Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Harlov  
#1 Posted : 17 January 2020 20:11:13(UTC)
Harlov

Sweden   
Hello

I bought 6051 interface with cable and Märklins software 60512 on Ebay in the package 60512 was a HASP key and I wonder if it is a serial or parallel cable to use and in the installation manual it says that it is (printer port) then I read somewhere that it should be a serial port which is right, because I have a newer laptop so I have to buy a USB to serial / parallel? and 9 pin to 25 pin adapter.

Does anyone want to help me

/Harlov
Offline clapcott  
#2 Posted : 19 January 2020 00:53:03(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
The 6050 (6051) itself connects to a computer with a serial connection - typically 2400,8,N,2 as the port setup

You do not state, but I am guessing that you are expecting this to be used with a 6020 or 6021

(The 6023 has an integrated interface with an apparent functional super-set of commands but the controller hardware itself did not support the same scope of the 6021 - the baud rate could also be higher)

As to the software I believe the reference to the Hasp key and printer port related to the dongle you need to install/use the software.
This is an old fashioned means of hardware licensing, where by you could only use the software on a PC with the dongle physically installed.

i.e. I hope you got the dongle with your purchase or you have bought a lemon

As a personal comment I would not buy either today.
- There are far better alternatives for the software
- the interface itself is only of use with a 6021 and has limitation in today's world.

As I have both (from the early 1990's ) I can make use of them, but buying a new set (and spending time getting it working) is time that can be better spent elsewhere.
Peter
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by clapcott
Offline Harlov  
#3 Posted : 19 January 2020 12:19:45(UTC)
Harlov

Sweden   
Thanks for your reply
I've got it working with the software, yes I have the dongle
I have interface 6051 and central unit 6020 and Modellbahn software 60512 which I intend to use, there is surely better software than 60512, I do not have the money right now to spend on a whole new system so I intend to run with it the old stuff for so long.

But what software can be used for interface 6051 instead of 60512

Originally Posted by: clapcott Go to Quoted Post
The 6050 (6051) itself connects to a computer with a serial connection - typically 2400,8,N,2 as the port setup

You do not state, but I am guessing that you are expecting this to be used with a 6020 or 6021

(The 6023 has an integrated interface with an apparent functional super-set of commands but the controller hardware itself did not support the same scope of the 6021 - the baud rate could also be higher)

As to the software I believe the reference to the Hasp key and printer port related to the dongle you need to install/use the software.
This is an old fashioned means of hardware licensing, where by you could only use the software on a PC with the dongle physically installed.

i.e. I hope you got the dongle with your purchase or you have bought a lemon

As a personal comment I would not buy either today.
- There are far better alternatives for the software
- the interface itself is only of use with a 6021 and has limitation in today's world.

As I have both (from the early 1990's ) I can make use of them, but buying a new set (and spending time getting it working) is time that can be better spent elsewhere.

Offline kiwiAlan  
#4 Posted : 19 January 2020 15:00:34(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Harlov Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for your reply
I have interface 6051 and central unit 6020 and Modellbahn software 60512 which I intend to use, there is surely better software than 60512, I do not have the money right now to spend on a whole new system so I intend to run with it the old stuff for so long.

Get yourself a copy of the 0303 guide to marklin digital, There is a PDF copy somewhere on this forum. That has GWBasic examples of using the 6050/1. The book that came with the 6051 has the codes required for the different things it can do.

Offline PeFu  
#5 Posted : 19 January 2020 15:44:03(UTC)
PeFu

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: Harlov Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for your reply

Have in mind that the 6020 only supports the Old Motorola format, i.e. not the New Motorola format which is supported by the 6021 and later units. This implies that you will only be able to control function/off, not f1 through f4. Also, you will experience some struggle on direction control. Note that Mfx formats were introduced later, and are neither supported by the 6020 or 6021.

However, the 6020/6051 is an acceptable combo to start learning about software control, and the major software packages will support this:

Railroad & Co TrainController
WinDigipet
Rocrail

As you have budget constraints, maybe Rocrail - which is free of charge - is a good start?

Cool
Andreasburg-Mattiasberg Bahn is inspired by Swiss railways |Forum Thread |Track Plan |Youtube | C and K track | CS2 | TrainController Gold V10
Offline Harlov  
#6 Posted : 19 January 2020 19:03:00(UTC)
Harlov

Sweden   
Thanks for your help,

I'll read this in 0303