Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Norton1972  
#1 Posted : 02 February 2020 18:01:09(UTC)
Norton1972

United States   
I am looking at a 33185 Locomotive to run on my analog track. Since the 33185 has a decoder will the loco run on the older track, and will the decoder work? Beautiful Locomotive and am willing to spend the money for it - but if it won't run - well drats.

Thanks,
Steve
Offline cintrans  
#2 Posted : 02 February 2020 18:22:42(UTC)
cintrans

Aruba   
Steve

If it is the Delta version, it should run fine on your analog track (switching all the dip switches to off)
You will however have no functions from the decoder

Regards
Jean-Pierre
Offline cookee_nz  
#3 Posted : 02 February 2020 18:24:49(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Norton1972 Go to Quoted Post
I am looking at a 33185 Locomotive to run on my analog track. Since the 33185 has a decoder will the loco run on the older track, and will the decoder work? Beautiful Locomotive and am willing to spend the money for it - but if it won't run - well drats.

Thanks,
Steve

That model has a Delta decoder so it should work fine under analogue control.

Not sure what you mean by "will the decoder work"? The Decoder may require the switches to be set for analogue mode and you won't be able to control lighting for example but it will drive and reverse as normal, depending what controller you use.

Hope this helps
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline Norton1972  
#4 Posted : 02 February 2020 19:40:57(UTC)
Norton1972

United States   
Marklin HO Scale K. Bay State S 3/6 4-6-2 Steam Engine and Tender 33185 Delta

This is the model I am looking at. I was kind of hoping it would make sounds but not really expecting it to. Just out of curiosity is there a way to make it work?

I have a standard Marklin power unit. So I know there is no help there.

Thanks gentlemen,
Steve
Offline cintrans  
#5 Posted : 02 February 2020 20:08:50(UTC)
cintrans

Aruba   
Steve

Not really, the Delta decoders are simple decoders.

If you want sound you need to mod the lok with another decoder (a sound decoder) and then of course you will need another controller also to make it play.... and by that time you are no longer analog and entered the digital model rail road....

BTW, like you bio, i like full size custom cars / trucks and besides the trains am into model kits of HO and 1/24 scale Big Rigs....

Jean-Pierre
Offline Norton1972  
#6 Posted : 03 February 2020 05:46:20(UTC)
Norton1972

United States   
Jean-Pierre,

Thanks for the nice words on my bio. I've been building hot rods since I was a kid. I am a trained machinist and fabricator so these HO trains have really challenged me. They are TINY! But I have really enjoyed working on this set.

Sooo - DC - can I still use the same track? I was at the local train club house and was fascinated with the dc and dcc capabilities. So it's in my future. If I don't have to replace all the track and can still use the analog to run the lights in the town I may take the plunge. I do not want to replace my setup track so if I can do it and keep the track layout it is in my future.

Thanks for all the assistance,
Steve
Offline thing fish  
#7 Posted : 03 February 2020 08:25:04(UTC)
thing fish

Turkey   
Steve hi,

I might need correction but here it is ...

DCC and Marklin digital are only 'languages' that are tramsmitted through wires and tracks (doesn't matter two or three rail). Digital commands (DCC or else) are transmitted to the decoders and translated to commands by the decoder. So, you can use any type of decoder on your rolling stock as long as you can send signals to them that they can understand; meaning you need a controller that can speak many languages (DCC, MFX, what have you).

There is an option you can use on your analog layout (which is not a correct thing to say; because as I said tracks are only a medium that carries signals, nothing else, they cannot be digital or analog) that is to use a simple (and budget friendly) controller that is Marklin Delta controller; which will enable you to run analog locos plus locos with delta decoder. There should be tons of info on Delta here or elsewhere. It might be helpful to check out.

Cem.

Edited by user 03 February 2020 17:42:45(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Mark5  
#8 Posted : 03 February 2020 17:32:18(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Hi Steve,

Yes, you can still use the same track. C-track will run more smoothly though. I run digital on M-track from time to time. (M-track is the metal track)
If you are willing to buy the loco, you might just go for it and and buy an inexpensive digital controller too.

But try running it with the analog system first. It will run fine, just no extra bells and whistles... not needed to still enjoy the train.

Best of luck,
Mark
DB DR FS NS SNCF c. 1950-65, fan of station architecture esp. from 1920-70.
In single point perspective, where do track lines meet?
Offline Norton1972  
#9 Posted : 03 February 2020 19:11:39(UTC)
Norton1972

United States   
Thanks for all the replies! I was pretty sure it would run on my 3-rail track. I was hoping that with a simple decoder I would be able to have this engine make the appropriate noises associated with a steam engine. So I found these on ebay -

Viessmann 5213 Motorola Switch Decoder for Marklin Digital

MARKLIN E606174 DECODER URC BRAND NEW IN SEALED BAG B11

Marklin 6083 Digital Decoder K 83 EX/Box

Are these types what you all are talking about?

Thanks again!
Steve
Offline thing fish  
#10 Posted : 03 February 2020 19:20:27(UTC)
thing fish

Turkey   
Sorry wrong post.
Offline Norton1972  
#11 Posted : 03 February 2020 19:28:00(UTC)
Norton1972

United States   
Cem,

You are correct - the engine has the decoder. I still don't know exactly what I am doing with the decoder/controller yet so if my questions get redundant my apologies. You've all been awesome and I do appreciate it very much.

So Mobile Station 1 is the unit that would allow the train to make the noises it should? Sooooo - will I still be able to run my switches and other accessories on my original power unit? That's one heck of a lot of wiring to replace if not. And I will lose 4 engines on the tracks. Rats - but I could sell those and purchase others that would work on the DC setup.

Thanks again!
Steve
Offline rbw993  
#12 Posted : 03 February 2020 19:42:28(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
Lets slow down for a minute and get to some basic concepts.
1. Three rail locomotives will not work on two rail track and vice versa without modification.
2. DC and AC both have analogue control modes that use simple transformers to control speed with voltage and direction by switching polarity of the rails (DC) or pulse sequence (AC).

Adding a decoder does not change the first concept. Control protocols such as DCC and MFX are not related really related to DC or AC per se.

Regards,
Roger
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rbw993
Offline thing fish  
#13 Posted : 03 February 2020 19:45:55(UTC)
thing fish

Turkey   
Cem,

You are correct - the engine has the decoder. I still don't know exactly what I am doing with the decoder/controller yet so if my questions get redundant my apologies. You've all been awesome and I do appreciate it very much.

So Mobile Station 1 is the unit that would allow the train to make the noises it should? Sooooo - will I still be able to run my switches and other accessories on my original power unit? That's one heck of a lot of wiring to replace if not. And I will lose 4 engines on the tracks. Rats - but I could sell those and purchase others that would work on the DC setup.

Thanks again!
Steve

Ok, sorry about my last post. The loco in question comes with a Delta decoder; meaning that it can run on both analog or digital set-ups. BUT it does not have no sounds. For the sounds you need to install a sound decoder on the loco like ESU Loksound (just search on eBay).

To control the loco (installed with a sound decoder) and make the sounds come out of it, you need at least MS1 (with a transformer and the connection box called "the ugly box") or better.

You need to disconnect your original power unit but not the switch controllers. Your layout must be powered by your new transformer. You can control your switches in analog even if you have a digital set-up.

I know it sounds complicated, but it is not, it's just a new realm; you just need to stay in it to completely grasp the basics.

Cem.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by thing fish
Offline thing fish  
#14 Posted : 03 February 2020 19:50:49(UTC)
thing fish

Turkey   
Originally Posted by: rbw993 Go to Quoted Post
Lets slow down for a minute and get to some basic concepts.
1. Three rail locomotives will not work on two rail track and vice versa without modification.
2. DC and AC both have analogue control modes that use simple transformers to control speed with voltage and direction by switching polarity of the rails (DC) or pulse sequence (AC).

Adding a decoder does not change the first concept. Control protocols such as DCC and MFX are not related really related to DC or AC per se.

