Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mvd71  
#51 Posted : 04 August 2019 22:09:29(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
David,

You may be on to something there. Perhaps a UK based Marklin collective could start a small online shop, and register as a Marklin dealer? The online shop could run a small profit to benefit the hobby of the collective?.
Offline David Dewar  
#52 Posted : 04 August 2019 23:39:55(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Originally Posted by: mvd71 Go to Quoted Post
David,

You may be on to something there. Perhaps a UK based Marklin collective could start a small online shop, and register as a Marklin dealer? The online shop could run a small profit to benefit the hobby of the collective?.

Problem we have is Gaugemaster are the distributors for Marklin in the UK but even they hold little in stock as a distributor and I doubt they would supply an online shop. If there were more of us Marklin folk in the UK then I am sure we could get a decent dealer but the demand is small with Hornby being the main model rail business .
We can only hope for a good outcome regarding the common and single market but that would really mean revoking Brexit which wont happen.
Anyway this is not a political thread but just trying to find a way that might keep UK buyers buying Marklin at the same amount as we do now.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline mvd71  
#53 Posted : 05 August 2019 00:38:54(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
So if gaugemaster are the distributor for the UK, do all other shops have to buy from them? It was that way in NZ years ago, but marklin moved away from that here because it is just an added layer of business expense that is no longer relevant or needed.

Anyway, hopefully any new tariffs etc wont be too steep and marklin will remain affordable for you all.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#54 Posted : 05 August 2019 04:26:49(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I remember that when the UK went into the Common Market (as it was called then) in 1973, it took NZ 20 years to recover from the economic impact of losing access to the UK market for farm products.

It may well be the same for the UK in leaving the EU. That may or may not impact the Marklin buying ability, but I guess there will be some pain to get through. We wish you all well. As has been suggested, there are lots of active Marklin Clubs and users here so you can always move here and boost the Marklin sales to NZ.

Edited by user 05 August 2019 11:08:37(UTC)  | Reason: Spelling

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline danmarklinman  
#55 Posted : 05 August 2019 09:05:47(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
I remember that when the UK went into the Common Market (as it was called then) in 1973, it took NZ 20 years to recover from the economic impact of losing access to the UK market for farm products.

It may well be the same for the UK in leaving the EU. That may or may not impact the Marklin buying ability, but I guess there will be some pain to get through. We wish you all well. As has been suggested, there are lots of active Marklin Clubs and users here so you can always move here and boost the Marklin sales to NZ.

If only I could:-) I’ve just recently seen a job advertised in NZ for my line of work. Trouble is I can’t go anywhere as my daughter is going to start her GCSEs this year😱😁. Maybe when she starts university Love
Marklin and Piko era 4 SNCB , Marklin wagons
Wiking model car Fan
Faller fan including car system
Instagram: marklin1978
Wiking fan
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by danmarklinman
Offline LongHairedDavid  
#56 Posted : 05 August 2019 11:15:00(UTC)
LongHairedDavid

Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
Maybe if we got together as a group in the UK and ordered from a UK dealer (Gaugemaster) they would give us a discount. However I cant remember Gaugemaster ever giving any type of discount. Buying in bulk usually is welcomed by a business .
Perhaps I will just move to Germany and explain to my wife that it is nothing to do with model rail but just a change of scenery and better weather.

I get all my UK stuff (Marklin (when possible), Roco or Piko) from Scograil. Neil Scoggins orders from Gaugemaster for me and gives me a good discount. If Gaugemaster have it, then Neil gets it within a few days. Normally, if I order on a Monday or Tuesday, I pick it up on Friday. The problem is that Gaugemaster's starting price is often too much so that even with Neil's discount it is more expensive than Germany but it might work once we leave.
Long Haired David
AKA David Pennington
A mystified Maerklin Newbie
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by LongHairedDavid
Offline steventrain  
#57 Posted : 05 August 2019 13:02:04(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
The euro currency would be 10-15% more expensive if no deal.

The price EUR 1.08 to £1 at the latest. Any paypal or credit card fees would be near to 1 EUR to £1.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline HO Collector  
#58 Posted : 05 August 2019 21:56:40(UTC)
HO Collector

United Kingdom   
No need to worry, the UK will stay in the EU, anything else will be a political suicide and Borris won't fall on his sword. Why do I say it?

1. He won't be able to accept May's deal for no other reason then own pride, so let start another round of negotiations.
2. The USA Congress has already said that they will not approve any trade deal with the UK if there will be a physical border in Northern Ireland, i.e. a No Deal exist.
The reason for this? The USA is a guarantor for the Good Friday agreement and next year the US has elections to the Congress and for the President office, the Irish community is influential (read large) and no one wants to upset them before important elections.

