Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline PJMärklin  
#1 Posted : 11 February 2020 07:21:26(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Hello Märklineers !

On the recent event of my Birthday my dear wife (with a little…ahem…guidance from me) presented me with a beautiful HO AC “3-rail” model of the DB 155 by Gützold.

We first saw the DB 155 in July 2011 from a chairlift taking us from Rüdesheim am Rhein over a vineyard up to the Niederwalddenkmal monument:

UserPostedImage

On looking down towards the Rhine we saw this :

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

I was quite enamoured of the locomotive and in due course learnt of its origins as DR 250 and ensuing fate to become DB 155 after the reunification of Germany: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DR_Class_250
As noted, I gather the Germans call it “The Electric Container” ! Laugh

Later when searching for the model, the only manufacturers of the DB 155 in HO AC “3 rail” I could find were Roco and Gützold. I was not familiar with Gützold and had previously experienced a couple of disappointments with some of my Roco AC “3-rail”s.
My interest lapsed.

Recently the model again caught my eye when I noticed it on eBay.de in “3-rail”AC version:
UserPostedImage
I am much obliged to Alsterstreek for his research subsequently on the German-speaking forums on my behalf: https://www.marklin-user...D-fur-MARKLIN#post605206 . (Thanks again Ak ThumpUp )
Ak’s research was supportive of the manufacturer's AC"3-rail" versions, following which I bought the item at auction. Here it is :

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

This is my first Gützold locomotive and I am extremely happy with it – very heavy (all metal), very nicely detailed with good paint job. It is analogue, produced for AC “3 rail” operation. I plan to convert it to digital with an ESU LokPilot v5 decoder.

Here is an image of the actual original prototype DB 155 158-9 with the original rhomboid “scissor” style pantographs,
in the DB Cargo livery as on the model :

UserPostedImage

And here is the loco on my layout at work pulling a train of container cars :

UserPostedImage

This is my third model of ex DR locos (DR 119, DR 250 and DR 243) that are now DBAG locos (DB 219, DB 155 and DB 143) after the reunification of Germany :

UserPostedImage

Regards,

PJBigGrin

Edited by moderator 15 February 2020 05:04:55(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 15 users liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline kimballthurlow  
#2 Posted : 15 February 2020 02:59:11(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: PJMärklin Go to Quoted Post
This is my first Gützold locomotive and I am extremely happy with it – very heavy (all metal), very nicely detailed with good paint job. It is analogue, produced for AC “3 rail” operation. I plan to convert it to digital with an ESU LokPilot v5 decoder.......

Regards,

PJBigGrin

Hi Phil,
That might go well in the Review section of the forum.
I can't see anyone being offended.

Kimball

/* Your wish is our command */
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow