Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline David Dewar  
#1 Posted : 12 September 2019 21:29:47(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Mentioned I was buying a Piko 59715 and it is a nice model and runs well. When trying to adjust breaking delay and acceleration with my CS3 using the normal way nothing happens. Tried with my CS2 and the changes were made OK but were not held when going back to running the loco with the CS3. Has a look at CV values but were in German on the CSD3 and not sure anyway what I should do with them or which one.
CS3 has the boxes ticked for DCC and mfx. Had a look at the decoder which is different to any of my other locos.
Strange however that I can make the changes on the CS2 but not the CS3.
Any ideas appreciated.

(maybe I should stick to Marklin lol)
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline David Dewar  
#2 Posted : 13 September 2019 23:21:04(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
Mentioned I was buying a Piko 59715 and it is a nice model and runs well. When trying to adjust breaking delay and acceleration with my CS3 using the normal way nothing happens. Tried with my CS2 and the changes were made OK but were not held when going back to running the loco with the CS3. Has a look at CV values but were in German on the CSD3 and not sure anyway what I should do with them or which one.
CS3 has the boxes ticked for DCC and mfx. Had a look at the decoder which is different to any of my other locos.
Any ideas appreciated.

Anybody got any ideas Peter maybe.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline Goofy  
#3 Posted : 14 September 2019 10:29:47(UTC)
Goofy

Maybe the program in the CS3 are not fully completed by Märklin?
There are some problem by use DCC with the CS3.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline TEEWolf  
#4 Posted : 15 September 2019 01:58:43(UTC)
TEEWolf

Any ideas appreciated.

Hello David,

yesterday (14.09.19) I was at the IMA in Goeppingen. I brought in my new Insider V 320 which was absolutely dead after I tried to update its decoder. In the new (not yet finished but already partially opened) Maerklineum was a new desk from Maerklin Service at the front entrance. Very nice and helpful people. With one guy I was talking about my programming efforts using my CS 3+.

He told me with a CS 3 you must use a separate programming track at the programming jack. This is also applicable for all decoders including mfx and mfx+ decoders. With a CS 2 a programming cold have been done by the regular jack as well.

ciao

Wolfgang
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline Goofy  
#5 Posted : 15 September 2019 07:10:10(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post

He told me with a CS 3 you must use a separate programming track at the programming jack. This is also applicable for all decoders including mfx and mfx+ decoders. With a CS 2 a programming cold have been done by the regular jack as well.

Wolfgang

It is such hidden information that causes us to have problems with CS3 by Märklin.
I thought data information between the loco and the CS3 via the head track is sufficient to change or program the decoder mfx and mfx+.
H0
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline Purellum  
#6 Posted : 15 September 2019 09:53:15(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
It is such hidden information that causes us to have problems with CS3 by Märklin.

It's not "hidden information", it's clearly stated on page 3 in the manual Cool

Per.

Cool

If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline David Dewar  
#7 Posted : 15 September 2019 10:57:14(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Any ideas appreciated.

Hello David,

yesterday (14.09.19) I was at the IMA in Goeppingen. I brought in my new Insider V 320 which was absolutely dead after I tried to update its decoder. In the new (not yet finished but already partially opened) Maerklineum was a new desk from Maerklin Service at the front entrance. Very nice and helpful people. With one guy I was talking about my programming efforts using my CS 3+.

ciao

Wolfgang

Thanks for that. All my locos appear to be able to programme on the main but will give the Piko a chance on the programme track and let you know the result. As I said when using my CS2 it will programme on the main but when going back to the CS3 loses any changes made on the CS2.

The Piko is a nice loco but not quite up to Marklin standards but is of course a lot less expensive.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline Purellum  
#8 Posted : 15 September 2019 11:25:20(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

UserPostedImage

Per.

Cool

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
Offline Goofy  
#9 Posted : 15 September 2019 11:40:22(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: Purellum Go to Quoted Post

It's not "hidden information", it's clearly stated on page 3 in the manual

Per.

Where about to upgrade mfx/mfx+ decoder?

H0
Offline Purellum  
#10 Posted : 15 September 2019 12:04:49(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Where about to upgrade mfx/mfx decoder?

I think this topic is about a Piko locomotive, not having a MFX/MFX+ decoder........... BigGrin

But you are allowed to think.

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage
Offline David Dewar  
#11 Posted : 15 September 2019 14:46:37(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Cool

Where about to upgrade mfx/mfx decoder?

I think this topic is about a Piko locomotive, not having a MFX/MFX+ decoder........... BigGrin

But you are allowed to think.

Per.

Cool

Hi Per. Yep getting back to my Piko problem. Now sorted (probably should have done this without having to ask here)

The loco responds to alterations to breaking delay etc and can be set up using the CS3 Plus programming track. However when running on another section of the layout I can programme on the main with my CS2.

