Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Profpetrof  
#1 Posted : 27 November 2019 16:17:50(UTC)
Profpetrof

South Africa   
I have been toying with the idea of making an abstract model railway layout. One without any detailed buildings, roads, cars or people, and indicative scenery, with mountains done as contours.

Recently I acquired a Z gauge starter set, with electric turnouts, and added on the T1 and T2 expansion sets. I started with the basic layout, and modeled it in AutoCAD. From there I designed each of the layers to get the contours:

2ADB6799-A3E1-4088-897A-74640C7363BF.jpeg
5F787E3E-2BDB-4BEB-BA7E-E1BE966BBEE5.jpeg

I then sent the AutoCAD file for laser cutting out of 6mm MDF (Medium Density Fibre Board):

003.jpg

I then assembled the layers and glued them together:

F459713C-42A3-4A73-86B1-9926406BA156.jpeg

Tested the layout inside the coffee table:

006.jpg

Added the rails before starting the paint process:

007.jpg

Note that the mountains can be removed leaving all of the track flat and exposed. This will alleviate cleaning the tracks.

I am busy spraying the sea gray to match the apartment colour scheme, all of the mountains and ground level will be satin white, and the buildings black.

I would love to hear feedback from others on ideas or similar projects. I am also planning a very big HO version for future.
thanks 14 users liked this useful post by Profpetrof
Offline DaleSchultz  
#2 Posted : 27 November 2019 16:24:12(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
looks very nice! Nice concept!
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline husafreak  
#3 Posted : 28 November 2019 00:19:31(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
When I was younger and working as an Architect in NYC I started a side job as an Architectural model builder. I found I could command a great deal more money as a model builder than as a young Architect! In any case I specialized in "abstract" models. I didn't have the time or resources for highly detailed buildings and scenery and that wasn't really what my employers needed anyway. They need a tool to explain quickly and simply in 3D what was going on in large developments. Your layout reminds me a great deal of what I was doing at the time. Buildings were blocks, contour terrain, flat surfaces, monochromatic color choices for defining types of objects or terrain to aid in recognition. I even made trees out of wooden balls sold in craft stores by the bag and mounted on round tooth picks. The response was always very positive. So the thing is even though your layout bucks "traditional" approaches to model train layouts it can convey a great deal of information very easily. It's not something to search for hours looking at all the details but if done well a casual observer is definitely going to be charmed and excited!
You may want to play with color choices a bit, I like your colored rendering very much (it reminds me of a Greek Island scene) but satin white may not look right, just one of those things we'll have to see. A brighter white may be the way to go, or a sand color. And dark grey instead of black for those buildings. For sure filling and spraying the entire surface with primer grey is a good idea, sandable grey primer and a lot of elbow grease with fine sandpaper will get you a nice smooth surface that will look like plastic after painting. And I would use flat acrylic model hobby paints airbrushed on as they will get natural colors and that plastic look, and they don't reflect light, while accentuating shadows. Of course just an overspray of flat clear could do that too. But I always considered the use of flat modelers paints and perfect textures to be a secret to my success with these abstract models. Water excepted.
I really like your track layout, contours, and landscape choices. Very harmonious.
Well done!
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by husafreak
Offline Profpetrof  
#4 Posted : 28 November 2019 14:16:28(UTC)
Profpetrof

South Africa   
Thank you Husafreak,

Very good advice and comments. I have already run into problems with the Medium Density Fibre board, absorbing the paint on the sides. Everything I try simply disappears. I am going to try to seal it with a paint brush and wood sealer, and then spray over it.

The reason I went with white for the landscaping is so that it ties in with the coffee table. It will end up looking like an architectural model (such as you are very much familiar with).

I am also in the built environment, engineering side, and have taken inspiration from the architectural models...

Arch2O-Architectural-model.jpg

Thank you for your reply and advice, hope to send a finished photograph soon.

Kind Regards,
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Profpetrof
Offline kiwiAlan  
#5 Posted : 28 November 2019 17:18:01(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
I am intrigued with what you are doing, and will be interested in the end result.

The 2mm scale group at the club I attend have built a 1/10th scale model of a layout they have planned, and are now building, using this same method. It allows the concept of the contours and placements to be ascertained, and the view perspectives to be seen. It also allowed them to see how the layout comes together as modules. One of the group has access to a laser cutter that he used to cut out the shapes for the planning modules.

Offline Profpetrof  
#6 Posted : 02 December 2019 09:11:02(UTC)
Profpetrof

South Africa   
This weekend was spent sanding and spraying.

I could not believe how much spray paint is needed, especially to get a smooth sheen.

Herewith an updated photograph of the layout in its home location.

Once final layer of paint is on, I will glue everything together, and then wiring can start.

73F1C407-9891-45DA-85F4-547DDFE104F8.jpeg
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by Profpetrof
Offline Johnvr  
#7 Posted : 02 December 2019 11:03:06(UTC)
Johnvr

South Africa   
Hello Andries

Looks great !
I shall have to come and see it when it is finished !

RegardsBigGrin
John
Offline Profpetrof  
#8 Posted : 20 December 2019 11:35:19(UTC)
Profpetrof

South Africa   
Hi All,

spent this whole week finalizing the layout. Last layers of paint, and wiring.

Finally done...

008.jpg009.jpg015.jpg012.jpg013.jpg017.jpg016.jpg010.jpg011.jpg
thanks 11 users liked this useful post by Profpetrof
Offline Jimmy Thompson  
#9 Posted : 20 December 2019 12:32:55(UTC)
Jimmy Thompson

United States   
Love Great!

Jimmy
Jimmy T
Analogue; M-track; BR 111; KLVM; Primex; Sarrasani Zirkuswelt
There is a Prototype For Everything
Offline Johnvr  
#10 Posted : 20 December 2019 13:47:11(UTC)
Johnvr

South Africa   
Hi Andries

Looks very good.

I am wondering how you managed to wire up the track with trains going in opposite directions.
You have DC current, right, and you have some isolation points in the turnouts ?
How would you move a train from the inner track to the outer track ?

Regards
John
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Johnvr
Offline kiwiAlan  
#11 Posted : 21 December 2019 15:39:41(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
I'm intrigued with the labels on the 707xx boxes, most of use would just number them ...

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Bart  
#12 Posted : 22 December 2019 09:20:33(UTC)
Bart

Netherlands   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
I'm intrigued with the labels on the 707xx boxes, most of use would just number them ...

I like the abstract labels - absolutely in style with the landscape
*Bart
Offline Purellum  
#13 Posted : 22 December 2019 09:54:17(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

But can you figure out what they are for?

I think I have figured it out....... BigGrin

Per.

Cool

If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline Bart  
#14 Posted : 22 December 2019 22:38:37(UTC)
Bart

Netherlands   
Originally Posted by: Purellum Go to Quoted Post

I think I have figured it out....... BigGrin

The YYXY CCCC was easier to figure out than the XOOI for one who's used to digital BigGrin

*Bart
Offline Profpetrof  
#15 Posted : 23 December 2019 11:11:41(UTC)
Profpetrof

South Africa   
The labels were done to try and simplify the control of the turnouts.

Y : First Straight Turnout
Y : Second Straight Turnout
X : Cross Turnout
Y : Straight Turnout
C : All four Curved turnouts

Power Distribution:
X : Power to the Shunting Yard
Oi : Power to the inner loop
Oo : Power to the outer loop
I : Power to the siding.

The controls works very well, and have not had any problems with turnout failures.

John, as for the trains running in opposite directions, there is only one supply, and it just so happened that the one train is wired opposite to the other one. I like having them in opposite directions, it works well.

As for changing from inner to outer loop, this can only be achieved if the train on that loop goes into the respective siding. No other way of doing it, and the trains cannot swap loops without perfect timing of the switches.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Profpetrof