Regards,
Roger

Roger hi,

Steve says he uses a standard Marklin power supply; that suggests he has a classic analog layout with m tracks (just supposing).

You're right on above points.

Cem.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#15 Posted : 03 February 2020 20:03:42(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Thanks for all the replies! I was pretty sure it would run on my 3-rail track. I was hoping that with a simple decoder I would be able to have this engine make the appropriate noises associated with a steam engine. So I found these on ebay -

Viessmann 5213 Motorola Switch Decoder for Marklin Digital

MARKLIN E606174 DECODER URC BRAND NEW IN SEALED BAG B11

Marklin 6083 Digital Decoder K 83 EX/Box

Are these types what you all are talking about?

Thanks again!
Steve

I'll try and answer this query ...
The 6083 (k83) is marklins original decoder to digitally control points and signals.

The Viessmann 5213 is (I think) their version of the Marklin 6083.

The marklin E606174 appears to be a decoder for fitting into a locomotive. Looking at the pictures i can see eBay offerings for it, I think it is for repairing or upgrading an entry level diesel or electric locomotive.

I don't think any of these are items you will be looking for though, to operate analogue.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline TEEWolf  
#16 Posted : 03 February 2020 23:30:35(UTC)
TEEWolf

Cem,

You are correct - the engine has the decoder. I still don't know exactly what I am doing with the decoder/controller yet

A controller is encoding a digital signal which then is sent to the decoder, where the digital signal is decoded for usage. So a controller is quite a different thing than a decoder. Whereas the MRR community does not seperate between an encoder and a decoder, which is incorrect.

So Mobile Station 1 is the unit that would allow the train to make the noises it should

It is the decoder inside the loco with a loudspeaker which allows the sound (or as you say noise).

MS 1 is an oldtimer for a controller. Today a MS 2 and/or a CS 3/ CS 3+ are the Maerklin offered controller for a Maerklin MRR. So forget about a MS 1. Or would you buy a 386 windows computer today with Windows 98 as its OPS?

A controller is for the steering of a MRR, A decoder is a converter of electronic impulses for a MRR.

Offline thing fish  
#17 Posted : 03 February 2020 23:47:11(UTC)
thing fish

Turkey   
Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post
So forget about a MS 1. Or would you buy a 386 windows computer today with Windows 98 as its OPS?

Explain difference between MS1 and MS2 please.

Cem.

Offline cintrans  
#18 Posted : 04 February 2020 00:05:01(UTC)
cintrans

Aruba   
Jean-Pierre,

Thanks for the nice words on my bio. I've been building hot rods since I was a kid. I am a trained machinist and fabricator so these HO trains have really challenged me. They are TINY! But I have really enjoyed working on this set.

Sooo - DC - can I still use the same track? I was at the local train club house and was fascinated with the dc and dcc capabilities. So it's in my future. If I don't have to replace all the track and can still use the analog to run the lights in the town I may take the plunge. I do not want to replace my setup track so if I can do it and keep the track layout it is in my future.

Thanks for all the assistance,
Steve

Steve

You can not use the Marklin tracks (3 rail) to run a "normal" DC analog (2 rail) train on it, well you probably could modify C-rails for that, but it would be a hell of a job snipping all the rails so the left and right rail would electrically be isolated from each other.

In a DC (2 rail) layout on rail side is positive the other rail negative, to reverse the train, polarity is switched. The Marklin track (3 rail) has both rails negative and the center one positive

As other said, DCC is only the language that is used between a controller and the decoder inside the train. DCC is mostly used in decoders used on DC (2 rail) systems popular in this part of the world. Motorola, MFX and others mostly on the Marklin 3 rail systems....

Digital locomotives have mostly DC motors. Delta locomotives have AC motors. Analog loks are either AC motors (Marklin / 3 rail) or DC motors (most other manufacturers / 2 rail)

It is not that big of a deal to mod a Delta lok into a "noise making" digital lok, as said install a sound decoder with speaker and perhaps a high performance motor (DC motor), get a digital controller with corresponding power supply and your all set.... you can keep your existing track that way....