No need to rush.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by HO Collector
Offline Minok  
#59 Posted : 05 August 2019 23:59:22(UTC)
Minok

United States   
That is solid reasoning, though the electoral votes wrapped up in the northeast of the US, I'm not sure is substantial enough to be that significant of a factor but the key money influence on just the right senators and representatives may be enough, so I'll assume it will be an effective pressure. But just because it makes sense doesn't mean the politicians involved on all sides won'd do something completely bizarre for some twisted reason. May's negotiated exit agreement couldn't get support in the House of Commons because the house is so fragmented around a variety of issues, so you may never get a position that passes the Commons AND meets the key points the EU requires. And not wanting a hard exit isn't something that requires any legislative effort - that is what will happen if nothing else gets done, so to get out of the bind, the Commons (and or the people, and in a damn hurry) would need to clearly indicate a lack of an agreement must result in a withdrawal of the request to leave, as a complex arrangement won't be able to be negotiated at the last second. Of course I cannot really rule out the EU doing something bat-s crazy and reversing on the hard border to the EU requirement which would cause immense harm to the EU going forward, but thats only because politicians do some wierd things for reasons I'd not support. (eg the bank is too big to let fail, lets bail it out at taxpayer expense).
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline Carim  
#60 Posted : 06 August 2019 09:04:00(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
I think we are starting to talk about politics - can we please keep this thread on topic.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#61 Posted : 06 August 2019 09:19:11(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Just a friendly reminder to stay on topic and not digress into politics, which is verboten in the forum.

Otherwise, as you were!

Thankfully things haven't got antagonistic but I will reiterate the warning.
Offline David Dewar  
#62 Posted : 06 August 2019 11:50:50(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Might be better just giving this up now. Once we know the Brexit position I can try to get a place on the net where us UK folk can discuss best way forward to buy Marklin outwith this site. We have no interest in talking about Brexit other than buying Marklin but Brexit is political. We can get on to Facebook or similar and sort something without annoying others.
Thanks to the OP for bringing the subject up.
We should close this for now and I will post in the future as to where we can discuss further. Meanwhile if you have spare cash try to buy now before the pound gets worse and avoid any customs fees.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline HO Collector  
#63 Posted : 06 August 2019 20:54:08(UTC)
HO Collector

United Kingdom   
Apologies.
Did not mean to start a political debate. This Brexit thing will be the subject of many PhD students, just very interesting with all its aspects and effects.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by HO Collector
Offline ocram63_uk  
#64 Posted : 07 August 2019 16:43:38(UTC)
ocram63_uk

United Kingdom   
I have bought things on the Marklin shop and had to pay 19 euros of shipping cost.
I checked prices on the Marklin shop and checked prices on Gaugemaster.
The difference wasn't that much so I order stuff at the model shop in town and save the 19 euros, per shipment, that Marklin charges.
Fair and square to me.
Offline Rwill  
#65 Posted : 07 August 2019 20:52:02(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: ocram63_uk Go to Quoted Post
I have bought things on the Marklin shop and had to pay 19 euros of shipping cost.
The difference wasn't that much so I order stuff at the model shop in town and save the 19 euros, per shipment, that Marklin charges.
Fair and square to me.

OK so nothing at all do do with the B word, but surely you cannott be serious.

If I finally persuaded the FD that "we" could afford a much cherished brown croc in the current model line up as 39568 then surely yes I could look at the Marklin shop and pay 480Euros plus 9.95Eu shipping and expect to receive it within the week.

I could look at Guagemaster and see that it is £475 plus UK shipping. Of course it is not in stock, there are after all only 18 Ho loks in stock of the 131 loks listed. My experience from way back that the delivery time from Marklin to GM is quite a long time and variable because they try and wait until they have a bit of an order to cut down on their shipping cost. Woe betide if there is any thing wrong GM will tell you to return it to Marklin for warranty at your cost until you stamp your feet and remind them of the Sale of Goods Act 1896 or whatever it is called now.

I don't have a model shop in town prepared to order my Marklin.

But of course in reality I would order from MSL at the logged in price of 395 Euro plus horrendous shipping of 3 Euro and look forward to nearly 12 Euros rebate against my next purchase. I would expect to receive it by DHL probably on Monday well packaged - my usual gripe - no haribos any more. If there was a problem MSL would Email a return shipping coupon and a very rapid warranty return.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Rwill
Offline LongHairedDavid  
#66 Posted : 07 August 2019 21:56:03(UTC)
LongHairedDavid

Originally Posted by: Rwill Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: ocram63_uk Go to Quoted Post
Fair and square to me.

