Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline applor  
#1 Posted : 23 September 2019 01:13:50(UTC)
applor

Australia   
Hello,

I have install an ESU Loksound 5 micro into my Marklin Glaskasten (26559) and I am having problems with the motor.

When I attempt to drive forward, it drives forward at the same speed regardless of the throttle position. It has only one speed forward and stop.
It does not drive at all in reverse.

I have tested the decoder with the ESU decoder tester 53900 and the motor works fine forward and reverse at different speeds.

I have also tested the Glaskasten motor with the decoder disconnected and by applying DC voltage directly to the motor terminals and also to the soldered pins on the Next18 connector (to rule out cable fault).
Again, it drives forward and reverse and at different speeds.

So both the decoder and motor test OK seperately, perhaps they are incompatible?
This does not make sense, given the original 26559 decoder is an ESU V3 lokpilot.
I do not think using a micro decoder is a problem since the motor current draw is below the limit and it is a small model and also because the motor does drive rather than no response.

I have also tried different motor settings with the lokprogrammer, tried using the auto motor calibration mode and lastly also removing the factory capacitor across the motor terminals.

There is still no difference in the driving.

I believe I have hit the wall with no further possible causes and I cannot even return the decoder since it tests OK with the decoder tester.

Any suggestions?
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
Offline Purellum  
#2 Posted : 23 September 2019 03:04:40(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Originally Posted by: applor Go to Quoted Post
Any suggestions?

I'm not familiar with the micro decoders at all; but my first thought is that you've swapped two wires.

Per.

Cool

If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
Offline applor  
#3 Posted : 23 September 2019 03:17:21(UTC)
applor

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Purellum Go to Quoted Post
Cool

Originally Posted by: applor Go to Quoted Post
Any suggestions?

I'm not familiar with the micro decoders at all; but my first thought is that you've swapped two wires.

Per.

Cool

Unfortunately not.
ESU wiring use orange/grey for the motor, Marklin use green/blue and they are correct (I have another LS 5 micro to compare and also the decoder functions along with front/rear lights)
Offline kiwiAlan  
#4 Posted : 23 September 2019 15:12:28(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
There has been some discussion on the Loksound yahoo Group email list about Loksound 5 decoders and coreless motors. It seems the inertia of the motor is too small for the automatic setting of the PID CV registers to work properly. So if you have attempted to do a motor tune you may need to go back and try some vales in these registers to see if you can recover the situation, or try setting it up as a coreless motor with default values that ESU give.

thanks 4 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline applor  
#5 Posted : 23 September 2019 23:04:29(UTC)
applor

Australia   
I replaced the motor wires and it is working properly now. Given I tested the motor using the existing wires, it means the problem must have been the solder connection on the decoder.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by applor