Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Rohit279  
#1 Posted : 09 September 2019 18:11:51(UTC)
Rohit279

Bahrain   
Hello Friends,

How do I determine the ideal slope ( gradient ) for my layout ( C tracks ) ? Does it depends on the loko Confused or the number of traction wheels ? I read somewhere that 2 % gradient is considered acceptable. How can I be sure ?Confused

Would appreciate some guidance on this subject.

Thanks,

Rohit

Offline Jabez  
#2 Posted : 09 September 2019 20:31:43(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
As far as I can gather, Maerklin in its literature suggests 5% but more conservative users usually suggest 3%. I interpret this as meaning that almost any reasonable loco/load combination will climb a 3% slope, but a perfectly laid and progressive slope of 5% average is possible. There are many members here who will undoubtedly give you their experience.
Jabez
I heard that lonesome whistle blow. Hank Williams
Offline DaleSchultz  
#3 Posted : 09 September 2019 20:34:40(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
there are two aspects to that question...

if you are only concerned about the train getting up the slope... then you can do some tests, and probably keep under 5%

if you are concerned about how the track and trains look when they run up and down the slope then in my book, 2% is the maximum.

Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by DaleSchultz
Offline morsing  
#4 Posted : 09 September 2019 21:27:54(UTC)
morsing

United Kingdom   

And as always, my problem with slopes was going down, not up. When I had a 4% slope exiting a curve, because the weight of the cars pushed the couplers to one side, the buffers would catch and derails the rail. Every time!

I am setting up a layout with only 2% slopes and minimum R3, hopefully I won't have this problem anymore.

I never had a problem going up a 4% slope.

Thanks
-----
Modelling west Denmark era IV - possibly with some out-of-place elements!
Marklin C-track + CS3+
12m2 layout to be controlled by RocRail
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by morsing
Offline Rohit279  
#5 Posted : 13 September 2019 15:32:42(UTC)
Rohit279

Bahrain   
Thanks guys for all the responses and advise... The way I understand, 2 % should be a safe bet.
Offline Minok  
#6 Posted : 13 September 2019 21:27:32(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Its a complex question that depends upon a variety of factors only you know:
1) Length of the train - that is how much (and long) weight will the locomotive need to pull? If you run short (3 car) trains, vs prototypical (7-11) car trains it affects the maximum grade your loco can pull. If its a freight train with 20+ coal cars.. its different again.
2) The loco - the traction tires and the weight of the loco matter. Traction tires help, more driven axles help, heavier locomotive helps.
3) As mentioned - its not just the up but the down affect and how the couplers work that comes into play -so how are all the cars coupled together (types of couplers and their interactions)
4) Curves and super-elevation - how does the grade interact with any curves and/or super elevation on the track. A 5% straight only incline is better than a 5% in an R1.

In the end, its best to experiment, especially if you are thinking about giving up on a design feature or layout aspect that you think will only be realizable with a specific grade to enable its existence in the limited space. Test it out, don't just discard or assume based on pure numbers and common wisdom.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok