Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline I_love_Marklin_37538  
#1 Posted : 06 September 2019 06:20:12(UTC)
I_love_Marklin_37538

Last year I placed 2 Br 01’s on order via ModellbahnLippe. They are 40903 and 40919, in the product description in Modellbahnlippe and Brawa’s official website, it mentions the boiler, driver’s cab and tender are made from high-quality impact resistant plastic, I would like to ask is there such a thing called high-quality impact resistant plastic and what is the difference between Marklin’s Br 01’s because they are generally made from metal?
Offline Jabez  
#2 Posted : 07 September 2019 19:02:00(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: I_love_Marklin_37538 Go to Quoted Post
I would like to ask is there such a thing called high-quality impact resistant plastic

High-quality and impact-resistant have a precise meaning which is the same as that of the length of a piece of string.
We can still read of the brittle failures of early C track material, but I doubt if Maerklin at the time would have ever described the plastic from which it was made as other than high-quality.
The zinc pest which has affected some zinc die-castings struck at some zinc alloy which was undoubtedly described in its day as high-quality.
Jabez
I heard that lonesome whistle blow. Hank Williams
Offline kiwiAlan  
#3 Posted : 07 September 2019 19:37:50(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
For impact resistant plastic I would suggest they are using polycarbonate, such as "unbreakable" beer jugs and glasses are made from. This is extremely tough and very hard to break, unlike plastics such as perspex which is quite brittle.

I assume that polycarbonate can be moulded to as fine a detail as any other plastic, as the beer jugs and glasses seem to indistinguishable from glass apart from the difference in weight.