Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline PJMärklin  
#1 Posted : 02 January 2020 04:46:05(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Hello Märklineers, and Happy New year to you all.

I have my eye on a particular model loco (on Evil-Bay) of which prototype I admire but is not made by Märklin, nor have I previously been able to find it made by any other manufacturer except Gützold. I do not have any locos by Gützold; I am aware that they have been in financial difficulties, as have many modelleisenbahn manufacturers in the past, including Märklin.

Hitherto I seem to recall good comments in general re Gützold but recognise that they have been aimed primarily at the two-rail market. I really do like the loco but have had the odd "bad experience" in the past (in my keenness to find a particular loco, the prototype of which I like but is not modelled by Märklin) by straying to other brands said to accommodate "three-rail" - one notable exception being Piko whose "three-rail" versions I have found excellent in my limited purchases.

So I enquire if anyone has had experience with Gützold locos manufactured for three-rail, running on Märklin track ?

Thanks for reading my post - I will be grateful of any advice.

PJ
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline Alsterstreek  
#2 Posted : 02 January 2020 10:30:43(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Happy New Year!
Cool

Upon research on the German Stummi-Forum I can offer second hand information. Synopsis:

In general both the driving qualities and weight are lauded. Except for the class 19 “Sachsenstolz” for “three rail”, there are no (major) complaints. Further, it is mentioned that the pickup shoe of six-axle Models is not properly „centred” (which might explain why the locos derail on curved M track turnouts - see below?).The locos run well on C track, but M track turnouts may cause problems, especially curved ones. Of interest for you: One post states that they run well on K track, too. General consensus is that the locos master R1 curves (36 cm radius), but there a few dissenters, all limited to long steamers. A recurring issue is the short coupler connection to the first car of a consist which is potentially provoking “buffer conflicts”. The proposed solution is using slim coupler heads and/or Roco short couplers.

2008 thread:
https://www.stummiforum....php?t=27570&start=25

2011 thread:
https://stummiforum.de/viewtopic.php?t=55810

Good luck!
😊
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline PJMärklin  
#3 Posted : 02 January 2020 11:05:15(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Alsterstreek Go to Quoted Post
Happy New Year!
Cool

Upon research on the German Stummi-Forum I can offer second hand information. Synopsis:

In general both the driving qualities and weight are lauded. Except for the class 19 “Sachsenstolz” for “three rail”, there are no (major) complaints. Further, it is mentioned that the pickup shoe of six-axle Models is not properly „centred” (which might explain why the locos derail on curved M track turnouts - see below?).The locos run well on C track, but M track turnouts may cause problems, especially curved ones. Of interest for you: One post states that they run well on K track, too. General consensus is that the locos master R1 curves (36 cm radius), but there a few dissenters, all limited to long steamers. A recurring issue is the short coupler connection to the first car of a consist which is potentially provoking “buffer conflicts”. The proposed solution is using slim coupler heads and/or Roco short couplers.

2008 thread:
https://www.stummiforum....php?t=27570&start=25

2011 thread:
https://stummiforum.de/viewtopic.php?t=55810

Good luck!
😊

Hi Ak !BigGrin

Thank you for your kind enquiries.

I appreciate your information.ThumpUp

Regards,

PhilipSmile
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline 1borna  
#4 Posted : 02 January 2020 20:52:05(UTC)
1borna

Croatia   
UserPostedImage
I've had a Gutzold model made for Marklin for years
UserPostedImage
[img]I changed his decoder but I can say that the locomotive is heavy and capable of pulling and at the same time it is quiet and peaceful in operation[/img]
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImage
Gutzold has long been known as a quality company and newer models are well made!
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by 1borna