Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline cookee_nz  
#1 Posted : 16 September 2019 09:56:17(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Yesterday was a quiet day for me so I decided to take a stroll into the Stuttgart square. I had last been there in 2007 when I visited with my daughter.

I spotted a couple of stalls in the distance which I thought were good but when I got closer I realized it was a market, and it was enormous! Every corner I turned there was more, and more, and more.

It seemed every third stall had some Märklin, maybe some track, a Loco or two, some M-Metall here and there, and at least 5 stalls that sold only toys, with large amounts of Märklin.

The prices were not particularly low, but the range of items was quite wide, and ranging from boxed near-new to common play-worn items.

I will post some images later on but I was curious how often the marketday happens?

I could not imagine it being every Sunday, there were just so many traders and so many items that it would become tiresome setting it all up each week so I'm guessing it's maybe a monthly thing?

I'm assuming this is a common thing in many towns and I just wish I had known about it sooner, I would have been up there much earlier to beat the Sun, and the crowds with more time to spot something I could not live without.
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline cookee_nz  
#2 Posted : 16 September 2019 10:59:37(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Ok so I've now learned it's "Flohmarkt" (flea market), held twice a year, Spring and Autumn on second Sunday of May and second Sunday of September.

So if the same weekend coincides in two years it would be an excellent Sunday option for those who are 'trained-out', or their spouse, better half, significant other etc.

But with the range of items available, there could be a spending war on. LOL

Edited by user 16 September 2019 17:44:07(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#3 Posted : 18 September 2019 07:00:43(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Dang......

Mind you, I've had to buy another bag in addition to the extra one I bought with me, and both are already quite full...
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline IanC  
#4 Posted : 18 September 2019 19:04:06(UTC)
IanC

United Kingdom   
I went to the flohmarkt , sorry modelleisenbahn borse, the previous Saturday at SVG Horb, not far away from Stuttgart. I'm a regular every second September, the Saturday before the Marklin days. This year it was very disappointing and I only spent 15 Euros. Previous times had been much better. SVG Horb have a borse twice a year and the museum is well worth a visit in itself but what has happened to the second hand market in the last couple of years?
Offline xxup  
#5 Posted : 19 September 2019 01:48:49(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Dang......

Mind you, I've had to buy another bag in addition to the extra one I bought with me, and both are already quite full...

You might find it cheaper to post your purchases home.. There are plenty of post offices over there.. That's what we had to do when we were looking at the 3rd suitcase.. LOL
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by xxup