Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline LongHairedDavid  
#1 Posted : 23 July 2019 23:01:18(UTC)
LongHairedDavid

Here is a video of a new addition to my layout.

This is the Faller HO Polyp fairground ride. It comes with an AC motor, which I have discarded and replaced with an Amazon sourced 12V DC motor with gearbox.

12V DC motor

This has been hooked up to an Arduino with complex components. One is an L298N H Bridge motor controller. The other is a DF Player Mini - plays mp3s from a micro SD card.

You can see the resulting mess on the prototyping board here

UserPostedImage

Basically, there are 10 rock and roll tunes on the SD card. The Arduino picks one at random and calculates its length in seconds from an inbuilt table. It the spins the motor up gradually for 14 seconds, runs the ride for the required length and spins it down for 15 seconds. IT then delays for a random period and starts all over again. The idea is to recreat the ride that my wife remembers from Raphaels Park, Romford in the 60s when she was a teenager! The L298N is there to drive the motor as the Arduino doesn't have enough oomph. The power to the L298N comes from a Chinese 12V power supply in the pink box behind. This is the source of the hum. I am currently working on a thermistor driven Arduino to go inside the box and control the fan, which is what is making all the noise! Mind you, as it is 85% in my living room at the moment, now is not a good time to work out the settings!
Long Haired David
AKA David Pennington
A mystified Maerklin Newbie
thanks 9 users liked this useful post by LongHairedDavid
Offline Jimmy Thompson  
#2 Posted : 23 July 2019 23:28:59(UTC)
Jimmy Thompson

United States   
Not really Rock 'n' roll, but just right for "Polyp":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oH6mw2Rc3DQ

Cool

Jimmy
Jimmy T
Analogue; M-track; BR 111; KLVM; Primex; Sarrasani Zirkuswelt
There is a Prototype For Everything
Offline David Dewar  
#3 Posted : 23 July 2019 23:43:06(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
I have that kit from Faller which is good. I added extra lighting and people in the ride. Great idea you have there. Watch that the cups don't hit the floor of the ride. I had to adjust mine.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline Danlake  
#4 Posted : 24 July 2019 12:10:27(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Excellent David,

I love these sort of creative projects!

Well doneThumpUp

Best Regards
Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Danlake
Offline LongHairedDavid  
#5 Posted : 24 July 2019 12:41:05(UTC)
LongHairedDavid

Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
I have that kit from Faller which is good. I added extra lighting and people in the ride. Great idea you have there. Watch that the cups don't hit the floor of the ride. I had to adjust mine.

My next step is to add lighting (flashing, I hope) and some people. I have the big wheel to come. That will have the same treatment - but no sound. Two rides with music might work in a fun fair but not in my bedroom!
Long Haired David
AKA David Pennington
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by LongHairedDavid
Offline David Dewar  
#6 Posted : 24 July 2019 13:55:11(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Originally Posted by: LongHairedDavid Go to Quoted Post

My next step is to add lighting (flashing, I hope) and some people. I have the big wheel to come. That will have the same treatment - but no sound. Two rides with music might work in a fun fair but not in my bedroom!

Hi David. The kit you have is one of the easiest motorized ones from Faller. Some of the other fairground models can be difficult to build and get working. The Ferris wheel should be OK (not sure which one you are getting) Take care with the initial stages of the build when joining the wheel and placing the wire for the lights. Also the lights on the cups tend to flicker but I added some extra weight to them which helped.

The Faller fairground is almost a hobby on its own and looks great when all the lights (with some extra ones) are on.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline LongHairedDavid  
#7 Posted : 24 July 2019 14:29:44(UTC)
LongHairedDavid

Originally Posted by: LongHairedDavid Go to Quoted Post

Hi David. The kit you have is one of the easiest motorized ones from Faller. Some of the other fairground models can be difficult to build and get working. The Ferris wheel should be OK (not sure which one you are getting) Take care with the initial stages of the build when joining the wheel and placing the wire for the lights. Also the lights on the cups tend to flicker but I added some extra weight to them which helped.

The Faller fairground is almost a hobby on its own and looks great when all the lights (with some extra ones) are on.

Thanks. It's good to know that others do the same. Because I am using Arduinos, I have to trash the 16vAC motors - I can't work out how to control them from the Arduino.

I have 140312 Ferris wheel. That's a project for a few months ahead!
Long Haired David
AKA David Pennington
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by LongHairedDavid
Offline madhu.gn.71  
#8 Posted : 16 September 2019 04:29:08(UTC)
madhu.gn.71

India   
Hello David,
I see that you read songs from Arduino sketch to get the song's length. Is there a way to read or analyze the song's waveform as well? I have done a concert stage for my railroad and I want the stage lights to blink in sync with the song. Currently I have written basic logic with delay to make the lights blink inside the loop() function.
Regards,
Madhu
Offline LongHairedDavid  
#9 Posted : 16 September 2019 12:57:31(UTC)
LongHairedDavid

Originally Posted by: madhu.gn.71 Go to Quoted Post
Hello David,
I see that you read songs from Arduino sketch to get the song's length. Is there a way to read or analyze the song's waveform as well? I have done a concert stage for my railroad and I want the stage lights to blink in sync with the song. Currently I have written basic logic with delay to make the lights blink inside the loop() function.
Regards,
Madhu

I use two programs to try and find what I wanted - I use a HEX editor and an app called Stamp ID3 Tag Editor.

However, I haven't the full details of what is inside an MP3. Using MS Windows File Manager I can see a Bit rate and a track length in time. However, I can't find either of those with my tools. I think that I would have to buy the full MP3 spec to get deeper into the details. You can, as I do, just open up an MP3 as a standard file - I use SlickEditPro to do this - it shows me the ASCII for the file contents.

