Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline johnpatrickwack  
#1 Posted : 21 November 2019 22:30:39(UTC)
johnpatrickwack

United States   
Hi all,

I have had a robust layout working well with my CS3 software version 1.4.1 but just started getting this message, The S88 device GFP3-1 did not return the contact data promptly. I'm including a photo.

IMG_20191121_155801.jpg

All my s88 feedback definitions are red and unusable. Locos still run, however, and turnouts/signals work.

My other devices include a Link88 module, 3 S88 modules, and a number of M83's and M84 controlling switches and signals.

I have two transformers, one for the M83/84s and one for the Link88 - I switch transformers but the message continued. I carefully checked that all cables connected to the Link88 are as they should be. I gradually started eliminating devices to the point that I had absolutely NOTHING plugged in to the CS3 except the power cord but I continue to get this message.

What did I do recently that may have caused this? Upgraded this morning to version 1.4.1 and plugged an MS2 into the CS3, but that was hours ago and everything worked just fine. This message seemed to start once I installed a new switch motor in a turnout, which involved me disconnecting some track pieces in order to pull the non-working motor out and install the new one. However, as I stated earlier, I have gradually disconnected items to try to determine the source of the problem, but I continue to get the message with nothing plugged it.

I don't know what to try next; I've thought about deleting the Link88 and seeing what happens, but I'm concerned I'll have to re-add a good number of contacts.

I guess I will try reverting back to the earlier version of the CS3 software and see what happens.

Any help greatly appreciated! Cheers, John
---
John P. Wack
Silver Spring, MD
Offline clapcott  
#2 Posted : 22 November 2019 00:50:09(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Please check the "length" that you have defined against the CS3s locally attached S88 port.

Length = number of S88s connected.

It is not unusual for the CS2 to forget its values if you have powered on a number of times with devices missing
(some might call this a feature)

Peter
Offline johnpatrickwack  
#3 Posted : 22 November 2019 01:54:53(UTC)
johnpatrickwack

United States   
Originally Posted by: clapcott Go to Quoted Post
Please check the "length" that you have defined against the CS3s locally attached S88 port.

Length = number of S88s connected.

It is not unusual for the CS2 to forget its values if you have powered on a number of times with devices missing
(some might call this a feature)

Excellent advice - you were spot on! Not only were the lengths set to 0, but all feedbacks list the GFP3-1 instead of the Link88-1, the bus is set to 0, and the module count is 32 on some of them, clearly wrong. I suppose this would all happen if the bus lengths were zeroed out. The feedback position in the S88 module stayed correct. Once I change them all back to what they should be, time for a fresh backup.

Do you know why this happens? I am somewhat surprised, but I admit I don't know that much of the ins and outs of this equipment.

Thank you again!! You vastly improved my mood!
---
John P. Wack
Silver Spring, MD