Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline baumholder  
#1 Posted : 17 October 2019 03:46:05(UTC)
baumholder

I just inherited 8 Märklin HO locomotives purchased starting in 1953. They have not been operated for over 15 years and I need the advice/guidance of this forum on how to get them in shape to operate. I've looked at many Youtube videos and don't think I want to tackle such detailed work. Hope, in time, to get them operable and pass on to children/grandchild.

Engines are an RM800 locomotove (0-6-0) about 1953; CM800 Tank engine (0-6-0) about 1955; 3016 Railbus; 3021 Diesel Hydraulic Loco from 1962-68; GN 800 Heavy Goods Loco (2-10-0) about 1956; 3032 Tank engine (0-8-0) date unknown; 3048 Express tender loco (4-6-2) about 1956; and 3149 Diesel Hydraulic Loco about 1953. Dates are best guesses/estimates from catalogs that came with the trains.

Some local train shops have said to just start operating them to see what happens, but I don't want to damage them. They have rarely been serviced/maintained professionally, if at all.

I'm located in south-central PA and am ready to get them to a shop that can work on them or to mail them. Respectfully request your recommendations and ideas on how to proceed. Thank you very much.
Offline cookee_nz  
#2 Posted : 17 October 2019 04:45:15(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
The advice to try them out is not bad to begin with.

Either the Loco will respond or it won't.

Let's assume they were all working when last used, some are almost certain to just run first time just fine. But they will soon need a drop of oil.

Others may suffer from dried up lubricant and be stuck firm. You can set those aside for now. The ones that are working will enable you to get a feel for how a loco should run.

Some are very easy to service. A single screw in the top of the body and the body lifts off. Easy. Start with those.

I'd suggest the 3016 Railbus, CM800 and 3021 (screw is underneath). All very easy to work on.

You'll need some oil. If you have a model shop nearby they will have it. If they don't have Marklin specifically, try for Labelle brand, or any other good quality synthetic (not organic) light machine oil.

Tiny drop on each end of the motor and a tiny drop in the gears/wheels.

But if you are still hesitant, see if you can find a local model railway club, they may be able to assist, or there may be a member here in your proximity able to advise further. Add your nearest town to narrow it down if you wish.

When asking around, ignore anyone who scoffs at Marklin. They have no imagination and were abused as children (by not being given Marklin when there was still time) !!

Move on and find someone with a brain.

Come back with your questions, we'll get you up and running in no time.

PS, welcome

Edited by user 17 October 2019 21:02:43(UTC)  | Reason: Edits. Corrected re 3021 screw lication

Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline blid  
#3 Posted : 17 October 2019 11:29:51(UTC)
blid

Sweden   
Modellbahn Ott in Boyertown seems to still exist and carry Marklin. Hope it's not too far from you.

PS I just run some Z-scale Marklin engines that have been in their boxes for at least 12 years. All but one was OK. Compared to Z-scale the old H0 are bullet proof. DS
OneGauge Marklin and MTH, ESU ECoS 2.1 on LGB tracks. MTH 3-rail 0-gauge, DCS on GarGraves tracks. Z: Rokuhan tracks, analog or DCC+TC Gold.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by blid
Offline TEEWolf  
#4 Posted : 17 October 2019 17:39:52(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: baumholder Go to Quoted Post
I just inherited 8 Märklin HO locomotives purchased starting in 1953. They have not been operated for over 15 years and I need the advice/guidance of this forum on how to get them in shape to operate. I've looked at many Youtube videos and don't think I want to tackle such detailed work. Hope, in time, to get them operable and pass on to children/grandchild.

Engines are an RM800 locomotove (0-6-0) about 1953; CM800 Tank engine (0-6-0) about 1955; 3016 Railbus; 3021 Diesel Hydraulic Loco from 1962-68; GN 800 Heavy Goods Loco (2-10-0) about 1956; 3032 Tank engine (0-8-0) date unknown; 3048 Express tender loco (4-6-2) about 1956; and 3149 Diesel Hydraulic Loco about 1953. Dates are best guesses/estimates from catalogs that came with the trains.

Some local train shops have said to just start operating them to see what happens, but I don't want to damage them. They have rarely been serviced/maintained professionally, if at all.

I'm located in south-central PA and am ready to get them to a shop that can work on them or to mail them. Respectfully request your recommendations and ideas on how to proceed. Thank you very much.

Perhaps this old Märklin brochures may help too.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline mike c  
#5 Posted : 17 October 2019 18:08:49(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I have no experience with service from Modellbahn Ott. I did buy some items from him two decades ago.

My suggestion would be to get in touch with Scott at Helmut's Hobbies in VA and see what he can propose. I know people who have had models serviced by him over the years and have been satisfied.
He probably has better access to parts than most.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline TEEWolf  
#6 Posted : 17 October 2019 18:26:04(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: baumholder Go to Quoted Post

Do you know this showroom in New Jersey?

https://www.marklin-user...Showroom-opening-in-New-
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline baumholder  
#7 Posted : 17 October 2019 22:21:21(UTC)
baumholder

Originally Posted by: blid Go to Quoted Post
Modellbahn Ott in Boyertown seems to still exist and carry Marklin. Hope it's not too far from you.

PS I just run some Z-scale Marklin engines that have been in their boxes for at least 12 years. All but one was OK. Compared to Z-scale the old H0 are bullet proof. DS

Thanks very much. I'll check with them to see if they work on Märklin stock. They are less than two hours away. Thanks for your help.