Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline TEEWolf  
#1 Posted : 28 June 2019 03:41:27(UTC)
TEEWolf

Yesterday (27-06-2019) I received a webmail from Maerklin with an article

"Big boy good boy" - Märklin published this article and a video about the restored Big Boy 4014 announcing to report in the future sporatic about the 4014.

https://www.maerklin.de/en/lp/2019/bigboy/

Unfortunately no word, if a new model of this Big Boy 4014 will be available by Maerklin soon. So I still will be patient and wait for a remake of the Big Boy by Maerklin in H0.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by TEEWolf
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 28 June 2019 10:58:30(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: TEEWolf Go to Quoted Post
Yesterday (27-06-2019) I received a webmail from Maerklin with an article

"Big boy good boy" - Märklin published this article and a video about the restored Big Boy 4014 announcing to report in the future sporatic about the 4014.

https://www.maerklin.de/en/lp/2019/bigboy/

Yeah, I was trying to work out what the engineer is doing in the photo at the top of that page. It looks like he has an oilcan in his hand and is trying to reach an oil poy that needs filling, but that would be a strange place to put such an item, too high to reach from the ground, but way below the window to make it hard to reach from the cab ... Confused Confused Confused
Offline klarinettmeister  
#3 Posted : 28 June 2019 19:21:10(UTC)
klarinettmeister

Sweden   
No thanks. As a owner of 7 Big Boys I'd rather have a Big Boy with another road number.
I think it's too expensive to continue with alot of American models. Märklin still have the Challenger 39912 from last summer in stock!!
Offline bph  
#4 Posted : 28 June 2019 19:39:59(UTC)
bph

Norway   
I think will pass on a possible new 4014. Instead I’m planning to “overhaul” my old 4014 (37990). Plan to install a new mSD3 decoder, and a better speaker like eg. ESU cube speaker, if it works out well. It’s a great locomotive and pulling power is very good. So it deserves an upgrade 😊
Offline TEEWolf  
#5 Posted : 28 June 2019 20:18:08(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: klarinettmeister Go to Quoted Post
No thanks. As a owner of 7 Big Boys I'd rather have a Big Boy with another road number.
I think it's too expensive to continue with alot of American models. Märklin still have the Challenger 39912 from last summer in stock!!

First, I do have zero, naught, nil Big Boy and at the moment no one is available at Maerklin.Crying

Second, compare the Challenger with the Big Boy is a joke Laugh. The Challenger probabely was built for the short distances in Sweden LOL Flapper LOL. Class 3900.

But the Big Boy was the King of the Rocky Mountains. Class 4000! ThumpUp

Third, nobody forces you to buy an 8th Big Boy.BigGrin

P.S.: scroll down to the comparison of a Big Boy with a Challenger - see the differences!

https://www.grimm-weinhe...ber-42-zentimeter-u.html
Offline Elsleuth1  
#6 Posted : 28 June 2019 20:53:40(UTC)
Elsleuth1

United States   
I think you would need a rather large layout to handle the Big Boy. Not mine. But if you model the Rockies go for it.
Offline klarinettmeister  
#7 Posted : 28 June 2019 20:59:57(UTC)
klarinettmeister

Sweden   
I've seen alot of Big Boys on 2nd hand market for about 2/3rd of the original prices.
Offline jvuye  
#8 Posted : 29 June 2019 08:56:16(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   

First, I do have zero, naught, nil Big Boy and at the moment no one is available at Maerklin.Crying
l

I'm sure that if you had seen either one in "real", you couldn't sleep until you had one!

Honestly , I was once in a " UP Shippers' special (1991 Sacramento Railfair to Portola) , pulled by Challenger 3995 and FEF-3 844.
Never will I forget!
And I also saw Big Boy 4014 in Pomona back in 1978 (?)...I was sad because I thought it would never ride again.

I couldn't live without my (HO) UP monsters!

Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline jerdenberg  
#9 Posted : 29 June 2019 12:28:25(UTC)
jerdenberg

Netherlands   
Second, compare the Challenger with the Big Boy is a joke Laugh. The Challenger probabely was built for the short distances in Sweden LOL Flapper LOL. Class 3900.

I would disagree, looking at my Challenger 3706 next to Big Boy 4012. They are not spectacularly different in length (~45 vs ~42 cm) and height (Challenger very slightly higher because of the larger-diameter drive wheels), even with the different numbers of drive wheels; I do prefer the Big Boy as I find its proportions make it look sleeker than the Challenger.

Jeroen

Figomima division, UP; mostly figment of my imagination yet.
Offline TEEWolf  
#10 Posted : 30 June 2019 03:44:52(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: jvuye Go to Quoted Post

l

I'm sure that if you had seen either one in "real", you couldn't sleep until you had one!

Honestly , I was once in a " UP Shippers' special (1991 Sacramento Railfair to Portola) , pulled by Challenger 3995 and FEF-3 844.
Never will I forget!
And I also saw Big Boy 4014 in Pomona back in 1978 (?)...I was sad because I thought it would never ride again.

I couldn't live without my (HO) UP monsters!

Yeah, it is time going West again! Visit No. 4014 at the maintenance hall of Union Pacific Cheyenne (Wyoming), USA.

Even there are still other places with a Big Boy.

https://oldtimer-veranst...cific-wieder-in-betrieb/

But in Ceyenne are 2 of them and one is full under steam again.