I presumed that the two controllers would be similar for programming but they appear to be different in my case.

Thanks for those who responded with relevant information.

I bought the loco for less than 100 euros and has proved good value.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline TEEWolf  
#12 Posted : 16 September 2019 01:45:44(UTC)
TEEWolf

Cool

It's not "hidden information", it's clearly stated on page 3 in the manual Cool

Per.

Cool

Thanks for the hint. Indeed at this place of the manual you can distill this information. But also it could have been written in much clearer words.

However, I also did not realize it. For programming my V 320, I cleared everything from the main layout, but I kept the main connection jack for usage instead using the green connection jack for a programming track. In my opinion, it could be the result for the damage of the V320 decoder, although the V320 has a mfx+ decoder inside. But the programming track device brings 1,5 A to the tracks. The regular, the main device brings 3 A or even 5 A to the tracks. As it is with a CS 2, I do not know.

Even this is not explained in the normal manual. It is written in the technical manual for a CS 3

https://static.maerklin....3c218aff091494261442.pdf

under the point "Connections".
Offline TEEWolf  
#13 Posted : 16 September 2019 02:03:38(UTC)
TEEWolf

I thought data information between the loco and the CS3 via the head track is sufficient to change or program the decoder mfx and mfx+.

Well, this is not user friendly in the manual, writing just about registering for a mfx and mfx+ decoder, not about programming of these decoders. But this makes the big difference at the CS 3. Registering on the main tracks possible for mfx and mfx+. But programming only on the programming tracks.
Offline TEEWolf  
#14 Posted : 16 September 2019 02:26:51(UTC)
TEEWolf

I presumed that the two controllers would be similar for programming but they appear to be different in my case.

Not only in your case. It is the general case.

Thanks for those who responded with relevant information.

I bought the loco for less than 100 euros and has proved good value.

You are welcome and absolutely right David. I did the same with a PIKO loco. I bought a 151 (Piko article #51647) for a very low price (I guess it was about 130 €). Unfortunately it is not for all locos valid. I was looking for the blue E 18 as well, but with a sound decoder inside, it was even more expensive as a Maerklin one.
Offline Purellum  
#15 Posted : 16 September 2019 08:37:34(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Thanks for the hint. Indeed at this place of the manual you can distill this information. But also it could have been written in much clearer words.

"Programming track" BigGrin

Please suggest "clearer words" to describe the use of this connection Laugh

But the programming track device brings 1,5 A to the tracks. The regular, the main device brings 3 A or even 5 A to the tracks. As it is with a CS 2, I do not know.

Even this is not explained in the normal manual. It is written in the technical manual for a CS 3

https://static.maerklin....3c218aff091494261442.pdf

under the point "Connections".

IMHO these technical specifications isn't relevant for programming, and having technical specifications
in the technical manual is what I consider quite normal BigGrin

Well, this is not user friendly in the manual, writing just about registering for a mfx and mfx decoder, not about programming of these decoders.

The actual programming is AFAIK done in either DCC or MM, and that's exactly what Märklin writes about in the manual:

Originally Posted by: Märklin Go to Quoted Post
It is required to read, program,
and edit locomotives / powered units in the formats DCC or Motorola (MM2).

They do NOT write about decoder types; but about programming "in the formats DCC or Motorola (MM2)" Cool

There are so much information they COULD write in the manuals; but then the manuals would be
big as Bibles, and nobody would probably read them anyway........... LOL

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage
Offline Goofy  
#16 Posted : 18 September 2019 06:17:37(UTC)
Goofy

As i did make clear there is hidden information from Märklin about CS3. I am not suprise when i have some problems with the CS3.
H0
Offline Purellum  
#17 Posted : 18 September 2019 08:53:29(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

As i did make clear there is hidden information from Märklin about CS3. I am not suprise when i have some problems with the CS3.

No comments needed.

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage
Offline Goofy  
#18 Posted : 18 September 2019 09:32:29(UTC)
Goofy

No comments needed.

Per.

Finally Per!
At last you understand that Märklins digital system is not always perfect.
Märklin World are not perfect.

ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp

H0
Offline Purellum  
#19 Posted : 18 September 2019 09:49:50(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Finally Per!
At last you understand...................................

When will you? LOL Flapper LOL

Per.

Cool

UserPostedImage
Offline kiwiAlan  
#20 Posted : 18 September 2019 10:35:01(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

And just what is this hidden information? You evidently know it so tell the rest of us what it is !!!

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline David Dewar  
#21 Posted : 18 September 2019 12:03:05(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
No need for comments about the CS3. This thread was about my PIko loco and the difference that I found between the CS2 and CS3. Both controllers are fine and if I don’t understand something then our site has members who are helpful and give the information needed.
Goofy can I ask if you have CS3 problems to start another thread. Thank you.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by David Dewar