Jean-Pierre
Offline H0  
#19 Posted : 04 February 2020 00:23:10(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: thing fish Go to Quoted Post
So forget about a MS 1. Or would you buy a 386 windows computer today with Windows 98 as its OPS?

Here's a picture of my Märklin MS1 controlling a DCC loco:
UserPostedImage

The LCD is limited to specific symbols and the MS1 is limited to 9 functions per loco and 10 locos in total. Standalone it only supports MM and mfx, but no mfx.

The MS2 has many more capabilities, but the MS1 may still be a good start into the world of digital MRR if you can get one cheaply.
The MS1 is a good choice as a "visitor controller" when connected to a CS1/2/3 - and in that respect it is better than the MS2 as it restricts the access of the visitor.

A 386 is blindingly fast if you use it with software written for a 286. It is dang slow if you use software written for a Pentium. It's fun to see Windows 98 being installed in just a few minutes on a modern PC (where you have to wait hours while Windows 10 installs).
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline TEEWolf  
#20 Posted : 04 February 2020 00:51:45(UTC)
TEEWolf

Cem.

Well please read these articles here:

first from Maerklin about "Archive - Historic Digital Control"

https://www.maerklin.de/...istoric-digital-control/

actual Marklin digital
https://www.maerklin.de/...mation/maerklin-digital/

https://static.maerklin....57ac95a9a31493730041.pdf

perhaps the manual from a MS 1

https://www.maerklin.de/...s/details/article/60652/

and for the MS 2 since software version 3.55. Since then the software has been changed significantly.

https://www.maerklin.de/...ts/details/article/60657

or here at Stummi. even it is in German written. But they just list the facts of a MS 1 against a MS 2. This is also for people readable without language knowledges in German

https://www.stummiforum.de/viewtopic.php?t=55860

But for you in a very short version.
A MS 2 understands the track protocols MM, MM 2 (= fx), DCC, mfx, mfx+.
A MS 1 understands the track protocols MM, MM 2 (= fx), mfx, only. Yes, a MS 1 shall not be usable for DCC decoders. Oh, as I just saw at H0 post DCC shall be possible. However, it does nothing change very much for this antique controller.

I do not really know very nuch about a MS 1, because this is a much too old equipment for myself. It is not of interest to me. My reentrance in the world of a MRR was in 2013 and I decided not to use superseded technical equipments. And can you guess, as happy I was not buying a CS 2 for X-mas in 2015, when 4 weeks later in 2016 the CS 3 was introduced? Of course I bought the CS 3+, because it comes with a galvanic isolation inside.

BTW: here an overview about Maerklin digital

https://www.maerklin.de/...Gesamt%C3%BCbersicht.pdf

Always of interest but needs a thoroughly studying.
Offline TEEWolf  
#21 Posted : 04 February 2020 00:57:50(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: cintrans Go to Quoted Post
Steve

You can not use the Marklin tracks (3 rail) to run a "normal" DC analog (2 rail) train on it, well you probably could modify C-rails for that, but it would be a hell of a job snipping all the rails so the left and right rail would electrically be isolated from each other.

In a DC (2 rail) layout on rail side is positive the other rail negative, to reverse the train, polarity is switched. The Marklin track (3 rail) has both rails negative and the center one positive

As other said, DCC is only the language that is used between a controller and the decoder inside the train. DCC is mostly used in decoders used on DC (2 rail) systems popular in this part of the world. Motorola, MFX and others mostly on the Marklin 3 rail systems....

Digital locomotives have mostly DC motors. Delta locomotives have AC motors. Analog loks are either AC motors (Marklin / 3 rail) or DC motors (most other manufacturers / 2 rail)

It is not that big of a deal to mod a Delta lok into a "noise making" digital lok, as said install a sound decoder with speaker and perhaps a high performance motor (DC motor), get a digital controller with corresponding power supply and your all set.... you can keep your existing track that way....

Jean-Pierre

Then buy TRIX tracks.

https://www.trix.de/en/products/trix-c-track/

Costs some money but save you from the work of hell removeing the pukos from Maerklin tracks.Laugh
Offline Norton1972  
#22 Posted : 04 February 2020 02:41:44(UTC)
Norton1972

United States   
Hmm - if the 3 rail tracks won't work that pretty much ended my DC/DCC dream. I am not willing to completely disassemble my layout and replace track, and switches, and decouplers, and the asundry other items that comprise a layout.