Here is the steam routing for 2019

https://www.up.com/herit...steam/schedule/index.htm
Offline dickinsonj  
#11 Posted : 30 June 2019 15:00:36(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: jerdenberg Go to Quoted Post
I do prefer the Big Boy as I find its proportions make it look sleeker than the Challenger.

Jeroen

That is true. When sitting side by side you can see just how similar these two giant locos are, with the greater boiler length and two extra drive axles being the primary difference. But the Big Boy has such perfect proportions that it wins out by a small amount IMO. Cool

When Märklin announced the Challenger I thought that I didn't need one because I have a Big Boy (2001 #4013) and they seemed too similar. But of course I broke down and bought an oil fired Challenger and I love it too. My biggest problem with collecting any more of the UP giants is the lack of a clear commitment by Märklin to making American models at this time. My last two US models were 5 year old passenger trains which were still sitting new on dealer's shelves.

What I really need to do is to jump in and update the decoder and speaker in my old 37990 to make it as nicely featured as the Challenger is. ThumpUp
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline jerdenberg  
#12 Posted : 30 June 2019 19:52:12(UTC)
jerdenberg

Netherlands   
Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post
My biggest problem with collecting any more of the UP giants is the lack of a clear commitment by Märklin to making American models at this time. My last two US models were 5 year old passenger trains which were still sitting new on dealer's shelves.

What I really need to do is to jump in and update the decoder and speaker in my old 37990 to make it as nicely featured as the Challenger is. ThumpUp

What I had hoped for specifically (but gave up on long ago – I defected to Walthers versions) were UP streamliner coaches/vista domes/… to go with the PA's; while Märklin did produce passenger coaches etc. for other roads, there have not been Mä versions of UP varnish except locs. The Walthers models I bought are nice, but detail parts are user-applied (didn't get to that yet), and in view of their lenght (29 cm bodies) I have not had the heart to try and run them on my present semi-permanent contorted ovals (with R3 and R2).

There is one gripe I have with my Challenger 3706: even looking at it alone, I find the lights excessively bright; in comparison with the Big Boys, they are ridiculously bright, and terribly white [the latter is my personal taste; I never disliked the yellow lights with the passion many loathe them; indeed, I would think the light of the 1:1 headlamps (incandescent bulbs) was closer to the Big Boy yellow than the Challenger white; that said, if there is only yellowish light it is perceived as white in no time – cf. the "raw" colour of pictures taken by the light of incandescent bulbs vs the colours perceived by the observer at the time of exposure].

Jeroen

Figomima division, UP; mostly figment of my imagination yet.
Offline dickinsonj  
#13 Posted : 01 July 2019 02:36:05(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: jerdenberg Go to Quoted Post
There is one gripe I have with my Challenger 3706: even looking at it alone, I find the lights excessively bright; in comparison with the Big Boys, they are ridiculously bright, and terribly white...

Jeroen

I definitely agree on the light comparison. The lights in even my ancient Big Boy are quite nice with a warm color and they look like lights from that era should. They don't look like the circus is coming to town but they do look perfectly authentic. Cool

My opinion on the Challenger is that they were going for flash and features and it actually is quite a good value compared to the last several new steamers from Märklin. But the lights are ridiculously bright and they are completely out of visual scale for the models. That is something that you can control a bit in software although more drastic measures might be required. It does make for a nice show the way it is but the more subtle and correct Big Boy lighting scheme puts it to shame, even with fewer bells and whistles. Cool

They make for a beautiful pair of UP freight haulers though, which is quite appropriate for both locos and they dominate any layout on which they run. BigGrin

But I no longer dream of some of the classic NA passenger trains that they could have made. They have never made any coaches except for the Budds that they were already producing 20 years ago. That leaves them out of play for ever making some of the best trains that ran in NA. But I don't think that their market appreciates NA trains enough to develop more.

The Big Boy was an exception - The size and complexity of the prototype made it famous and so it does for the Märklin's Big Boys in the MRR world. But most of us are really buying Märklin for their superb European trains, with an logical emphasis on German trains. That is certainly the case for me and I think that NA modals were just a brief but glorious encounter for them, and not a long term relationship. BigGrin

And listen to David - his collection and MRR wisdom combine to make him pretty definitive on NA and other top end Märklin models in my experience. I like the same items that David collects but buy a somewhat smaller percentage of them. So he has the owner's experience and understanding to make very informed comparisons and has been a real resource when I was deciding on some models that I had no background on. ThumpUp

Of course I could easily say that about many other people here who have helped me drill down to the cause and remedy for many of my problems and buying decisions. There are too many people to name individually, but just let me say that for me this forum has been invaluable as I moved to where basically am I my own dealer and doing everything myself, except for factory level repairs. There is a lot of satisfaction in making such a complex system work in perfect harmony, with mechanical, electrical, and software interacting perfectly . I don't always get there but I do at times and it is always magical - a subset of the world that I have imagined and brought to life. Cool

Buying from distant online dealers is working quite well for me by the way and I have a much better and deeper understanding of Märklin's products as a result, whether I really wanted it or not. It's been a fun ride and I don't regret a minute of it! Cool
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline steventrain  
#14 Posted : 01 July 2019 19:52:28(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Marklin said big boy 4014 HO model will not planned.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline TEEWolf  
#15 Posted : 01 July 2019 21:22:44(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: steventrain Go to Quoted Post
Marklin said big boy 4014 HO model will not planned.

And do you believe it?