Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Bahner  
#1 Posted : 27 August 2019 12:14:55(UTC)
Bahner

United States   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Email - brenda at marklin dot com

Substitute at and dot for the proper symbols.

Keep in mind that Brenda is at Marklin USA and your loco will be at the Marklin service centre in Germany. Might be better to email them directly - service at marklin dot de

Thanks for the info. I'm having an issue that the repair center in Germany wants me to pay shipping charges for them to send me a replacement for an unfixable loco under warranty. I need to know if this is standard company practice.

Ralph.
Offline TEEWolf  
#2 Posted : 27 August 2019 13:11:27(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: Bahner Go to Quoted Post

Thanks for the info. I'm having an issue that the repair center in Germany wants me to pay shipping charges for them to send me a replacement for an unfixable loco under warranty. I need to know if this is standard company practice.

Ralph.

Do I understand this correctly: you sent a faulty loco within the 2 year (or 5 year? - there is an important difference) waranty period to the Maerklin service center? They do not want and/or can repair it. Respectivly give you not a refund for this loco. But even want you to pay for a shipment back?

If it is so, this would be against the law, so it never can be any standard for any company practice.

Or is it an ESU loco? (it's a jokeSmile)
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 27 August 2019 14:49:54(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post
If it is so, this would be against the law, so it never can be any standard for any company practice.
Against which law? Märklin warranty is voluntarily and they make the conditions. There is no law that requires the manufacturer to offer any warranty to indirect customers.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline TEEWolf  
#4 Posted : 27 August 2019 16:07:52(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Against which law? Märklin warranty is voluntarily and they make the conditions. There is no law that requires the manufacturer to offer any warranty to indirect customers.

The first 2 years is nothing with a voluntarily warranty. This is only after the 2 years, as I mentioned in my post. And I wrote "If it is so ...". Do you know which old loco was sent to which service?
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 27 August 2019 16:20:06(UTC)
H0

The first 2 years is nothing with a voluntarily warranty.
There is a legally binding warranty between customer and dealer, but there is no legally binding warranty between customer and manufacturer.
So if you do not buy from Märklin then you do not have any warranty claims against Märklin except the warranty they offer voluntarily under their own conditions.
Feel free to provide a link to a PDF that contradicts me.

It's good that Märklin offer a 2-year or even 5-year warranty in case the dealer goes out of business. But they could reduce the warranty to 90 days or scrape it completely.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Purellum  
#6 Posted : 27 August 2019 16:21:52(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

The first 2 years is nothing with a voluntarily warranty. This is only after the 2 years, as I mentioned in my post. And I wrote "If it is so ...". Do you know which old loco was sent to which service?

You don't get it. Crying

Märklin is only legally responsible for warranty, if the loco was bought directly from Märklin.

Since Märklin doesn't sell directly to any private persons, the loco must have been bought from a dealer -
who is required by law to offer a warranty repair or replacement.

Per.

Cool

If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
Offline TEEWolf  
#7 Posted : 27 August 2019 16:33:48(UTC)
TEEWolf

The first 2 years is nothing with a voluntarily warranty.
There is a legally binding warranty between customer and dealer, but there is no legally binding warranty between customer and manufacturer.
So if you do not buy from Märklin then you do not have any warranty claims against Märklin except the warranty they offer voluntarily under their own conditions.
Feel free to provide a link to a PDF that contradicts me.

It's good that Märklin offer a 2-year or even 5-year warranty in case the dealer goes out of business. But they could reduce the warranty to 90 days or scrape it completely.

Hello RollEyes we do not know the real situation. So I wrote in the conjunctive mood and were asking as the real situation will be.
Offline Bahner  
#8 Posted : 27 August 2019 16:39:21(UTC)
Bahner

United States   
Yes, I sent the loco back to Marklin within their stated 2-year warranty period (was bought from a dealer that I have dealt with only once). Unfortunately, they are not able to repair it ('Made in China' unit, motor failure and either they can't, or just won't, replace it). No monetary refund, but they offered to send me a loco of similar value (or one of higher value as long as I paid the difference). No problem with this...