OK so nothing at all do do with the B word, but surely you cannott be serious.

If I finally persuaded the FD that "we" could afford a much cherished brown croc in the current model line up as 39568 then surely yes I could look at the Marklin shop and pay 480Euros plus 9.95Eu shipping and expect to receive it within the week.

I could look at Guagemaster and see that it is £475 plus UK shipping. Of course it is not in stock, there are after all only 18 Ho loks in stock of the 131 loks listed. My experience from way back that the delivery time from Marklin to GM is quite a long time and variable because they try and wait until they have a bit of an order to cut down on their shipping cost. Woe betide if there is any thing wrong GM will tell you to return it to Marklin for warranty at your cost until you stamp your feet and remind them of the Sale of Goods Act 1896 or whatever it is called now.

I don't have a model shop in town prepared to order my Marklin.

But of course in reality I would order from MSL at the logged in price of 395 Euro plus horrendous shipping of 3 Euro and look forward to nearly 12 Euros rebate against my next purchase. I would expect to receive it by DHL probably on Monday well packaged - my usual gripe - no haribos any more. If there was a problem MSL would Email a return shipping coupon and a very rapid warranty return.

I use my LHS - Scograil, in Ipswich for whatever little Marklin, Roco or Piko bits that I can get from them out of GM and I do get a decent discount but...

GM stocks are very poor and MSL's service is first class. Recently, I was able to get three Piko coaches from Scograil for £140.00 (£142.00 + shipping from Lippe) but I had to get the decoder for the cab end lighting from MSL. I try to do what I can locally but, as a retiree, I have to be careful with every penny so I mostly go with Lippe.
Long Haired David
AKA David Pennington
A mystified Maerklin Newbie
Offline dominator  
#67 Posted : 07 August 2019 23:58:51(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
Didn't Doris Day sing a song about "What will be, will be"?

We are to small to make a difference so "don't sweat the small stuff".

Dereck
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dominator
Offline jerdenberg  
#68 Posted : 08 August 2019 13:53:59(UTC)
jerdenberg

Netherlands   
Not directly related to GB, but to "outside influences" on pricing, an e-mail from Broadway Limited Imports in the USA:

"On September 1, 2019, the US will impose a 10% tariff on Chinese imports which will affect Broadway Limited Imports products arriving on or after September 1, 2019. Please see the table below for the price increases for five projects that have already been announced, but arriving after September 1—HO PRR T1, HO Baldwin Sharknose, HO GG1, HO EMD F3, HO Streamlined PRR K4. This price increase of 7% is effective retroactively, regardless of whether a preorder has already been placed. Broadway Limited Imports reserves the right to make additional tariff-based price increases depending upon delays (manufacturing or otherwise) that push additional previously announced products into the window of the September 1 tariff. Future announcements will have the tariff already factored into the price."

Jeroen
Figomima division, UP; mostly figment of my imagination yet.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jerdenberg
Offline Carim  
#69 Posted : 17 August 2019 11:30:46(UTC)
Carim

United Kingdom   
I just had to send my brand new ICE 3 (88715) back to Germany for a warranty repair and the Post Office asked me to fill in a customs declaration form (on which you have to declare the orginal value of the item). I thought that this was a bit weird and I was also was concerned that I may have to pay import duties if the model comes back to me only after Brexit. So I phoned up HMRC to ask them about this. The helpline had to contact the subject matter expert ("SME") so I had to hold for quite some time. The SME couldn't understand why a customs declaration needed to be made (but this is a new Post Office policy) and as to what happens after Brexit, HMRC does not have a clue what is going to happen.Confused Confused Confused

The helpline's advice was to keep all the orginal invoices and if the courier/Post Office insists on me paying duty if the repaired model only comes back after Brexit, keep any receipt for that and then apply to HMRC for a refund of the duty. (If I would have to pay for any repairs, the value of that may be subject to import duties post Brexit).

Carim
Offline kiwiAlan  
#70 Posted : 17 August 2019 16:04:46(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Carim Go to Quoted Post
HMRC does not have a clue what is going to happen.Confused Confused Confused

Situation Normal then ... Laugh Laugh Laugh LOL
Offline HO Collector  
#71 Posted : 17 August 2019 17:06:25(UTC)
HO Collector

United Kingdom   
Carim

Fill the customs declaration, if you need it you need it and if you don't you don't, it doesn't cost you anything. This way you will be able to prove that you have sent the engine for repair and that it is not a newly purchased engine.

