Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline river6109  
#1 Posted : 26 February 2020 05:46:40(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Much has been talked about Märklin metal and comparing them with other products where the body is made of plastic., I'm sure there are major benefits from made out of metal as I once dropped a SBB Ae 6/6 to the floor and all it was a bent buffer but I also can confer this type of accident isn't repeated very often or we prevent it from happening under most circumstances.

I've written or mentioned this before, especially when it came to a crocodile made by Märklin (and not all models where made with a metal body) we had the Märklin knockers who claimed the Roco Crocodile model is made of plastic, apparently the person who claimed this and putting these type of allegations into a public forum doesn't help until the case is decided guilty or not guilty, and the verdict is guilty: the Roco Crocodile has the outer part made of metal and so is the frame, it only the middle body which is plastic, further more the Roco model has all wheels driven and I made a test between a Roco and a Märklin crocodile model (Roco 14253) Märklin 3652) and the outcome was as I predicted, the pulling power of the Roco model was greater than the Märklin model and the test was done by connecting both locos and see if one can pull the other one from its standing position.So what is so bad about the Roco Model and I couldn't find anything, furthermore to convert the Märklin model with a 5 pole highefficiency motor I didn't need to do it with the Roco model, the light functions had to be modified on both locos.
We always hear about Märklin models made out of metal but recently I've noticed newer models have more and more plastic parts being added and this does not include the body or frame but bogies and other non mechanical parts.

the point I like to make all seem to be quite on the front line when it comes to Märklin use of plastic parts but the critics are out in full force whenever there is model from another manufacturer being shown and its made of plastic and it has all these extra parts which fall off and the latter I agree but all I have to do is follow the track and I'll find them so long my son hasn't used the vacuum cleaner before hand.

I would suggest these people who automatically criticize other models than Märklin, at least get the facts straight before airing your biased opinion and make sure your Märklin model hasn't got all these plastic parts and if so do mention it as well and not the generic or bandwagon version: its all metal.
We always hear: here we go again these Märklin bashers but is ok when bashing other products (not lately) but one thing I can say with confidence Märklin steam powered locos are superior than other brands as the drive mechanism is in the loco and not the tender. and therefore I have a very small amount fo steam locos from other brands except when it comes to tank locos

The recent review of the latest Märklin model: SBB Fc 2x3/4 Cat. No 39520 has been with facts, honesty and extra fair punches had been pulled about the model itself.: likes and dislikes, I congratulate the author
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline Copenhagen  
#2 Posted : 26 February 2020 09:08:59(UTC)
Copenhagen

I think the "can of worms" is all in your own head.
Offline thing fish  
#3 Posted : 26 February 2020 09:29:21(UTC)
thing fish

Turkey   
Hi John,

I think your comments will not open a can of worms.

My personal comment on the issue is like this: If I like a model, I'll buy it regardless of the manufacturer; although my preference will always be Marklin because I'm familiar with their production techniques so I can reengineer (open the chasis, work on electrical connections, etc.) it more easily. I personally am not very much interested in the technical issues like pulling power.

If there are aspects on my models that I don't like, I just try to modify them. I have a Liliput Tigerli, I hated the yellow plastic handles so I made them of brass, painted and installed them ... problem solved.

My two cents ...

C.

Edited by user 26 February 2020 13:31:03(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by thing fish
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#4 Posted : 26 February 2020 09:43:26(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Who has been 'bashing' other makes.......??

Usually it's the Marklin bashers bashing Marklin.....
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline kimballthurlow  
#5 Posted : 26 February 2020 10:56:01(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
The can of worms I just opened in my kitchen cupboard, has a label which says:

"Kimball, you just like locomotives made of metal - just like this can".

Which is why I own old Hornby Dublo diecast from the 1950s, and modern Märklin diecast models from about 2005.

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline danmarklinman  
#6 Posted : 26 February 2020 14:33:57(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
Much has been talked about Märklin metal and comparing them with other products where the body is made of plastic., I'm sure there are major benefits from made out of metal as I once dropped a SBB Ae 6/6 to the floor and all it was a bent buffer but I also can confer this type of accident isn't repeated very often or we prevent it from happening under most circumstances.

I've written or mentioned this before, especially when it came to a crocodile made by Märklin (and not all models where made with a metal body) we had the Märklin knockers who claimed the Roco Crocodile model is made of plastic, apparently the person who claimed this and putting these type of allegations into a public forum doesn't help until the case is decided guilty or not guilty, and the verdict is guilty: the Roco Crocodile has the outer part made of metal and so is the frame, it only the middle body which is plastic, further more the Roco model has all wheels driven and I made a test between a Roco and a Märklin crocodile model (Roco 14253) Märklin 3652) and the outcome was as I predicted, the pulling power of the Roco model was greater than the Märklin model and the test was done by connecting both locos and see if one can pull the other one from its standing position.So what is so bad about the Roco Model and I couldn't find anything, furthermore to convert the Märklin model with a 5 pole highefficiency motor I didn't need to do it with the Roco model, the light functions had to be modified on both locos.
We always hear about Märklin models made out of metal but recently I've noticed newer models have more and more plastic parts being added and this does not include the body or frame but bogies and other non mechanical parts.

the point I like to make all seem to be quite on the front line when it comes to Märklin use of plastic parts but the critics are out in full force whenever there is model from another manufacturer being shown and its made of plastic and it has all these extra parts which fall off and the latter I agree but all I have to do is follow the track and I'll find them so long my son hasn't used the vacuum cleaner before hand.

I would suggest these people who automatically criticize other models than Märklin, at least get the facts straight before airing your biased opinion and make sure your Märklin model hasn't got all these plastic parts and if so do mention it as well and not the generic or bandwagon version: its all metal.
We always hear: here we go again these Märklin bashers but is ok when bashing other products (not lately) but one thing I can say with confidence Märklin steam powered locos are superior than other brands as the drive mechanism is in the loco and not the tender. and therefore I have a very small amount fo steam locos from other brands except when it comes to tank locos

The recent review of the latest Märklin model: SBB Fc 2x3/4 Cat. No 39520 has been with facts, honesty and extra fair punches had been pulled about the model itself.: likes and dislikes, I congratulate the author

Nice point River👍 Personally it’s not the metal body but the design of Marklin is specific for 3 rail, and so trying to sell a dud for 3 rail is a bit of a worry for me. I have ESU as well as Marklin. But my Marklin runs smoothly, the ESU is ok but not Brilliant for it’s price!! I want to have two Roco locos. But one needs altering to run on 36 radius!! So it’s a bit ummm 🧐 am I better waiting?
Marklin and Piko era 4 SNCB , Marklin wagons
Wiking model car Fan
Faller fan including car system
Instagram: marklin1978
Wiking fan
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by danmarklinman