Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline eddieprice  
#1 Posted : 10 August 2019 13:17:28(UTC)
eddieprice

United Kingdom   
BR89 2002.jpg

I purchased an 0-6-0 loco some time ago from ebay. It runs, sort of, but not without a push to get it started. Slow running is non existant. I suspect it needs a thorough clean. I have removed the lower chassis plate, wheels and connecting gears, but am not sure how to separate the chassis and body. I know that there is a spring loaded plunger at the rear, and I think a flange at the front. I can release the spring plunger and it starts to separate, but am not sure how much force to apply for complete separation.

Assuming I can separate the two, what should I be looking for. There are spring strips that make contact with the rear of the wheels - the gears will need cleaning. What do you use as a cleaning fluid? I don't have ultrasonic bath.

Thanks for any advise and suggestions.

Offline MalinAC  
#2 Posted : 10 August 2019 17:01:49(UTC)
MalinAC

Ireland   
check to see if there is a screw inside the chimney, or under one of the domes. best of luck eddie
Offline eddieprice  
#3 Posted : 10 August 2019 18:55:08(UTC)
eddieprice

United Kingdom   
Thanks Malin, but no, unfortunately there is no screw. One of my other locomotives does have a screw through the steam dome, which makes it very easy to separate the body and the chassis.
Offline eddieprice  
#4 Posted : 10 August 2019 19:40:41(UTC)
eddieprice

United Kingdom   
BR89 2002-2.jpg

Right, I have managed to ease out the motor, but now I am stuck with the front endAngry. The Marklin engineers certainly make things difficult. I can wiggle the body around, but it will not separate. Do the cylinders come off?
Offline ktsolias  
#5 Posted : 10 August 2019 20:59:28(UTC)
ktsolias

Greece   
Offline husafreak  
#6 Posted : 11 August 2019 00:16:14(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
I have similar locos and you are supposed to push the "flange" at the front in with a small screwdriver or equivalent to release and raise the front of the body from the chassis. The plunger at the rear will not be a factor. On reassembly you start with the front flange in place, then you will need to depress the plunger at the rear to allow the body to come down over it. Then it pops into place to retain the body.
Offline Carim  
#7 Posted : 11 August 2019 09:53:19(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: eddieprice Go to Quoted Post
What do you use as a cleaning fluid? I don't have ultrasonic bath.

Thanks for any advise and suggestions.

I use isoprophyl alcohol, applied with cotton buds. You can also use tooth picks to remove any obvious debris.
Offline eddieprice  
#8 Posted : 11 August 2019 10:48:20(UTC)
eddieprice

United Kingdom   
BR89 2002-3.jpg

Finally managed to get it apart. Failed to separate the metal collector contacts from the clear plastic support, but it should be possible to clean them.

Thanks for your help.

Eddie Price
Offline Zme  
#9 Posted : 11 August 2019 16:23:15(UTC)
Zme

United States   
Hello

Great little engine!

Keep an eye on those coupler springs. They are almost impossible to find if one is dropped. Some put a spot of super glue on the tip to affix it to the coupler. Should you decide, just don't overdue it. A small spot will hold it on, and help keep you from losing them.

Best wishes

Offline husafreak  
#10 Posted : 11 August 2019 17:58:58(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
The brushes look great but the other contacts look very dark, maybe some corrosion there, maybe the problem. I use isopropyl alcohol too, and maybe an eraser (or a small part of one) to polish the contact points and wheel surfaces. I use a pipe cleaner to clean the commutator.
Offline Zme  
#11 Posted : 12 August 2019 15:54:41(UTC)
Zme

United States   
It is possible, the contacts are darkened so as not to stand out against the dark wheels etc.

Remember, clean, don't polish the parts, maintain appearances whenever possible.
Offline eddieprice  
#12 Posted : 12 August 2019 16:50:54(UTC)
eddieprice

United Kingdom   
rail 1.mp4 (4,319kb) downloaded 32 time(s).

Yes I nearly lost one of the springs - a dab of glue is a great help. The contacts were very corroded and I used a very fine carbide paper to clean them - also the connection between the contact strips and the brushes. The train now seems to run, starting without a push. I now need to work on the track, particularly the joints between sections of track. Then I can start on the scenary.