Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline pclancy  
#1 Posted : 28 January 2020 13:26:30(UTC)
pclancy

United States   
Hi folks:

Ok, I have set up a simple oval using my white marklin transformer. It works great. All my 30 year old locos just purr.

Now I have found a second transformer in the attic--a blue 37547. Hmmm.

Can I run a more elaborate layout, with two locos running at the same time using two transformers? I am thinking about one oval with two turns outs to allow a separate block.

I assume I need to make the transformers power different parts of the more elaborate oval separately, so as to not have two transformers powering the same block of track.

Can one transformer power two locos at the same time? If they are both on the same block, will one necessarily catch up with the other?

I have absolutely now idea how one does this. I am lost as to what is needed in terms of parts.

I am using both C and M track.

Thanks very much,

Peter
Offline hxmiesa  
#2 Posted : 28 January 2020 14:10:07(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Originally Posted by: pclancy Go to Quoted Post

Ok, I have set up a simple oval using my white marklin transformer. It works great. All my 30 year old locos just purr.
Now I have found a second transformer in the attic--a blue 37547. Hmmm.
Can I run a more elaborate layout, with two locos running at the same time using two transformers? I am thinking about one oval with two turns outs to allow a separate block.

You can use it. As long as you dont use any modern lcoos with digital decoders in them.

Quote:
I assume I need to make the transformers power different parts of the more elaborate oval separately, so as to not have two transformers powering the same block of track.
Can one transformer power two locos at the same time? If they are both on the same block, will one necessarily catch up with the other?
I have absolutely now idea how one does this. I am lost as to what is needed in terms of parts.
I am using both C and M track.

Yes, you will have to connect the trafos to 2 DIFFERENT sections. With M-track you isolate the sections by inserting a piece of paper (or plastic) between the center-stud contact tongues. (Powered by the red wires)
The brown wires of the two trafos must be connected to each other (and to the tracks, as always)
Think of the brown as "chassis" o "zero" or "ground". -Which must be common for all parts.
The red wire from the trafos are the "live" or "phase" wire, which you must run to the specific sections you want to control.
(The yellow wire is also "live", but is always 16Vac. -For lights and electric accessories)

For isolating the center studs on C-tracks, you will need some red plastic-shoes that fit over the contacts, where you assemble the tracks.
That trafo is weak. Around 10VA if I remember correct. -So really only for one loco at a time. (Although you wont break anything if you happen to run 2 locos at some point)

If you can get hold of some older Märklin catalogues, you can see diagrams of how to do this, in the track-sections there...

Extra: When you want to use more than 1 trafo, you will need to make sure that they are in the same "phase". When you connect the 2 brown wires, NO SPARK must appear wbetween the 2 red wires.
If a spark appears (dont worry, it wont harm you, and you wont destroy anything) then the plug in the socket in the wall must be turned 180º. Only do this for ONE of the trafos.
Best tested with a bulp between the 2 brown wired before connecting them to the common ground. (If there is NO light in the bulp, the phase is correct.)
I am sorry if this last comment is not very clear. You can still play with your trains although you dont do this, it´s just not... right.
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline kgsjoqvist  
#3 Posted : 28 January 2020 22:00:30(UTC)
kgsjoqvist

Sweden   
Running two locos at the same time from one trafo is possible, but not practical. Depending on the loco they may or may not have the same speed. The direction of travel may also be different. If you turn the knob to change it, both locos Will change direction.

The traditional way to handle two locos from one trafo is to use signal. When one train is stoppet by a red signal, the other can be controlled individually.
K-G / H0 and Z model train user
Offline river6109  
#4 Posted : 05 February 2020 09:00:27(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Do not connect the 2 transformers from a different socket outlet.
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode