Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline nzrabbitty  
#1 Posted : 13 July 2019 00:40:59(UTC)
nzrabbitty

New Zealand   
I can guarantee this has been asked and answered many, many times, Sorry before you roar at me.

I used to play with Marklin analogue and M track when I was much younger (13-18),
But never had the time/Money/space or combinations of these 3 to get in to it properly.
Now may years later I have learnt that you have to make Time/Money/Space or you miss out.

Digital was just starting when I left my trains behind 1972 (learning was so easy then.
Now a newbie back, still remember how to set up and run analogue.
But need to catch up now and move into the digital world.
I am a computer tech. so it should have been easy.
But it seems to evolved it's own language,
and are finding it as hard as trying to learn German,
which all the instruction books appear to be written in.
Hoping some kind soul can take another wounded bird under their wing and advise.
I prefer reading books to learn the basics then I have the Courage to jump in the deep end.

Many thanks for not yelling at me.
but I have searched this forum and on line with very little luck.

NZRabbitty
Hamilton
New Zeasand
I Have found A Cheap and safe way to Have an Exciting Life
Get Married And Give your Wife A Hard Time
You Know Your Going To Get A Thick Ear
BUT you never know When

Cheers
Chris
Offline dominator  
#2 Posted : 13 July 2019 02:19:22(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
Hi Chris, I am probably one of the dumb ones on this forum. About 4 years ago I got started on digital. Way back in about 1999 I started purchasing digital locos, but it wasn't until 4 years or so ago i bought a Delta set on trademe. Once I got on this forum, I then bought an MS2, and got help from forum members on how to run it. I then bought another, but ran it on a separate circuit from the other one. I eventually got game enough to run the two through the same track box.

To me, the MS2 is a great starter controller and can be bought for a reasonable price. It really depends on what you want to do and how big you want to go. A central station of course is the premium way to go eventually as you choose.

So, buy some digital locos [ if you haven't already ] and and MS2 and you will have another cheap form of excitement [ and frustration ] .

Living in Hamilton, you must be near someone else who has a central station so you may be able to get their help in updating the ms2 as necessary from time to time.

Works for me.

Dereck

Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
Offline mvd71  
#3 Posted : 13 July 2019 02:46:28(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
I'm in south Auckland and have a cs2 with a modest layout. Perhaps I can offer assistance at some stage.

Derek's suggestion of an ms2 is a pretty good idea, it remains usable later if you upgrade to a larger controller.

Of course what locos you have will influence the equation, and what your aim is in terms of a layout. Understanding that will help a lot in terms of choosing the most suitable controller.

Cheers....

Mike
Offline Elsleuth1  
#4 Posted : 13 July 2019 04:09:22(UTC)
Elsleuth1

United States   
For me this book is most helpful even though it is for a CS3. It still has lots of information on how Marklin digital works.

Screen Shot 2019-07-12 at 8.07.33 PM.png
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Elsleuth1
Offline kiwiAlan  
#5 Posted : 13 July 2019 11:27:54(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Elsleuth1 Go to Quoted Post
For me this book is most helpful even though it is for a CS3. It still has lots of information on how Marklin digital works.

I would also suggest this book, but another option is to see if someone has a PDF of the original 0308 digital book that Marklin brought out to support the original 6020/6021 controllers to get a grounding in the Marklin digital process.

And I would be another one to suggest getting an ms2 controller as your entry point. One way to do this is to get a starter set that has one in it, which will get you up and running immediately, or the 29000 set if you already have a start set that has C track, but no ms2, as it has a set of R2 track giving a second oval. Just clicking on the 'manuals' link on that page will also give you a download that will help you understand a reasonable bit more about setting up such a system.
Offline mvd71  
#6 Posted : 13 July 2019 11:40:10(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
You can download the manuals for the ms2/cs3 from Marklins website to get a little product knowledge on current controllers.
Offline ktsolias  
#7 Posted : 13 July 2019 12:28:09(UTC)
ktsolias

Greece   
Look here

https://lnx.3rotaie.it/wp/?wpfb_dl=410

Very interesting manual in ENGLISH

There are more in German if you can understand!!!

Costas
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by ktsolias
Offline David Dewar  
#8 Posted : 13 July 2019 21:16:17(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
The Marklin book on the CS3 is the one to get. Mainly however I find that trial and error and asking on this forum is also very good.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline nzrabbitty  
#9 Posted : 13 July 2019 22:47:39(UTC)
nzrabbitty

New Zealand   
Thanks for the replies and the advice and guidance,
It was greatly appreciated.
Have found the manuals and the books you all mentioned
and have downloaded the PDF of them.
Looking forward to break in to this new world.

Chris
Hamilton NZHuh
I Have found A Cheap and safe way to Have an Exciting Life
Get Married And Give your Wife A Hard Time
You Know Your Going To Get A Thick Ear
BUT you never know When

Cheers
Chris
Offline TEEWolf  
#10 Posted : 13 July 2019 23:27:50(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: nzrabbitty Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for the replies and the advice and guidance,
It was greatly appreciated.
Have found the manuals and the books you all mentioned
and have downloaded the PDF of them.
Looking forward to break in to this new world.

Chris
Hamilton NZHuh

But are you familiar with the German language a little bit?

Here is another book from Märklin.

"Gauge H0 - Article No. 03070
Book "Returning/Changing Over to Digital Model Railroading""

https://www.maerklin.de/...s/details/article/03070/

Unfortunately this book is only in German available.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#11 Posted : 14 July 2019 03:25:33(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: ktsolias Go to Quoted Post
Look here

https://lnx.3rotaie.it/wp/?wpfb_dl=410

Very interesting manual in ENGLISH

There are more in German if you can understand!!!

Costas

That's the scan I did of my copy of that book. I did know that the Italian Marklin Fan guys had a copy of it.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline leesauer  
#12 Posted : 14 July 2019 21:30:42(UTC)
leesauer

United States   
Hi NZRabbity,

All the suggestions you've received so far are on the money, and are ones I'd endorse. I'd suggest two additional ones, one free, one not.

The free one is to join the Marklin Digital Club. You get an INCREDIBLY helpful emailed newsletter every two months. I've been lost trying to use my CS3, and the combination of the Running Trains Digitally with the Central Station 3 plus the Digital Club newsletters has made so much clear. In addition, you are welcome to email or call the two authors of the newsletter at any time to get help. Obviously, a call from NZ to the US can be pricey, but I'd be surprised if they can't Skype a call with you. In addition, they have an archive of all the issues going back a couple of decades, so if you're working with older Marklin gear, then that may also be particularly useful. To join, contact Brenda Hensleigh at Brenda@Marklin.com. She's the US Marklin rep, and has been incredibly helpful to me and many others. She can set up your subscription to the Marklin Digital Club.

The unfree one is Marklin Magazine. In the US it's only available with a membership in the Marklin Insider Club (which gets you a few other benefits like free catalogs and early access to Insider models). In the US, Insider Membership costs US$99. In Europe, you can just subscribe to the magazine. Unfortunately, not something you can do in the US. I don't have any information on the NZ pricing of the Marklin Insider Club, but I'd start by asking my Marklin dealer. If you're looking for back issues of the English-language version, I know that Brenda Hensleigh (from the previous paragraph) has a darn good inventory of the last several years which are available for $5 each. Shipping in the US is free, but I'm sure there would be a charge for shipping to NZ, and you might find a cheaper resource locally.

Good luck jumping back into the hobby. It's a lot of fun, even when it's frustrating, and this forum is an incredible resource!
Lee Sauer
Sacramento, CA