Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline hvc  
#1 Posted : 06 March 2020 11:45:19(UTC)
hvc

Australia   
I've been in Wellington for work for a couple days, and this evening I was lucky enough to visit the MMRC, courtesy of Cookee's suggestion, transport and hospitality.

First Cookee was kind enough to not just invite me into his home, but leave me in control of his Wonder Wheel - a grave responsibility indeed. How can I not be envious of a man with a working Wunderrad in his hallway? Oh well, good to have some things to aim for in life.

Then we went to the club house in Upper Hutt. Despite the fact that is was "not a club night" there were a quite a few folks there and lots of activity.

IMG_9966.jpg

IMG_9965.jpg

The club has been running for more than 40 years, and is amazingly active, and so many people were working on projects to help other club members and their families who are going through hard times. I felt very welcome, and there is a real generosity of spirit.

Thanks!

-Herman
- Herman
thanks 12 users liked this useful post by hvc
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#2 Posted : 06 March 2020 21:42:47(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Good to be able to meet you Herman, visitors are always welcome. We just had our modular layout up for a couple of months, but that was taken down to make room to put up the main layout Bergtalbahn.......which hasn't happened as yet.

In the background you see some guys working on building an 8' x 4' layout, which is being built for the Grandson of a Club member who unfortunately passed away in the middle of last year. The Grandson loved running trains with his Granddad, so will have something to run trains on and remember his Granddad by. The track on the layout is from the Granddad's layout, which unfortunately had to be dismantled due to his wife needing to move houses.

At the other end of the scale, in the foreground MMRCJohn is working on a new building for the Gauge 1 layout Zittau. Behind him another member is working on weathering brickwork for the Hertzdorf viaduct (pictures of the viaduct in John's thread).

Edited by user 08 March 2020 00:51:58(UTC)  | Reason: Spelling

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline cookee_nz  
#3 Posted : 08 March 2020 00:14:56(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Was great to see you again Herman and my pleasure to help you get along. We just fitted right into the goings-on in the clubrooms and we hope/expect to see you more often - when you can time your trips to match :-)

By the way, I located this old thread from 2011 when we were in Melbourne and my efforts to get together with some locals.

Three guys ended up coming along out to Talyors Lakes and a most enjoyable afternoon was had running on my little shop-layout

https://www.marklin-user...-for-a-cool-holiday-Beer

Maybe you can put the word out for a similar event?

Good luck
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline PJMärklin  
#4 Posted : 08 March 2020 03:39:42(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post
By the way, I located this old thread from 2011 when we were in Melbourne and my efforts to get together with some locals ... Maybe you can put the word out for a similar event?

Would be pleased to attendSmile