Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline CCS800KrokHunter3  
#1 Posted : 16 July 2019 15:36:11(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
Hi Marklin friends,

Its not often we see Marklin boats so I thought I'd post about an interesting one on eBay. At first glance a rare early 1900s clockwork paddle boat steamer. On closer inspection the boat doesn't have the Marklin stamp on it, and the finer details are not up to Marklin's typical craftsmanship. The intricate painting details look like they may have been printed instead of hand-painted like Marklin would have done. However the boat's hull, smoke stack with chain, rudder, red spinning wheels on both sides and rolling stand are very well done and these pieces are difficult to reproduce - and so possibly original? Perhaps the previous owner used an original Marklin boat and heavily restored it.

A link to the auction:

https://rover.ebay.com/r..._trksid%3Dp2471758.m4704

Best,

Paul
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by CCS800KrokHunter3
Offline Markus Schild  
#2 Posted : 16 July 2019 22:22:40(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi,

This a very old toy from the mid- or late 1890s. In these years Märklin didn't mark their toys, but the painted "Made in Germany" is very typical for Märklin-toys. The quality of the craftsmanship hadn't reached the level, the company later became famous for. The model has still elements inherited from LUTZ - toys like the painted windows. Very similar ships are known from LUTZ (bought by Märklin ~1891), but LUTZ - ships don't have that "Made in Germany".

If this ship is restored it is made almost perfect. I see no hint for a restoration.

Regards

Markus
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Markus Schild
#3 Posted : 16 July 2019 22:50:44(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
Hi Markus,

Thanks very much for your comments. You are certainly right, it does have a LUTZ style to it, and it's certainly earlier than the other Marklin paddle boats so I believe your dating is correct. The style of railing is also earlier style. However, I still feel some of the paint work is not correct / original. Seeing this Marklin submarine also makes me worried:

https://rover.ebay.com/r...f%3Ag%3AZGEAAOSwS9BdKmU8

While the paint on the sub looks old, it's clearly not like other Marklin subs from the era. And the metal work is rather sloppy, unless it too is earlier. However, I haven't seen any earlier subs (from Lutz or Marklin themselves).

From the Forbes collection I found a different (but still rather early boat) which has similar railing design. But this boat has classic Marklin fine painting - the windows are hand painted in a similar style, but perfect.

http://www.sothebys.com/...ction-n08706/lot.70.html

Here is also a more similar LUTZ boat for comparison. Notice the perfect lettering on this one for the TOULOUSE.

https://www.liveauctione...use#&gid=1&pid=1

Perhaps we have an in-between boat with many characteristics of LUTZ but with Marklin features too as you suggested. This was common for some locomotives that Marklin transitioned over from LUTZ. However, I'm still not certain the Marklin boat is 100% original. How about the band of painted flowers at the top of the hull - it looks like fabric? The seams can be seen where the color is darker.... unless the photos are fooling my eyes.

All the best,

Paul
#4 Posted : 16 July 2019 23:44:06(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
Found another reference image of a boat attributed to LUTZ:

UserPostedImage

Similar characteristics including painted windows (outer frame red and inner panels white) and top band around hull (painted on this one).

Paul
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by CCS800KrokHunter3