It is odd that the locomotive I am looking at has a third rail pickup under it.

BTW - here is a unit I was looking at that may be what is needed to run a DC train? https://www.ebay.com/itm...XEdahimG:sc:USPSPriority!83686!US!-1

Thanks again!
Steve
Offline Norton1972  
#23 Posted : 04 February 2020 02:44:35(UTC)
Norton1972

United States   
Here's the locomotive https://www.https://www.ebay.com/itm/60651-Marklin-Digital-Mobil-Station-controller-1-9-amp-version-Gauge-1-scale-I/372665442176?hash=item56c4975f80:g:w5sAAOSwXEdahimG:sc:USPSPriority!83686!US!-1ebay.com/itm/Marklin-HO-Scale-K-Bay-State-S-3-6-4-6-2-Steam-Engine-and-Tender-33185-Delta/113945728595?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160811114145%26meid%3Dbea3d33818b540c4a670eace8832028c%26pid%3D100667%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D8%26mehot%3Dnone%26sd%3D372665442176%26itm%3D113945728595%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2334524&_trksid=p2334524.c100667.m2042
Offline cintrans  
#24 Posted : 04 February 2020 03:29:43(UTC)
cintrans

Aruba   
Hmm - if the 3 rail tracks won't work that pretty much ended my DC/DCC dream. I am not willing to completely disassemble my layout and replace track, and switches, and decouplers, and the asundry other items that comprise a layout.

It is odd that the locomotive I am looking at has a third rail pickup under it.

BTW - here is a unit I was looking at that may be what is needed to run a DC train? https://www.ebay.com/itm...XEdahimG:sc:USPSPriority!83686!US!-1

Thanks again!
Steve

Steve

The loco your looking at (Marklin 33185) is supposed the have the third rail pickup under it, nothing odd about that...
The # 60651 controller will not run a DC train (2 rail analog) but will run the 33185 loco on your track in "digital" (Delta) mode. If you switch out the Delta decoder with a sound decoder and a speaker you can even let the loco "make noise" like in a DC/DCC model rail road....

Jean-Pierre
Offline TEEWolf  
#25 Posted : 04 February 2020 05:36:46(UTC)
TEEWolf

@Norton1972

all right lets restart your thread which I just scanned quickly. As I understood you want to buy this loco Maerklin 33185. Do you want to buy this loco because of its colour or because it is a S 3/6 or because of its price or because of its Delta-decoder inside to run it in analogue mode?

Then you are planning to build into the S 3/6 a new decoder with sound?

Do you have already a Maerklin layout with M-tracks (which is a always 3 L track) running in analogue mode?

I can tell you a lot of people running their one and only layout in analogue mode (for Maerklin always means you are using AC), and they can switch the same layout into the digital mode. Running then their digital locos on the same layout as well with digital current. This is not AC and it is not DC. It is a mixture of both, the so called digital current. This is possible. But it is not possible to run any other decoder than a Delta one on a AC analogue mode layout, especially you cannot get the functions you are looking for like sound, etc.

Why do you want to start with a 2 rail system when you got already a 3 rail system?

DCC you can be used on a digital 3 rail system too.

You can use a analogue and digital layout parallel, but never at the same time.

After getting your answers of my questions, I think I can tell you what will be possible with the railway you already got and what are you planning for.