I just have an issue with paying for shipping (I paid the shipping to get it to Germany). I feel a good company that stands behind their products would not ask this of their customers, so I'd like to have confirmation that this is their standard company policy.

Ralph.
Offline TEEWolf  
#9 Posted : 27 August 2019 19:44:03(UTC)
TEEWolf

Yes, I sent the loco back to Marklin within their stated 2-year warranty period (was bought from a dealer that I have dealt with only once). Unfortunately, they are not able to repair it ('Made in China' unit, motor failure and either they can't, or just won't, replace it). No monetary refund, but they offered to send me a loco of similar value (or one of higher value as long as I paid the difference). No problem with this...

I just have an issue with paying for shipping (I paid the shipping to get it to Germany). I feel a good company that stands behind their products would not ask this of their customers, so I'd like to have confirmation that this is their standard company policy.

Ralph.

Thanks. This sounds more detailed. Indeed you should have sent your loco to the dealer first. Then your dealer had to pay the shipping costs. Well, in your case make a deal. Say you want another new loco as Märklin offers. You pay the price difference, but Märklin, unable to repair the old loco, has to give its contribution too. This shall be the shipping costs for the new loco.

BTW, Märklin offers its German Insider members free shipping of all articles bought at Maerklin in the online-shop. Why not you too in this particular case?

If they had accepted your deal and you got the invoice for your loco, just deduct the German sales tax from the additional amount you have to pay.

By their terms of shipping costs, you have to pay to the USA 30 € plus custom. They do not say how much custom might be. But in any case they have to deduct the German VAT from the German sales price. Look up their gross price in the online-shop first.

Maerklin is in his online-shop not honest. They show for USA and Germany the same price in € for the same article in their online-shop. But in the German version they write "inkl. MwSt" (which is the colloquial term for the German sales tax [VAT] of 19%) and the US-price says nothing. So all the US-prices are 19% higher than in Germany? Strange, actually the prices for the USA had to be always about 16% lower. This is the case without the German sales tax of 19%. Maerklin always gets a refund for the VAT from the German Revenue Service when they approve an export outside of Germany. Perhaps its different to your USA-Maerklin website. Please check it.

Or write to Brenda and ask her for help and support. So we are back at the topic.BigGrin

Offline H0  
#10 Posted : 28 August 2019 08:20:33(UTC)
H0

[...] so I'd like to have confirmation that this is their standard company policy.
This question is off topic in this thread, but I cannot move it to a separate thread.

My experience: I once sent an MS1 to Märklin for a warranty repair.
Their first e-mail indicates a price tag around €70.
I wrote back that I expected a warranty repair.
In return they offered to repair it for around €35. They wrote there was a problem with the invoice I had included.
I wrote that the hand-written invoice was all I had gotten from the registered Märklin dealer and asked them how the invoice should look like so I could ask the dealer for a different invoice. They wrote back they hadn't seen the hand-written invoice and that they would fix it under warranty. And they did.

IMHO there is no clear policy and it can help to ask questions, ask for reasons, and let them know what you expect.

The Märklin warranty is not legally required (IANAL but Wolf is neither) and they only have to do what they advertise. IIRC their warranty conditions do not mention postage and package. Maybe let them know that you expect a warranty to cover postage and package.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#11 Posted : 28 August 2019 10:41:57(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
New topic created and posts moved.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline Bahner  
#12 Posted : 29 August 2019 13:37:57(UTC)
Bahner

United States   
For anyone interested in an update, I had sent an inquiry to Marklin via their online website last week. I recently received a response that "No, I would not need to pay shipping for the warranty replacement item" (as the Repair Service department had initially asked me to).

Hopefully, Marklin will standardize their departmental responses so that other customers won't run into conflicting processes and procedures.

Ralph.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Bahner