Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline rhfil  
#1 Posted : 05 February 2020 00:15:35(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
Probably a beginners question but I have a CS3+ and an MS2 and two locos with the same MM address - 78. One can only be changed at the factory so obviously if I want to avoid the conflict I need to change the other one but not sure what that entails. I can see how I can reset the address with either the MS2 or the CS3+ but when I did the loco no longer responded so there must be something else I have to do. I am assuming that I need to reset the decoder chip in the loco but just want to make sure before I do that. Can anyone confirm that? And are the decoder switches similar to those on a turnout - eight switches with binary values?
Online kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 05 February 2020 00:23:43(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: rhfil Go to Quoted Post
Probably a beginners question but I have a CS3+ and an MS2 and two locos with the same MM address - 78. One can only be changed at the factory so obviously if I want to avoid the conflict I need to change the other one but not sure what that entails. I can see how I can reset the address with either the MS2 or the CS3+ but when I did the loco no longer responded so there must be something else I have to do. I am assuming that I need to reset the decoder chip in the loco but just want to make sure before I do that. Can anyone confirm that? And are the decoder switches similar to those on a turnout - eight switches with binary values?

OK, step one, what are the catalogue numbers for the locos?
Alternatively take the body off both and take a photo of the decoder. It sounds like they are fitted with Delta decoders that have switches to set the address.
Offline mike c  
#3 Posted : 05 February 2020 16:31:19(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Older delta or digital locomotives require that you manually change the dip switch settings to change the locomotive address.
Newer design decoders can be assigned their address digitally using commands from the control device, be it a 6021, a MS or a CS type device.

You cannot externally change the address of a dip switch controlled locomotive. Your options here would be to replace older decoders with newer ones.

AFAIK There is no such thing as a decoder that can only be changed at the factory.

Please provide make and model numbers for each model.

Regards

Mike C
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 05 February 2020 16:54:28(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
AFAIK There is no such thing as a decoder that can only be changed at the factory.
There are some Märklin loco manuals that indicate that address can only be changed at the factory.
But in most cases the customer can also change the address if they know which side of the soldering iron will become hot. But a soldering iron will usually be needed for those locos.
ET 194 11 and E 69 02 are examples.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline rhfil  
#5 Posted : 05 February 2020 17:54:05(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
There are three locos I am working on, a 26350 Adler which states in the instructions that the address can only be set at the factory and is so tiny that I would not be willing to mess with it. The second is a BR24 which came with a 29245 set and does not have a decoder with dip switches so probably can not be changed without changing the decoder. The third is a 37181 Reihes 3/6 which has dip switches but apparently either the decoder is dead or there is a bad connection as every setting I have tried has not resulted in a connection. I guess I just have to accept that I can not run the Adler and the BR 24 on the same layout at the same time. Not really a problem. Thanks for your interest.
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 05 February 2020 18:10:55(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: rhfil Go to Quoted Post
The second is a BR24 which came with a 29245 set and does not have a decoder with dip switches so probably can not be changed without changing the decoder.
Using a Mobile Station, a Central Station, or even an old CU 6021 you can change the address by simply programming the decoder.
Register the loco with your CS3+, put it on the programming track, change the address in the CS3+ - the lights of the loco should flash while it receives its new address.

Maybe you did not have it on the programming track while changing the address and thus it didn't work.

The manual does not lie:
• Addresses that can be set: 1 - 255
• Address set at the factory: 78
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Online kiwiAlan  
#7 Posted : 06 February 2020 00:06:28(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
There are some Märklin loco manuals that indicate that address can only be changed at the factory.
But in most cases the customer can also change the address if they know which side of the soldering iron will become hot. But a soldering iron will usually be needed for those locos.
ET 194 11 and E 69 02 are examples.

The 3686 and 3687 Glaskasten also fall into this category, and many Delta decoder fitted locos produced after Marklin regained the rights to the auto-switching technology between analogue and digital meant they no longer needed switches to set analogue mode. I think the switch was removed as a cost cutting measure.

As an aside to this I remember someone having an 83307 loco which would run in analogue mode but would just sit there on a digital layout and do nothing. Turned out the solder on the address jumper had a dry joint so it didn't have a digital address set and only ran in analogue mode.
Offline rhfil  
#8 Posted : 06 February 2020 16:14:21(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
Thanks, I was advised about the programming track from another source and am in the process of setting one up to try that. I had read about the settable address but did not understand that it was the loco address and not the function addresses. I am the type that learns from trying things rather than from reading so I possibly missed that.