Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Prewar steve1966  
#1 Posted : 24 December 2019 21:35:16(UTC)
Prewar steve1966

United States   
Hello All and happy holidays,

Hoping someone can help to accurately identify and give me an idea of the value of this small collection I just acquired.

These pieces are O scale. One 4-6-2 loco (I think a Pacific type) with four large passenger cars and seven smaller freight cars. All cars have original boxes. There are also five boxes of 072 radius track with switches. Cars are all in excellent condition. Loco is missing one smoke pusher on the engineers side.

I generally collect Lionel prewar but purchased this along with various other manufacturers in a collection. The pieces are beautiful and well preserves save for some blemishes on two of the passenger cars roofs. The freight cars look new.

These were send to the gentleman I purchased them from in 1945. His uncle was in the ARMY corps of engineers and sent them to his nephew when he was 10. I have the original wood box they were shipped in.

Can anyone give me an idea of their value? Obviously pictures would help I know. I am brand new to the site and will try to figure out how to post after Christmas.

Any help would be appreciated.

Steve
Offline CCS800KrokHunter3  
#2 Posted : 24 December 2019 22:32:25(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
Hi Steve,

Yes without photos it is difficult to determine value. But sounds like you have an HR 66 12920 locomotive (or HR 70 12920). The cars are likely 1941, 1942, 1943, and 1944 baggage car. The set in total is surely worth a few thousand dollars with original boxes, etc if in good+ condition.

Here is a link to an ebay auction of what might be the model of your loco:

https://rover.ebay.com/r...c%3Ag%3A8q8AAOSwCXVd-1Fe

All the best,

Paul
Offline Prewar steve1966  
#3 Posted : 25 December 2019 01:26:53(UTC)
Prewar steve1966

United States   

Hi Paul,

Yes...that is the locomotive. Thank you for the link.

I searched eBay (US) but there were no listings, past or present, that I could find. I should have thought to check eBay (De).

I am pleasantly surprised at the value of these pieces. The passenger cars are beautiful as well. I'm not sure if they originally came with the locomotive or the freight cars as a set. Perhaps both?

I will continue to do more research and post photos after Christmas.

Many thanks!

Steve