Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline michelvr  
#1 Posted : 05 February 2020 15:31:05(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Fellow members,

I'm in need of accurate information on Märklin's C track assortment and range of products.

I'm complying information for an article that I’m writing and there is certain information that I need help with. I would like to ask my fellow members if you would know specific information on the dates and names of people who have helped in creating the Märklin C track system. Accuracies are of the most important factors in dealing with this subject.

From my recollection the Märklin C track was derived from the Alpha track back in the late 1980’s?The the Märklin C track came out sometime in 1990’s? Question(s) is this correct? What about the faulty plastic on the early Märklin C track? Why are have the C track not be expanded upon? Many more question that need to be answered for this article to have traction and to set in motion the love affair with this exclusive Märklin and Trix invention.

Your help in this endeavour will be beneficial in making my article as accurate as possible. Please note that your information will be credited with you name in the appendix of my article.

Sincerely,

Michel
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by michelvr
Offline rbw993  
#2 Posted : 05 February 2020 16:23:44(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
Actually the C Track program has been expanded upon twice that I know of. The slim turnouts, crossings,R9 curves 24229 straight, 24236 straight and 24071 adapter tracks were not part of the initial program. The second addition was the addition of the R3 curved turnouts and 24315 adapter track in 2018.

Roger
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by rbw993
Offline kweekalot  
#3 Posted : 05 February 2020 17:35:02(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
This may not be the information you are asking for, but C track is a spin off of the pre-war Bakelite Trix Express track.
Very similar snap-on/ snap-off connection and very stable track with plastic rail bed.

The tinplate Bing Tischbahn was the first H0 track, followed in 2nd place by the bakelite Trix Express track in 1935.

There is still no 100% proof that C track is based on the 1935 bakelite TE track, but it's quite obvious.

UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kweekalot
Offline kiwiAlan  
#4 Posted : 05 February 2020 23:59:03(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: michelvr Go to Quoted Post

know specific information on the dates and names of people who have helped in creating the Märklin C track system.

Nobody outside the Marklin development team knows this. It is an internally developed Marklin product.

From my recollection the Märklin C track was derived from the Alpha track back in the late 1980’s?The the Märklin C track came out sometime in 1990’s? Question(s) is this correct?

Yes, that is correct. There is a slight difference between the Alpha track and C track, and with a tiny modification the Alpha track can be mated with C track.

What about the faulty plastic on the early Märklin C track? Why are have the C track not be expanded upon? Many more question that need to be answered for this article to have traction and to set in motion the love affair with this exclusive Märklin and Trix invention.

Your help in this endeavour will be beneficial in making my article as accurate as possible. Please note that your information will be credited with you name in the appendix of my article.

Sincerely,

Michel

Also note that the tTix C track is a slightly paler colour to the Marklin C track. It is quite discernible when you put the types side by side. Trix C track also doesn't have all the items that are available in the Marklin C track range, unless they have released items without my realising. Blink

Another item to note is that the track supplied with the battery operated childrens 'My World' sets is a one piece plastic molding including the centre studs but otherwise mates with standard C track. The points also have a nicer action than the normal C track mechanism, it seems to be more robust and with a cleaner action. Also early 'My World' sets were supplied with standard C track as the 'My World' track hadn't been developed, I think they waited to see how well the concept sold before making the cheaper track.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline TEEWolf  
#5 Posted : 06 February 2020 05:27:03(UTC)
TEEWolf

Fellow members,

I'm in need of accurate information on Märklin's C track assortment and range of products.

I'm complying information for an article that I’m writing and there is certain information that I need help with. I would like to ask my fellow members if you would know specific information on the dates and names of people who have helped in creating the Märklin C track system. Accuracies are of the most important factors in dealing with this subject.

From my recollection the Märklin C track was derived from the Alpha track back in the late 1980’s?The the Märklin C track came out sometime in 1990’s? Question(s) is this correct? What about the faulty plastic on the early Märklin C track? Why are have the C track not be expanded upon? Many more question that need to be answered for this article to have traction and to set in motion the love affair with this exclusive Märklin and Trix invention.

Sincerely,

Michel

Hello Michel,

do not know anything about your German language skills. Nevertheless I add a link about the complete Maerklin track system.

"The "Maerklin H0" track systems" is the title of this article in German.
https://www.maerklin-h0-...A4rklin-h0-gleissysteme/

Very interseting for myself because of very detailed tables comparing the different parameters of Maerklin's track systems. If you need support for translation send me a PN please.

A further possibility will be a visit at the Maerklin musem itself and talk to the people there. Because they open their new Maerklineum pretty soon they must have a special group of people knowing everything about the Maerklin history. Perhaps you may get in contact with them.

Best regards

Wolfgang
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline michelvr  
#6 Posted : 06 February 2020 15:28:50(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Hello rbw993, kiwiAlan, kweekalot and TEEWolf,

Thank you all very much for the information and especially to Wolfgang for the link to The Maerklin h0 forum.de. My abilities to read and understand German is limited but the more I read the better I understand. I speak English and Dutch and understand French enough to keep me informed on the subjects that matter most.

I have lots to learn and again thank you for helping me!

Michel
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by michelvr
Offline kiwiAlan  
#7 Posted : 07 February 2020 00:07:30(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Hello rbw993, kiwiAlan, kweekalot and TEEWolf,

Thank you all very much for the information and especially to Wolfgang for the link to The Maerklin h0 forum.de. My abilities to read and understand German is limited but the more I read the better I understand. I speak English and Dutch and understand French enough to keep me informed on the subjects that matter most.

I have lots to learn and again thank you for helping me!

Michel

If using the Chrome browser this gives a very good translation (well it looked well translated from my skim through it, may be some spots that could be better if read closely). Then do a right click and 'print as PDF' to save to disk works very well.
Offline Richard Joint  
#8 Posted : 07 February 2020 01:12:43(UTC)
Richard Joint

Honduras   
Facinating forum. I am a reborn newbee but with a layout of about 500 feet on three levels. Even though everything is designed with Any Rail by the time we have set up and jointed all the rails (which snap in beautifully) you are sort of locked in. To beak (separate) the rails is sometimes very hard. We know that they break sideways and we even brake by lifting (is this viable) but otherwise one can get in a hell of a mess. Basically I want to know if seprating by vertical lift is an acceptable method and any other ideas on the subject would be much appreciated.
Offline michelvr  
#9 Posted : 07 February 2020 02:10:13(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Hello Richard Joint,

Nice to know more people are using Anyrail. My new Märklin (est 061018) C track layout was designed using Anyrail. Really nice knowing that what you can imagine, can or can not work quickly using the Anyrail program.

When you want to separate two connected pieces of C track the best method I found for disconnecting the track is to push down on two pieces and let it disconnect naturally the way it was designed to do. Push the two pieces of track down, like making a V and they separate. The way you described is wrong and can break the track.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#10 Posted : 08 February 2020 00:07:01(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Richard Joint Go to Quoted Post
Facinating forum. I am a reborn newbee but with a layout of about 500 feet on three levels. Even though everything is designed with Any Rail by the time we have set up and jointed all the rails (which snap in beautifully) you are sort of locked in. To beak (separate) the rails is sometimes very hard. We know that they break sideways and we even brake by lifting (is this viable) but otherwise one can get in a hell of a mess. Basically I want to know if seprating by vertical lift is an acceptable method and any other ideas on the subject would be much appreciated.

I find the best way to separate C track pieces is to bend the side with the rails together. This then causes the springy locking tabs underneath to come out of the bottom of the socket piece they clip into and minimises any chance of breaking off the springy tabs. It is also the method illustrated in Marklin publications.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan