Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline morsing  
#1 Posted : 01 October 2019 09:44:28(UTC)
morsing

United Kingdom   
Hi,

For RocRail control, or any computerised control, should I define the entire layout in RocRail? And does that mean everything must have electric points?

Thanks
-----
Modelling west Denmark era IV - possibly with some out-of-place elements!
Marklin C-track + CS3+
12m2 layout to be controlled by RocRail
Offline Danlake  
#2 Posted : 01 October 2019 10:05:19(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Hi Morsing,

Generally I would recommend to include the whole layout in your track diagram for the computer software.

But if you have parts of layout you never want to control by the computer (e.g. a industrial siding) you could exclude it and just have the turnouts/points operated manually.

Best Regards,
Lasse

Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Danlake
Offline morsing  
#3 Posted : 01 October 2019 10:12:08(UTC)
morsing

United Kingdom   
Ok,

I have not working on computer control but I think some parts of the layout really wouldn't work as part of computer control, but with no experience I can't tell for sure.

I have good sidings that are only a single 24360 track for backing a freight car or two in to. Don't suspect that would even be possible to computer control in any usable way. Same with just the tracks in the freight grid. I suppose a fixed freight train could park there, then go round and back.

I just spent 250gbp on more points motors and to automate it all, I need to spend another 200gbp :-(

My layout plan is in the "My layout" section.
-----
Modelling west Denmark era IV - possibly with some out-of-place elements!
Marklin C-track + CS3+
12m2 layout to be controlled by RocRail
Offline Danlake  
#4 Posted : 01 October 2019 11:45:09(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Rocrail or any other software has the ability to control any parts of the layout and only your imagination sets the limits. Provided of course you have feedback detection and digitally controlled turnouts etc.

Maybe the question you are asking is; how large part of my layout shall be computer controlled? Which is really a personal question and depends on how you want to operate the layout.

The ideal setup would be to have feedback detection between all turnouts and on each siding and then do the track diagram.

But in your case, to save money as well, I would exclude some of the sidings but make sure all main lines has feedback detection as well as part of your freight ladder/yard. It could be quite fun operating the layout by having a couple of trains running automatically from lower to upper level and vice versus and in the mean time you can operate a train from a industry siding to another part of layout completely manually. The computer wouldn’t know about this train so it’s up to you to obey signals to make sure you don’t crash into the express priority trainsBigGrin

Best Regards
Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Danlake
Offline Minok  
#5 Posted : 01 October 2019 22:00:08(UTC)
Minok

United States   
With computer controlled parts the important thing is that the computer software is aware of any settings changes that would affect the flow or control of the locomotives that the computer is responsible for, so the computer needs to know what is on the tracks it is running computer controlled trains over, and the status of any switches/turnouts that the computer traffic runs through. Those should all be input into the computer, and their states (turnouts) only changed from the computer (as typically there is no feedback to tell the computer the state of a turnout necessarily, if you change it manually). But if there is a segment that goes off that the computer is never to route traffic down, then after the turnout that goes there, its all you.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok
Offline applor  
#6 Posted : 01 October 2019 23:26:06(UTC)
applor

Australia   
You don't have to define your entire layout in Rocrail, only where you want to have automation.

I found however that 16 port S88 modules are pretty cheap so would rather have all my sidings with detection so I know where everything is on the layout.

In the case of points, if they are trailing only (ie. single direction mainline) then you can show them in Rocrail but leave them without an address and exclude from route commands - you don't need to install point motors for them.
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by applor
Offline JohnjeanB  
#7 Posted : 02 October 2019 13:35:29(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Originally Posted by: morsing Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

For RocRail control, or any computerised control, should I define the entire layout in RocRail? And does that mean everything must have electric points?

Thanks

Hi
As a Rocrail user, I would strongly recommend you enter all of your layout in it.
You may represent only a part of your lay-out in one page
You may also select the hybrid functioning: part automatic and partly manual. Your may even include special commands to pass control to manual or to automatic as some points in the layout.
If you are using manual points it is OK with Rocrail but you need precautions before starting a schedule over these (sorry not too familiar here) See Rocrail manual switch operation https://wiki.rocrail.net/doku.php?id=switch-gen-en
My layout operation is a combination of the "fishbowl principle" and the scheduled operation.
Cheers

Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB