Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Profpetrof  
#1 Posted : 13 November 2019 13:19:55(UTC)
Profpetrof

South Africa   
As much as I love highly detailed scenery and beautiful mountainous regions, buildings, cars and people on model railway layouts, I often think it takes away from the heart of model railroading, which are the trains.

I have long since played around with the idea of doing a layout as abstract as possible, still being able to identify basic scenery, but with no grass, people, roads, or fine scenery. It was to be as course as possible, but still represent a model layout.

I have therefore collected a Marklin Z set, with two locomotives and the full SETT track layouts: E+S+T1+T2+T3, and an additional controller to switch track portions on and off.

5F787E3E-2BDB-4BEB-BA7E-E1BE966BBEE5.jpeg2ADB6799-A3E1-4088-897A-74640C7363BF.jpegC16ED082-168D-434E-BF7B-9FE7FA9B0944.jpeg

I started by modeling the tracks in AutoCAD, and getting the basic layout and sizing right. The idea is to have it underneath the glass of the coffee table, and leave the rest usable.

I will then laser cut plywood layers to build up the contours of the mountains and sea, and spray everything white, except the sea, which is blue. Buildings are black, and boats red and green. The idea is that it looks as minimalistic and abstract as possible. The mountain is also a single piece which can be lifted up, as can the buildings, which leaves the track flat and exposed, easy to clean. There is a two layer gap underneath the main track layer, which allows for all cabling to run through. The controllers are all on the bottom layer, which will feed directly underneath the track bed and mountain.

I would like to hear if anyone else has tried this before. I suspect cleaning will be much easier, and not having grass and dust generating scenery a breeze to clean.
thanks 11 users liked this useful post by Profpetrof
Offline Profpetrof  
#2 Posted : 18 November 2019 07:52:08(UTC)
Profpetrof

South Africa   
Good morning All,

I was pleasantly surprised at how cost effective 6mm Medium Density Fibre board LASER cutting was. The cutting was done within two days, and I spent yesterday with the assembly.

Here are a few photographs of the layout. Note the boats in the background. Next step will be to choose paint colors for the sea, and spraying the layout.

5CE92CDE-4208-441B-8C0D-FCFC8090CFDF.jpegF459713C-42A3-4A73-86B1-9926406BA156.jpeg
thanks 10 users liked this useful post by Profpetrof
Offline Purellum  
#3 Posted : 18 November 2019 10:51:57(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Very nice and very interesting.

Keep up the good work Cool

Per.

Cool
If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
Offline DaleSchultz  
#4 Posted : 18 November 2019 15:29:53(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
looking good - pragtig!
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline Dimi194  
#5 Posted : 18 November 2019 23:17:03(UTC)
Dimi194

Australia   
This is certainly an interesting idea-keen to see how it turns out!!
Author of the gritty sci-fi novel 'Stories of Earth: WWIII' (featuring an awesome train chase)
Avid YouTuber (XtremeTrainz and TrainzXtreme) and train person!