Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Br01  
#1 Posted : 26 February 2020 13:15:39(UTC)
Br01

Portugal   
3D86E11F-D2D6-439E-BB98-7E2C045047A1.jpeg

Hi,
I have several (5 or 6) Marklin c track curved turnouts 24671/24672 where the turnout doesn’t move completely. This happens manually and also with the Marklin motor+decoder.

I noticed that with every other turnout if you force a change directly in the track with your finger after you release the turnout comes back to the original position (spring effect). In these affected turnouts it just doesn’t return ou stays in the middle.

I tired to open it but don’t understand exactly what is the problem. I’m not sure if this could be a lubrification problem (?) or if there are any spare parts that could solve the problem.

These are also brand new but bought 4 years ago so no warranty.
I have several (5 or 6) others of the same model that work perfectly. But all my other normal Marklin turnouts 24611/2 (30+)don’t show this problem, so in my case this is linked with the curved turnouts only.

Appreciate any suggestions or topic redirection.

Best regards
J
Offline Copenhagen  
#2 Posted : 26 February 2020 15:24:09(UTC)
Copenhagen

You can get access to the mechanism if you pry off the cover on the underside and give if a whiff off a suitable lubricant. I have used some teflon spray. I wouldn't go overboard with heavy oil or grease. Maybe even loosening the cover slightly will remedy the problem. The C track turnouts aren't the most sophisticated pieces of gear, sadly.

The problem is probably that sometimes there is too much friction between the moving plastic parts because of the way they are seated (or something like that).
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Copenhagen
Offline jvuye  
#3 Posted : 26 February 2020 23:02:09(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: Br01 Go to Quoted Post
3D86E11F-D2D6-439E-BB98-7E2C045047A1.jpeg

Hi,
I have several (5 or 6) Marklin c track curved turnouts 24671/24672 where the turnout doesn’t move completely. This happens manually and also with the Marklin motor+decoder.

I noticed that with every other turnout if you force a change directly in the track with your finger after you release the turnout comes back to the original position (spring effect). In these affected turnouts it just doesn’t return ou stays in the middle.

I tired to open it but don’t understand exactly what is the problem. I’m not sure if this could be a lubrification problem (?) or if there are any spare parts that could solve the problem.

These are also brand new but bought 4 years ago so no warranty.
I have several (5 or 6) others of the same model that work perfectly. But all my other normal Marklin turnouts 24611/2 (30+)don’t show this problem, so in my case this is linked with the curved turnouts only.

Appreciate any suggestions or topic redirection.

Best regards
J

That happens usually when picking up some dirt/particles that increase friction.
Especially true on layouts laying on the ground.
I would *never* use lubricants in these switches mechanisms! (Over 65 years of personal experience on that one!!)
You'll just pick up dirt faster and keep it then sticking to the mechanism.
Try vacuum it, but at low intensity, or use some compressed air from you airbrush .
If you end up opening the mechanism, be very careful and take a picture first of how the pieces are originally placed.
Just preying the base plate open may disturb their placement.
Hope this helps
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline Minok  
#4 Posted : 27 February 2020 01:38:20(UTC)
Minok

United States   
With the c-track turnouts, there are springs in them that should be pushing them to their one-side-or-other position I believe, so if the lever or motor pushes it past the center pivot point, it should snap to the opposite locked position against the rail.

If its going there and then returning to the middle I'd look at those springs as not holding the switch in the end position and instead allowing it to bounce off. If its just never making it there it could well be too much friction and the spring in the switch cannot overcome it to push to the final position - clean out the dirt/debris.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Minok
Offline applor  
#5 Posted : 27 February 2020 03:46:50(UTC)
applor

Australia   
Yes the bane of the Marklin turnout design, the 'spring' mechanism. It allows trains to run reverse without having to set the correct turnout position but leads to these issues where the spring mechanism doesn't work properly.

On my K track layout this is a problem of friction between the tongue and the track or the 'spring' underneath. On K track the 'spring' is just a piece of plastic linking the lever mechanism to the tongue drawbar.
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by applor
Offline Br01  
#6 Posted : 01 March 2020 01:23:51(UTC)
Br01

Portugal   
Hi

Thanks for all your feedback. I’ll try to look for particles / vacuum.

It’s curious that this only happened with the curved turnouts as I have 50+ of the regulars and all work fine. It could be a batch problem or a design issue.

Regards
J