Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline husafreak  
#1 Posted : 27 June 2019 05:15:48(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
I just received a new loco from Marklin, it is the Class E 94 Heavy Electric Freight Locomotive 88227. It runs really well and looks terrific. A surprisingly large engine too. I'm smitten! My first crocodile type loco. Well, this one has operating pantographs. It was in the box with one retracted and the other extended but by the time I got it on the track they were both extended. I know in actual practice only the aft pantograph was generally used. But on my track power layout they should both be retracted. So can they be fixed in the retracted position? There is nothing in the manual about their use. Obviously they are spring actuated to the extended position. Is that it then? They certainly look great standing proud.
I am relieved that this "bell shaped armature" powered loco is behaving perfectly with my Rokuhan controllers. The motor is efficient but sits still with the Rokuhan controller throttle at stop and starts to move around the 10:00 position. Its top speed is not fast and is reached at about the 2:00 position. My first and only Marklin to date with a modern motor is the 88923 - KBayStsB S 3/6 Steam Locomotive. But that sealed motor will run around the track with the Rokuhan throttle closed. It may be that engine is a bit of an anomaly. Suffice to say this 88227 loco is a perfect match with the RC02/03. And also crawls with the Snail Speed controller, very smooth starts and stops too, a great automatic feature of the Snail Speed controller.
Offline zscalehobo  
#2 Posted : 27 June 2019 22:05:47(UTC)
zscalehobo

United States   
They can be pressed together or extended. It's a simple latch to counter the spring force that's trying to extend it
Frank Daniels
Owner - z.scale.hobo
A Noch "Top Dealer"
Marklin Dealer and Z Locomotive Service
Irvine, California, USA
www.zscalehobo.com
Offline husafreak  
#3 Posted : 27 June 2019 22:40:27(UTC)
husafreak

United States   
OK, thanks, I’ll put on my magnifying glasses and look for the latch. Man that pantograph is fine work!
Offline Crazy Harry  
#4 Posted : 28 June 2019 00:03:06(UTC)
Crazy Harry

Canada   
I have an 8865, a crocodile bought in 1984. If the new items are like the old, press the pantographs down and they will lock down. Sometimes you have to teeter the pick up part front or back for it to catch. There is a tiny tab inside the insulator frame that catches one of the scissor arms to hold it down. A mini version of the H0 models.

A slight tug upwards will release them again.

Hope this helps,

Harold.