Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mike c  
#1 Posted : 10 January 2020 03:34:06(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Almost half a decade ago, B Models announced a new series of "Metal Edition" models of Sggmrs 90 container cars.
I was interested to see how they addressed the container fixation issue, but the models were AFAIK never released.
In December, I saw that a German dealer was listing one of these cars as available.
It was the 55.101 AAE/Crossrail car with MSC Containers.
I decided to order this single car, so that I can evaluate the design before pulling the trigger on the Samskip, Geest, Ge-Ex, Ewals and other cars that I was interested in.
The Containers come with sockets, similar to many other brands. The model was set up on delivery to carry these two refrigerated MSC 40ft containers.
The first thing I noticed when I removed the model from the packaging was that one of the brake wheels was loose.
Once I had it on the track, I placed the containers on the car and noticed that the fit is not optimal.
Based on what I had seen from the New Items Brochures, I had the belief that the mountings were adjustable, but there does not seem to be any longitudinal play. The containers seemed to barely sit in the fittings, leaving me worried about how they would fare in operation.
Over the next few days, I will have to experiment using containers from Herpa, ACME, Kombimodell and other manufacturers to see how well they fit.
I will also have to examine the accessories to see if the mountings can be altered in a manner which improves the operation.

For 40 foot containers, I have found the Rocky Rail Twin model to be the best. They seem more rugged than the Kombimodell T4s and the container is held in place by all 4 sockets. I still have to test the Piko T3000 with containers. I am pretty certain it requires containers with pins (like the ones used by Maerklin).
From a modelling point of view, Maerklin's solution with the pins on the containers is probably the best. Unfortunately, Maerklin has not yet made a wide enough selection of models, especially from an alpine (SBB/BLS/OBB) point of view. For modellers reproducing a train between the Atlantic and the Baltic, there is more variety.

I hope that I will find something about the B Models cars that will impress me and that I will be able to order the other cars.
It would be a shame if it ended up a shelf queen, like my Crossrail car from ACME.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline mmervine  
#2 Posted : 10 January 2020 14:56:09(UTC)
mmervine

United States   
Mike-thanks, looking forward to your complete review of this.
Märklin C-track, Marklin Digital & ECoS, multi-era French & Swiss
http://www.ete-ene.org/m...mervines-layout-gallery/
Offline mike c  
#3 Posted : 11 January 2020 18:56:09(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I still have not had all the time that I would like to experiment with this model. This weekend, I hope to get around to taking some photos of the model and the load.
I also hope to do some testing with other brand containers, including Roco, Fleischmann, ACME, Herpa, AWM and Kombimodell to name a few.

As the 55.101 car is registered to AAE as leased to Crossrail, it would be nice to be able to run this car with a Crossrail appropriate load. I have Crossrail containers from Roco, ACME and Fleischmann.

For comparative purposes, I hope to be able to take some photos of the B Models car alongside similar ones (90 ft) from ACME and Roco as well as alongside the Maerklin 80ft car.

I will also try to add some comparative photos of the B-Models containers alongside other brands for comparison on fixation design and fit.

Stay tuned.

Regards

Mike C