Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline rhfil  
#1 Posted : 30 August 2019 15:00:39(UTC)
rhfil

United States   
What is the safest way to add a new Mfx locomotive with a CS3+? The reason I ask is I tried placing the locomotive on the layout and then turned on the CS3 but ended up with a real mess. The picture of the new locomotive showed up but a similar one replaced one of the locomotives I already had and trying to run the new locomotive resulted in running the other locomotive. I had to delete both locomotives and add everything manually including the address. I should probably have just turned off the CS3+ without saving it in hopes the old data was still on the memory stick but thought of that too late.
So should I have turned on the CS3+ first and then placed the new locomotive on the layout or should I go through the trouble of setting up a programming track?
Offline TEEWolf  
#2 Posted : 30 August 2019 17:50:56(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: rhfil Go to Quoted Post
What is the safest way to add a new Mfx locomotive with a CS3+? The reason I ask is I tried placing the locomotive on the layout and then turned on the CS3 but ended up with a real mess. The picture of the new locomotive showed up but a similar one replaced one of the locomotives I already had and trying to run the new locomotive resulted in running the other locomotive. I had to delete both locomotives and add everything manually including the address. I should probably have just turned off the CS3+ without saving it in hopes the old data was still on the memory stick but thought of that too late.
So should I have turned on the CS3+ first and then placed the new locomotive on the layout or should I go through the trouble of setting up a programming track?

Because I do not have only mfx locos, I have setted up a programming track anyway. I use this for mfx registering too, although Maerklin says it is not necessary for mfx locos to register them an a track without any other items on this peculiar track. Also at my layout the programming track is the most convenient section for rerailing locos, coaches, etc. Why make live not comfortable?

What happened to you is indeed very seldom. But it is a software related product and I can imagine it will happen. So is software and software has sometimes bugs inside. At my CS 3+ I realize sometimes the loco picture disappears also after first time registering it was there before. After a new picture upload it is all right.

In your case did you check the digital addresses at your CS 3? Obviously the CS 3 is not able to separate between the digital addresses of your locos. Deleting and reregistering the locos I would have done too. Especially for mfx locos a good idea.

What to do else? I would use a specific programming track. If still it can not separate the digital addresses (please look them up first in your CS 3, if it really is the the same address) I recommend to do a direct digital address registering. What to do, you will find in the downloaded CS 3 manual at page 14 “Running a Locomotive with Address Control”.