Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline gcanton  
#1 Posted : 26 November 2019 12:01:09(UTC)
gcanton

United Kingdom   
I have spotted this relatively new decoder and it does look very good value if it is easy to use compared with ESU for example which I find straight forward to programme and certainly being able to update sounds without opening the loco will be missed. But 50-60 Euros price difference buys some tolerance of that inconvenience. But I do not want to start a discussion of different decoders as that often gets a bit grumpy in a PC vs Mac way and is not my real question.

I have noticed that in the Marklin sound library, which is very large, the gauge is listed next to the sound project. In the decoder setup is a CV for motor type including Gauge 1. Is there a problem using the array of HO projects with a large scale decoder or is it better to start from scratch? I cannot easily find the memory size of the HO decoders to see if loading an HO project would give a problem with either trying to put too much data into the large scale decoder or the project limiting the amount of data before the 55029 was full if the HO decoder has a smaller memory.

I have played with one and the other problem I have found, due partly to the very limited instructions, is how to delete sounds from a project as when I overfilled a project I could delete the functions or sound slots but it did not seem to reduce the size of the project when I tried to resave it.

Some of this is because my German is very limited and putting technical information through a Google translation from a German forum often leaves me more confused than when I started.

Graham
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#2 Posted : 27 November 2019 02:11:49(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I had to replace the decoder in my 55224 Gauge 1 BR194 due to the original decoder in the loco shutting down after about 30 minutes running time due to suspected overheating issues. I have replaced it with a 55029 decoder and must say I'm quite pleased with it - I haven't had any recurrence of the original issue.

Marklin told me that they couldn't give me the sound file for the 55224 because I was making my own modification to the loco, despite the loco being sent back to them at great expense and them failing to fix the issue. Great service there Marklin, makes me feel really valued as a customer! The 55029 decoder was a straight swap out for the original.

At any rate, I used the MDT software to create a sound project based on the H0 one, and this has worked fine with no issues, and well below the memory limit with sounds and functions defined as per the original.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz