Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline doublereefed  
#1 Posted : 18 February 2020 22:47:43(UTC)
doublereefed

United States   
Greetings!

What does a guy need in order to operate one of these amazing locomotives with smoke, steam, sounds,... all of this amazing good stuff. I presume that this is more than DCC? I see Marklin control panels, but can't find info in English to tell me how this all works.

And one basic question.... how many minutes of full smoke effects can you expect from a loco?

Thanks!

-Richard
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by doublereefed
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 18 February 2020 23:33:49(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: doublereefed Go to Quoted Post
Greetings!

What does a guy need in order to operate one of these amazing locomotives with smoke, steam, sounds,... all of this amazing good stuff. I presume that this is more than DCC? I see Marklin control panels, but can't find info in English to tell me how this all works.

And one basic question.... how many minutes of full smoke effects can you expect from a loco?
Thanks!

-Richard

That is a Gauge 1 layout. Recent editions of steam locos come with synchronised smoke up the smoke stack, 'steam' out the whistle, and on some locos synchronised 'steam' from the cylinders. The 'steam' from the whistle and cylinders is also actually smoke from the smoke generator.

In short, what a guy needs to get a layout like this is lots of money (locos run typically between Euro 2.500 to 5,000) and lots of space if you are looking to produce a realistic layout.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline mvd71  
#3 Posted : 19 February 2020 07:17:57(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Hi Richard,

The marklin digital control is much like DCC only in a different format. All he newer marklin controllers can also run DCC however there is no need to use that option if it is driving only marklin locos. The 1 gauge locos are certainly impressive, unfortunately I can’t say ho log one of those smoke units will run for. Perhaps one of our more active 1 gauge operators can help?

Cheers....

Mike
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mvd71
Offline phils2um  
#4 Posted : 19 February 2020 08:06:07(UTC)
phils2um

United States   
I don't have any 1 gauge steam locos but the latest LGB steam locos have similar features. A fill up (about 6ml) of smoke fluid lasts 15 to 20 minutes.
Phil S.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by phils2um
Offline mmrcnzjohn  
#5 Posted : 22 February 2020 10:50:45(UTC)
mmrcnzjohn

New Zealand   
I guess there are two schools of thoughts here.

The exhibition layout route
In Wellington New Zealand there is a cadre of like minded individuals who over a couple of decades have built an exhibition layout commonly known as Istein. If the group is lucky it maybe gets exhibited 2-3 per years. One of its members also has a smaller exhibition layout that gets exhibited 1-2 times per year.

Home layout
The HO fascination with how big is big enough is a mixed issue with gauge 1. Sure bigger is better, but there are some worthy examples on here of smaller layouts.

I guess if you want gauge 1 then you need to find what is best for you.

As a crowd puller a gauge 1 locomotive with full smoke effects does pull the crowds, somehow a diesel or electric outline locomotive does not have the same effect.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mmrcnzjohn
Offline TEEWolf  
#6 Posted : 22 February 2020 17:38:27(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: doublereefed Go to Quoted Post
Greetings!

Thanks!

-Richard

Here is a brochure from Maerklin showing you as all this works. It is really short, but a good introduction. And important is at page 24 an overview of all important terms of a MRR including explanations for e.g. digital - analogue operations, AC and DC current, mfx and DCC the digital track formats, gauges, etc..

https://static.maerklin....57ac95a9a31493730041.pdf

And of course plenty of information at Maerklin's various websites too.

German on in English

https://www.maerklin.de/en/

American one

https://www.marklin.com/