last resort lest you invalidate any possible warranty

Edited by user 01 April 2020 21:30:28(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline kiwiAlan  
#3 Posted : 01 April 2020 09:05:00(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: morsing Go to Quoted Post
Is this a common problem?

Sadly I think I bought this a year and two months ago, I will check warranty but not much hope.

Do I dare open this up? Can I even? And would it be fixable?

Thanks

If it is like the CS2 there is a plastic piece between the stop bar and the switch mounted on the PCB. I have a CS2 plastic piece if that has broken, but you would need to wait until I get back to the UK.

I thought I had a photo of the CS2 I repaired over on this thread but it only has the component side of the PCB.

The holes that hold the plastic piece can be seen at the bottom of the first picture, central along the bottom of the PCB. The switch and plastic piece are on the other side.

If you do decide to take the back off you need a Torx 8 or 9 (can't remember which I used) screwdriver. It needs to have a shank length of 2-3 inches, it is no good using bits that fit 1/4" hex tool as the holes in the back are too deep and too small a diameter to allow the tool to go down. The back will come off once you work it over the connectors on the back panel.

Offline AshleyH  
#4 Posted : 01 April 2020 09:13:25(UTC)
AshleyH

United Kingdom   
Thought there was a two year warranty as a minimum on Marklin?
Or is that just the locomotives?
Offline JohnjeanB  
#5 Posted : 01 April 2020 12:20:38(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi

I have the same experience with one of my CS2s: The large STOP bar pushes a SMD (Surface Mounted Device) switch directly on the rear of the motherboard.
The SMD switch is not of the best quality, it can be replaced of repaired (temporarily) with a contact spray.
It is very likely the solution is the same on the CS3
Cheers
Jean
Offline morsing  
#6 Posted : 01 April 2020 15:30:07(UTC)
morsing

United Kingdom   
Ok, thanks. I'm not too keen on opening it up.

I have emailed MSL asking about warranty, as it doesn't specifically say anywhere on there site that I could find. And I don't have my old track box anymore, so no trains running until I get it back.

Thanks
Henrik
-----
Marklin C-track + CS3+
Offline franciscohg  
#7 Posted : 01 April 2020 16:19:13(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Hi!
If it is contact Problem... Dont you have a slave unit (CS2, MS1, MS2) to check and/or continue running your trains until you have a permanent solution?
Regards
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline morsing  
#8 Posted : 01 April 2020 16:21:54(UTC)
morsing

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: franciscohg Go to Quoted Post
Hi!
If it is contact Problem... Dont you have a slave unit (CS2, MS1, MS2) to check and/or continue running your trains until you have a permanent solution?
Regards

Hi,

I have an MS2 but no track box. I used to have two MS2s and a track box but I sold one and the 'box when I got the CS3.

I will just have to lay track, do wiring and maybe even scenery until my CS3 comes back :-p

Thanks
-----
Marklin C-track + CS3+
Offline kiwiAlan  
#9 Posted : 02 April 2020 07:18:02(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: morsing Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: franciscohg Go to Quoted Post
Hi!
Regards

Hi,

I have an MS2 but no track box. I used to have two MS2s and a track box but I sold one and the 'box when I got the CS3.

I will just have to lay track, do wiring and maybe even scenery until my CS3 comes back :-p

Thanks

But you can plug the ms2 into one of the connectors on the front of the cs3 and that will then enable you to control the stop function from the ms2, to keep yourself running until Marklin answer your inquiry.
Offline morsing  
#10 Posted : 02 April 2020 08:47:56(UTC)
morsing

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

But you can plug the ms2 into one of the connectors on the front of the cs3 and that will then enable you to control the stop function from the ms2, to keep yourself running until Marklin answer your inquiry.

Oh I see... At the moment I just tap Stop in the top corner of the CS3 screen but yes, I could use the MS2.
-----
Marklin C-track + CS3+
Offline David Dewar  
#11 Posted : 02 April 2020 20:27:12(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
With the current health problems and the fact that Marklin repairs are slow anyway your CS3 would be away for a considerable time. Providing you can still use it I would keep it at present.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline owidgie  
#12 Posted : 02 April 2020 22:46:20(UTC)
owidgie

United States   
I have had this problem and fixed it easily. I have also fixed others with the same problem. So far for me there has been no broken parts, it is just a misalignment of the plastic pieces. Usually just by taking it apart it will realign itself and give that familiar tone when it clicks.

There is one problem with this though. If you open it you void the warranty because one of the torx screws is under the security label. So do it at your own risk.

Rick
Offline morsing  
#13 Posted : 03 April 2020 10:20:13(UTC)
morsing

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
With the current health problems and the fact that Marklin repairs are slow anyway your CS3 would be away for a considerable time. Providing you can still use it I would keep it at present.

That could be a blessing in disguise! I think one of the reasons I still haven't got all my track laid is that I get distracted and start shunting my trains around on the station grid. With the CS3, I have no choice but to do tracking and wiring!

Originally Posted by: owidgie Go to Quoted Post
I have had this problem and fixed it easily. I have also fixed others with the same problem. So far for me there has been no broken parts, it is just a misalignment of the plastic pieces. Usually just by taking it apart it will realign itself and give that familiar tone when it clicks.

There is one problem with this though. If you open it you void the warranty because one of the torx screws is under the security label. So do it at your own risk.

Rick

It makes the same click though. It's still under warranty, so I will send it back rather than risk it...

Thanks
-----
Marklin C-track + CS3+
Offline Tie  
#14 Posted : 21 April 2020 20:50:22(UTC)
Tie

Norway   
If it is the stop function that does work. I. E. There is always current on track. Why not make a simple switch on the track supply? On my cs3 the software did not catch the stop command during testing of events. Mechaniccally and when restarted it worked. After that I inserted a red painted emergency switch on track current supply. Should do the same job.