Last year I bought the Maerklin S 3/6 39436

https://www.maerklin.de/...s/details/article/39436/

with a multifunctional decoder inside. It is a really gorgeous loco. But it is in green not brown. If you want it in brown buy the one at eBay and get a new high frequency motor and mSD/3 decoder inside. Then you got almost the same technical equipment inside your S 3/6 as my green one has.

ciao

Wolfgang

P.S. The MS 1 (you set the link to eBay) is totally overpriced. Forget it to buy a MS 1 for a 120 $. And it is just the MS 1 you also need a track box and a power supply for it as well. At one of my Maerklin dealer in Germany you can buy a complete brand new digital set, means MS 2, track box, power supply for 90€ plus shipping costs to the US are 40 €. So alltogether it looks like 130 €, but you get a refund of the German VAT by about 15%. Think about this offer.
Offline Norton1972  
#26 Posted : 04 February 2020 07:32:44(UTC)
Norton1972

United States   
all right lets restart your thread which I just scanned quickly. As I understood you want to buy this loco Maerklin 33185. Do you want to buy this loco because of its colour or because it is a S 3/6 or because of its price or because of its Delta-decoder inside to run it in analogue mode? ""I thought it looked really nice, but green is the color of my other Analog Engine.""

Then you are planning to build into the S 3/6 a new decoder with sound? ""I hadn't planned on anything per se, I was hoping there was a way to make the internal sound unit work.""

Do you have already a Maerklin layout with M-tracks (which is a always 3 L track) running in analogue mode? ""I do and like it very much.""

I can tell you a lot of people running their one and only layout in analogue mode (for Maerklin always means you are using AC), and they can switch the same layout into the digital mode. Running then their digital locos on the same layout as well with digital current. This is not AC and it is not DC. It is a mixture of both, the so called digital current. This is possible. But it is not possible to run any other decoder than a Delta one on a AC analogue mode layout, especially you cannot get the functions you are looking for like sound, etc. "I like the sound of this"

Why do you want to start with a 2 rail system when you got already a 3 rail system? "" I don't want to go to a 2 rail system. I am specifically looking to use my 3 rail and have the DC work on it. I chose that particular locomotive because it will run on the 3-rail system and it is a lovely train. I am not invested in the color."""

DCC you can be used on a digital 3 rail system too. I am struggling with DC and DCC is beyond my old brain to get into at this stage -maybe the future."""

You can use a analogue and digital layout parallel, but never at the same time. ""In other words on two separate tracks. On for the analog and one for the DC and they cannot be on the same set of tracks - I this correct?"""

After getting your answers of my questions, I think I can tell you what will be possible with the railway you already got and what are you planning for.

Last year I bought the Maerklin S 3/6 39436

https://www.maerklin.de/...s/details/article/39436/

with a multifunctional decoder inside. It is a really gorgeous loco. But it is in green not brown. If you want it in brown buy the one at eBay and get a new high frequency motor and mSD/3 decoder inside. Then you got almost the same technical equipment inside your S 3/6 as my green one has.

ciao

P.S. The MS 1 (you set the link to eBay) is totally overpriced. Forget it (OK have forgotten it) to buy a MS 1 for a 120 $. And it is just the MS 1 you also need a track box and a power supply for it as well. At one of my Maerklin dealer in Germany you can buy a complete brand new digital set, means MS 2, track box, power supply for 90€ plus shipping costs to the US are 40 €. So alltogether it looks like 130 €, but you get a refund of the German VAT by about 15%. Think about this offer. ""So with this setup I don't have to replace anything in the locomotive itself just the pieces in this setup hooked to the track,and together, will work?"" And the total cost runs about $150 US.""

I am off to bed for now but will check in in the morning. Guten Abend, Steve
Offline Norton1972  
#27 Posted : 04 February 2020 07:35:41(UTC)
Norton1972

United States   
And there is no way I can afford the green one like yours. But in order to use the Brown one I would have to buy new parts for it to make it work??

Wowser - beautiful Loco TEEwolf. I am envious!!!
Offline thing fish  
#28 Posted : 04 February 2020 18:26:07(UTC)
thing fish

Turkey   
Forget it to buy a MS 1 for a 120 $. And it is just the MS 1 you also need a track box and a power supply for it as well.

Many MS1 sets (transformer + uglybox track) can be found on eBay for under EUR50.- + shipping.

Offline Norton1972  
#29 Posted : 04 February 2020 19:05:47(UTC)
Norton1972

United States   
Forget it to buy a MS 1 for a 120 $. And it is just the MS 1 you also need a track box and a power supply for it as well.

