Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline David Dewar  
#1 Posted : 29 June 2019 14:44:31(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
IF I connect my CS2 to my CS3 plus is all I need the connecting cable. Having done that will the CS2 then allow shuttles etc to be set up and operate using the S88 which is directly connected to the CS3 Plus by picking up all the signals from the CS3 PLus .

Basically all I need is the connecting cable and nothing else to operate the CS2 with all the facilities provided by the CS3 Plus S88.

I have had a look at the Marklin book but not quite find the answer.

Many thanks for any help

Dave.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline TEEWolf  
#2 Posted : 30 June 2019 02:11:21(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
IF I connect my CS2 to my CS3 plus is all I need the connecting cable. Having done that will the CS2 then allow shuttles etc to be set up and operate using the S88 which is directly connected to the CS3 Plus by picking up all the signals from the CS3 PLus .

Basically all I need is the connecting cable and nothing else to operate the CS2 with all the facilities provided by the CS3 Plus S88.

I have had a look at the Marklin book but not quite find the answer.

Many thanks for any help

Dave.

Hello Dave,

do I understand your question correctly: what can a CS 2 do, if the CS 2 is the slave of a CS 3+?

I do not have a CS 2, so I cannot test it. But hanging my MS 2 to a CS 3+ my MS 2 is always the slave and I can do almost, yes, nothing except running trains and toggle solenoid articles. Even changing a loco which is not yet in my MS 2 memory, I have to recall from the CS 3+.

But reading the Maerklin book first on p 99, then on page 24 No 5 a MS 2 is not comparable. The MS 2 is only via the CS 3 a part of the CAN bus. Your CS 2 is part of the CAN bus directly. You see it by using different connecting cables.

Reading page 71 in the Mbook you transfer all your data from a CS 2 to a CS 3. So the CS 3 is now controlling all your facilities. For me it means, you may toggle them all by the CS 2 as well, but in my opinon no changes and savings are possible. I will have a look in my CS 3 workbook too. Perhaps I get new knowledges.

Best regarrds

Wolfgang
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline clapcott  
#3 Posted : 30 June 2019 08:49:15(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
IF I connect my CS2 to my CS3 plus is all I need the connecting cable.
Yes
When connected the CS2 will be automatically set to slave mode.
Quote:
Having done that will the CS2 then allow shuttles etc to be set up and operate using the S88 which is directly connected to the CS3 Plus

Yes. Sensors connected to the CS3 is the preferred way
CS2 shuttle will need to be (re)defined to use the CS3s S88 ports

Note: while sensors still connected to the CS2 are seen by the CS3 (as an external sensor host, like a L88) , and are usable for most other CS3 activities, my experience is that they cannot be used as a CS2 shuttle if directly called from the same (slave) CS2 (Get a warning message about sensors scan not being complete which is both wrong and irrelavent)

Note: as per CS2 Shuttle lmitations, all sensors in a shuttle must be on the same controlling device (you cannot have a shuttle with a sensor on the CS3 and another on an L88.

Quote:
by picking up all the signals from the CS3 PLus
I do not understand this comment
Do you mean proper signals or are you alluding to S88 signals from sensors that remain connected to the CS2. if so then no, see above
Peter
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by clapcott
Offline David Dewar  
#4 Posted : 30 June 2019 12:01:40(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Thanks Peter. Sorry if not made clear as I am just talking about information coming from the CS3 PLus going to the CS2 and not actual railway signals.

Providing I can take a wire from the S88 (which is attached to the CS3 Plus) directly to the CS2 and set up shuttles on the CS2 using this then that is all I need and my CS2 will run two shuttles

Many thanks for your answer which gives more information than I could find from the Marklin book on running CS3 s.

David
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline TEEWolf  
#5 Posted : 30 June 2019 15:09:48(UTC)
TEEWolf

Thanks Peter. Sorry if not made clear as I am just talking about information coming from the CS3 PLus going to the CS2 and not actual railway signals.