I have sent an aircraft engine to be O/H in the USA, the shippers filled incorrect forms so when the engine came back I was asked to pay duty and VAT as I have imported a brand new engine and this was much more than what I hade to pay. I told the shippers to sort HMRC out and that I give them a month to do so because after that they will talk with my solicitor, they had X2 meeting with HMRC before HMRC agreed that there was a mistake.
Offline mrmarklin  
#72 Posted : 17 August 2019 17:23:26(UTC)
mrmarklin

United States   
Everyone buying Märklin should move to the US!

We don’t pay VAT and no duties on model trains!

Paradise!

With the savings of VAT alone one could buy a bigger house for the layout. BigGrin
From the People's Republik of Kalifornia
Offline HO Collector  
#73 Posted : 17 August 2019 17:40:58(UTC)
HO Collector

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: mrmarklin Go to Quoted Post

Paradise!

With the savings of VAT alone one could buy a bigger house for the layout. BigGrin

Hate you!!!!!!!!!!!Cursing Cursing
BigGrin
Offline Rwill  
#74 Posted : 17 August 2019 18:45:51(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   

Paradise!

By totally misunderstanding what I read in the newspaper and other important facts I thought this was about to change this week. So "your man" wanted to buy Greenland which is part of Denmark which is in the EU so I thought the USA would become part of the EU !!! and just then we would leave.............. OK OK dont shout I got it wrong on just about every count.BigGrin

Offline mrmarklin  
#75 Posted : 18 August 2019 00:50:45(UTC)
mrmarklin

United States   
Originally Posted by: Rwill Go to Quoted Post

Paradise!

By totally misunderstanding what I read in the newspaper and other important facts I thought this was about to change this week. So "your man" wanted to buy Greenland which is part of Denmark which is in the EU so I thought the USA would become part of the EU !!! and just then we would leave.............. OK OK dont shout I got it wrong on just about every count.BigGrin

Denmark informed Trump that Greenland is not open to US style real estate development, so the deal never got started!Crying
From the People's Republik of Kalifornia
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mrmarklin
Offline David Dewar  
#76 Posted : 18 August 2019 12:49:50(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Getting back on topic.. I appear to be spending a small fortune buying Marklin and Faller before Brexit. The loco that comes from Santa is now ordered.
With the value of the pound falling by the minute maybe I should sell up and go back to when I was 8 years old and buy Hornby.
However maybe sense will prevail and we will get another two years in the customs union with a deal.
Offline danmarklinman  
#77 Posted : 18 August 2019 14:14:08(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
Getting back on topic.. I appear to be spending a small fortune buying Marklin and Faller before Brexit. The loco that comes from Santa is now ordered.
With the value of the pound falling by the minute maybe I should sell up and go back to when I was 8 years old and buy Hornby.
However maybe sense will prevail and we will get another two years in the customs union with a deal.

I’ve been thinking along the same lines😁if you pardon the pun:-) Hornby oo has had its appeal to me for a while now. With its availability in two local model shops. You can even fit Smoke units if you wish👍 But we’re would I put itLOL I’m going to see what happens. I have all my stuff and one set I’m waiting for, which will arrive shortly. After that I can, start a new collection if I wish.
Wiking model car Fan
Wiking fan
Offline Rwill  
#78 Posted : 18 August 2019 16:22:09(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
I don't somehow see myself loosing my loyalty to The Marklin Product. Ok we shall probably be in for some fun and games for maybe quite a while but that's not Marklins fault is it? I don't suppose the future of the UK market is a subject discussed at their board meetings. I reckon there are probably not many more than a hundred UK citizens that buy new Marklin loks and kit. What I do find strange is the effect on the EU motor industry. Self, wife three grown up kids, wives and grandchildren we have a fleet of two Mercedes, two BMW and two VW cars two of which are on a short term replacement cycle. I noticed when I popped round to my eldest sons house there were two car brochures on the kitchen table - Land Rover and Jaguar.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Rwill
Offline danmarklinman  
#79 Posted : 18 August 2019 18:36:43(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Hi, I’m definitely not done with Märklin, just very worried that new Märklin will cost just to much for say a double container wagon. They are just below 100 Euros at the moment. And when one of those gets to over £100. It’s starts to get a bit off putting!!!
Wiking model car Fan
Wiking fan
Offline twmarklinfan  
#80 Posted : 18 August 2019 22:21:18(UTC)
twmarklinfan

United Kingdom   
I will definitely be staying with Marklin. My father started me on the M journey (or is that M track 😁) in 1964 in Hong Kong. There have been ups and downs but Marklin has bought so much pleasure over the years it ain’t going to stop now. Keep calm and run your trains!

P.s. I saw in one headline that Mrs Merkle is worried about our departure from the EU as recession threatens Germany. Perhaps she reads this forum.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by twmarklinfan