Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Ivan  
#1 Posted : 08 March 2020 09:51:23(UTC)
Ivan

Germany   
Hi,
Several Märklin users confirmed that electronic reverse units cause motors to run slower than expected.In my case it is 3318, depicted with Siemens Märklin reverse unit (often wrongly assumed to be a decoder).
One of Marklin users measured the electricity that flows into the motor, then replaced reverse unit with conventional (mechanical) reverse unit,and the loco run faster being supplied with more electricity (measured again).
It is obvious that electronic reverse units consume more power than conventional (mechanical) units.The cause of this phenomenon remains unclear, though.
Is it normal for at least some of electronic units to behave like this or capacitors lost capacity after decades of storage ? Or something else ?

I will run my 3318 with electronic unit because I am not an expert to change it.Besides,everything works fine (lights and direction change is flawless) except for slower speed compared with other locos at the same setting on white transformer.
And: Do not fix what is not broken.
Thanks for sharing your experience.

UserPostedImage
Offline JohnjeanB  
#2 Posted : 08 March 2020 11:40:21(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Ivan

I belive Märklin used multiple types of these electronic reverse units
- combined with electromechanical relay (e.g.: my 3309 Telex loco) around 1980
- purely electronic (I don't have any of those)
The idea was:
1- to avoid the jerk movement when an inversion pulse was sent
2- to stop the flash effect on bulbs at the same time
3- to provide a somewhat constant illumination of direction lights no matter what the selected speed was.

So it is possible in your case that some electronic components (transistors, etc) in series with the motor have a slowdown effect to correct the jerk movement.

This is the little I know about this sorry.
Cheers
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline GaryTrooper  
#3 Posted : 26 March 2020 12:11:25(UTC)
GaryTrooper

United States   
I can confirm slower locomotive speeds with a Delta decoder set in analog mode compared to an electromechanical reversing unit. I have jumpered out a couple of Delta decoders and ran the locomotives, in one direction only, from a direct connection to the pickup shoe, with no decoder or electromechanical reversing unit in the motor circuit. The locomotives clearly run slower with the decoder in the motor circuit. I actually like the slower motor speeds and I haven't observed a reduction in power on steep inclines.
G - LGB
O - Lionel and MTH
HO - Marklin
N - Mix of manufacturers mostly Kato
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by GaryTrooper
Offline RayF  
#4 Posted : 26 March 2020 12:55:56(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I have never had the urge to run my locomotives at breakneck speed anyway, so I guess I welcome the fact that the speed is reduced when a decoder or other electronics is present.

As far as Delta is concerned, I find that in many delta locos the minimum speed at which the loco actually moves smoothly is way too high, so I have been methodically upgrading my Delta locos with modern decoders as time and money permits.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Purellum  
#5 Posted : 26 March 2020 12:57:56(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Originally Posted by: Ivan Go to Quoted Post
Is it normal for at least some of electronic units to behave like this

Yes BigGrin

In a electromechanical relay the current is only passing a relay contact on it's route from tracks to the motor
and back to the tracks; the voltage is not being reduced in the relay contact.

In a electronic reverse unit the current is passing through diodes and transistors,
each of which reduces the voltage with approximately 0,7 Volts.

I expect the current to pass 2 diodes and 2 transistors on its way = 4 x 0,7V = 2,8V voltage reduction.

Per.

Cool

If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Purellum