This is why I do the following:

Note the run times of each MP3 using File Manager; create an array of all track times in seconds; rename each file with a nu,ber to match their position in the array; set a play delay for the time from the array. Nothing fancier than that!

Using my MP3 editor, I notice that all the BPM entries are blank. The editor obviously expects to find this info my it seems that there is nothing in there for any of my MP3s.

Sorry I can't be more help. If anyone knows where I can get either a BPM or a play time from an MP3 please let me know
Long Haired David
AKA David Pennington
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by LongHairedDavid
Offline Purellum  
#10 Posted : 16 September 2019 14:22:42(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

I want the stage lights to blink in sync with the song.

I would do this analog BigGrin

Of course making sure your amplifier for the music doesn't get overloaded, and then just connect some LEDs to the music output.

If you want it to be more advanced, low pass and high pass filters to divide
the different frequency ranges into different groups of LEDs BigGrin

More or less the same way light shows were made 40+ years ago LOL

Per.

Cool

If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline madhu.gn.71  
#11 Posted : 17 September 2019 12:02:47(UTC)
madhu.gn.71

India   
Originally Posted by: Purellum Go to Quoted Post
Cool

Per, you just gave me another idea. I've just ordered a sound sensor. I'll read the analog values from it and make the lights blink depending on the frequency of the music being played. Sorry David for deviating the topic.
Just to show off, here is my current stage set up with lights blinking.Cool
c6.jpg
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by madhu.gn.71
Offline LongHairedDavid  
#12 Posted : 17 September 2019 12:47:51(UTC)
LongHairedDavid

Originally Posted by: Purellum Go to Quoted Post
Cool

Per, you just gave me another idea. I've just ordered a sound sensor. I'll read the analog values from it and make the lights blink depending on the frequency of the music being played. Sorry David for deviating the topic.
Just to show off, here is my current stage set up with lights blinking.Cool
c6.jpg

NO probs - I appreciate any extra ideas. I haven't got to a pop concert yet, but I might!
Long Haired David
AKA David Pennington
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by LongHairedDavid
Offline charles05  
#13 Posted : 02 October 2019 14:37:10(UTC)
charles05

Australia   
That is amazing. I really envy your skill. I would love to do this with my Faller fairground kits that I am constructing for my HO layout. I have a little bit of experience with Arduinos but, the motor is 16 v AC as you know.
Did you put a link for the replacement motor you bought?
Thanks very much for sharing.
Great job!
Richard
Tasmania
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by charles05
Offline charles05  
#14 Posted : 03 October 2019 14:52:35(UTC)
charles05

Australia   
Thanks for the motivation Long Haired Dave!
I have programmed step motors through two nanos to power a merry-go-round and Dodgem Car set. It looks like the motors can be reasonably easily fitted into place.
To finish the models may take another month or two but then I hope to tackle the sound part.
I appreciate your post Dave. It has motivated me.
Richard
Tasmania
Offline LongHairedDavid  
#15 Posted : 03 October 2019 17:58:13(UTC)
LongHairedDavid

Originally Posted by: charles05 Go to Quoted Post
That is amazing. I really envy your skill. I would love to do this with my Faller fairground kits that I am constructing for my HO layout. I have a little bit of experience with Arduinos but, the motor is 16 v AC as you know.
Did you put a link for the replacement motor you bought?
Thanks very much for sharing.
Great job!
Richard
Tasmania

Hi there. Thanks for the comments. I didn't replace the motor. I bought a 16V AC power supply from Gaugemaster. I then bought the following from Amazon

ARCELI 5PCS KY-019 5V One Channel Relay Module Board

https://amzn.to/31IQK8h

This is a set of 5 relays. Each one has an input from the Arduino and a connection for the 16V ac, Switching the relay on and off using 5V manages the 16V feed to the motor. Very easy.

David
Long Haired David
AKA David Pennington
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by LongHairedDavid
Offline LongHairedDavid  
#16 Posted : 03 October 2019 18:05:13(UTC)
LongHairedDavid

Thanks for the motivation Long Haired Dave!
I have programmed step motors through two nanos to power a merry-go-round and Dodgem Car set. It looks like the motors can be reasonably easily fitted into place.
To finish the models may take another month or two but then I hope to tackle the sound part.
I appreciate your post Dave. It has motivated me.
Richard
Tasmania

I am getting the bug. I could almost drop my Marklin layout and build a fun fair - grin. Mind you it would be just as expensive as buying Marklin loks!

Long Haired David
AKA David Pennington
Offline charles05  
#17 Posted : 04 October 2019 01:33:21(UTC)
charles05

Australia   
Quote:

Hi there. Thanks for the comments. I didn't replace the motor. I bought a 16V AC power supply from Gaugemaster. I then bought the following from Amazon

This is a set of 5 relays. Each one has an input from the Arduino and a connection for the 16V ac, Switching the relay on and off using 5V manages the 16V feed to the motor. Very easy.

David

That makes sense! I will do the same.
I thought the advantage of using the step motor is it is easy to control the RPM. Do you find the 16 volt motors are a good speed, or can you adjust them through the Arduino?
Cheers.
Offline LongHairedDavid  
#18 Posted : 04 October 2019 03:33:19(UTC)
LongHairedDavid

Quote:

David

That makes sense! I will do the same.
I thought the advantage of using the step motor is it is easy to control the RPM. Do you find the 16 volt motors are a good speed, or can you adjust them through the Arduino?
Cheers.

I haven’t tried changing the speed as it was fine out of the box. You might get it to slow down by switching It on and off but I wouldn’t hold my breath!

Long Haired David
AKA David Pennington