Many MS1 sets (transformer + uglybox track) can be found on eBay for under EUR50.- + shipping.

I can't find anything even remotely like the MS1 sets on ebay - I can find the transformer for $120 or so Maybe I'm not inputing the correct search words

Thanks,
Steve

Offline thing fish  
#30 Posted : 04 February 2020 19:07:41(UTC)
thing fish

Turkey   
Steve hi,

Try "www.ebay.de" and search for "marklin mobile station 1", you'll find many ...

Cem.
Offline Norton1972  
#31 Posted : 04 February 2020 19:08:50(UTC)
Norton1972

United States   
Ah so!! Germany! I was looking in the US - - - Thanks - - -
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Norton1972
Offline Norton1972  
#32 Posted : 04 February 2020 19:16:51(UTC)
Norton1972

United States   
Offline thing fish  
#33 Posted : 04 February 2020 19:18:37(UTC)
thing fish

Turkey   

Even better, this is MS2 set.
Offline Norton1972  
#34 Posted : 04 February 2020 19:30:32(UTC)
Norton1972

United States   
Excellent - I made him an offer - we'll now see - -
Offline thing fish  
#35 Posted : 04 February 2020 19:32:24(UTC)
thing fish

Turkey   
Way to go Steve! This is a very nice and exciting stepping into digital, enjoy!

Cem.
Offline Norton1972  
#36 Posted : 04 February 2020 19:37:23(UTC)
Norton1972

United States   
Thanks Cem - - I think it will be an interesting trip - but I am excited about having sounds that will bring this setup to life. On one of our trips this summer I plan to digitally record an hour or so of train yard noises. i can then play this back on a CD with a small speaker under the layout.

Onward and upward!

Thanks again all -and I am sure there will be more questions

Steve
Offline thing fish  
#37 Posted : 04 February 2020 19:41:38(UTC)
thing fish

Turkey   
Thanks again all -and I am sure there will be more questions

Any time ...

Here, you'll find all the answers.

C.

Offline TEEWolf  
#38 Posted : 04 February 2020 19:54:38(UTC)
TEEWolf

Indeed, I would participate in this bidding - good offer. Give you a limit till where you will bit. If you get the acceptance bid. It is really a good entry into the digital world. Probabely it does not have the latest software update, but this can be solved. Very good is the offer of a MS 2, a track box and the necessary power supply together. You can plug all in and start digital running immediately. Do not bother if it is grey and not black. I have the grey version as well. Technically identical with the black one. Only the colour has changed, because the new CS 3 came also in black. The CS 2 was in grey too.
Offline Norton1972  
#39 Posted : 05 February 2020 04:50:26(UTC)
Norton1972

United States   
I bought the setup for $63.50. Now to find a locomotive. I'm leery of the one on ebay as it has not been tested. So I'll check on the site here to see what's available.

Be well all,
Steve
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Norton1972
Offline thing fish  
#40 Posted : 05 February 2020 11:11:16(UTC)
thing fish

Turkey   
Very good score Steve!

I'd suggest (knowing that you want a loco with sounds) you try to buy a loco of your liking WITH sound (and please be careful as locos with horn sound only also passes for 'sound loco') instead of buying a loco and putting in a sound decoder afterwards. This is much more budget friendly.

C.
Offline TEEWolf  
#41 Posted : 05 February 2020 22:32:13(UTC)
TEEWolf

I bought the setup for $63.50. Now to find a locomotive. I'm leery of the one on ebay as it has not been tested. So I'll check on the site here to see what's available.

Be well all,
Steve

Congratulation, you bought a MS 2 for half of the price of a MS 1. Why don't you buy this S 3/6? It is a nice and digital loco and runs on every digital layout. Only if you want sound, etc you have to change the decoder. But also you may look for a new hobby loco for just a similar price, but already with a decoder with or without sound. All new locos have already now a mfx decoder inside. Since 2019 I only saw in the catalogues locos with a mfx decoder

Some you find here

https://www.maerklin.de/...tion/catalogs/new-items/

or there

http://streaming.maerkli...talog2019_online_DE_.pdf