Providing I can take a wire from the S88 (which is attached to the CS3 Plus) directly to the CS2 and set up shuttles on the CS2 using this then that is all I need and my CS2 will run two shuttles

Many thanks for your answer which gives more information than I could find from the Marklin book on running CS3 s.

David

I do not think so. Your CS 3+ is the master, then your CS 2 has to be the slave. You have to configure this in the CS 3+ section systems settings. The same is with the S88 modules. All these devices have to be setted up and defined in the CS 3+. You see in your CS 3+ an overview of the complete network for your layout, even if the attached appliances are switched off. So the GFP 3 of the CS 3+ will communicate with the relevant information with all other connected and used CS. In the “Workbook for a CS 3” is written, only one CS is responsible for the administration of the complete CAN bus and the transformation of the track signals with the GFP (Gleisformatprozessor). In the menu for a slave CS you find the field “status query interval” (hopefully Maerklin has translated this field Status-Abfrage-Intervall with the same words) with a preset time of 5 seconds. It is recommended to keep this 5 seconds.While extending this time to 8 or 9 seconds it may cause trouble, because the signal will come sometimes too late. If you reduce to 4 or 3 seconds the author wrote the data may increase too much and the processor is getting slower in the calculation.
As you see in the

System architecture CAN bus

all devices are connected with the CAN bus, which is centralized in the master CS 3+. Also the CS 2 slave is only attached to this bus, but there are no direct cabling from the S88 to the CS 2.

I am looking forward to hear about your experience, if you connect a S88 directly with the CS 2.
Offline David Dewar  
#6 Posted : 30 June 2019 21:01:00(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post

David

I do not think so. Your CS 3+ is the master, then your CS 2 has to be the slave. You have to configure this in the CS 3+ section systems settings. The same is with the S88 modules. All these devices have to be setted up and defined in the CS 3+. You see in your CS 3+ an overview of the complete network for your layout, even if the attached appliances are switched off. So the GFP 3 of the CS 3+ will communicate with the relevant information with all other connected and used CS. In the “Workbook for a CS 3” is written, only one CS is responsible for the administration of the complete CAN bus and the transformation of the track signals with the GFP (Gleisformatprozessor). In the menu for a slave CS you find the field “status query interval” (hopefully Maerklin has translated this field Status-Abfrage-Intervall with the same words) with a preset time of 5 seconds. It is recommended to keep this 5 seconds.While extending this time to 8 or 9 seconds it may cause trouble, because the signal will come sometimes too late. If you reduce to 4 or 3 seconds the author wrote the data may increase too much and the processor is getting slower in the calculation.
As you see in the

System architecture CAN bus

all devices are connected with the CAN bus, which is centralized in the master CS 3+. Also the CS 2 slave is only attached to this bus, but there are no direct cabling from the S88 to the CS 2.

I am looking forward to hear about your experience, if you connect a S88 directly with the CS 2.

I am not connecting the S88 to the CS2. I appear to have a problem saying that the CS2 will receive the information from the CS3 Plus S88. which will then run the shuttle on the CS2. Cant make it any simpler. Anyway will order the cable along with my next order to Lippe and let you know how it works.

David

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline clapcott  
#7 Posted : 01 July 2019 07:36:33(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
A schematic as I understand it
UserPostedImage
Peter
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by clapcott
Offline David Dewar  
#8 Posted : 01 July 2019 11:22:02(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Originally Posted by: clapcott Go to Quoted Post
A schematic as I understand it
UserPostedImage

Thanks Peter. Excellent diagram and explanation.
Online JohnjeanB  
#9 Posted : 01 July 2019 12:57:16(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi David

It is a bit late and in German but here is a video about this.
Yes you need a 60123 cable nothing else.
You have to set the CS2 as a Slave and select all but one (layout) as in 1:00 into the video

Hope this helps
Cheers
Jean
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by JohnjeanB
Offline David Dewar  
#10 Posted : 01 July 2019 13:17:31(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Hi Jean.

Thanks for Video. Amazing help from everybody as usual on our forum.

David