Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Marklinacc52  
#1 Posted : 22 June 2019 04:09:52(UTC)
Marklinacc52

Australia   
Following on from my research into the older 00 scale 700/800 series Marklin models I decided to look for the prototypes that the models represented.

It is fairly clear that the early Electric OO models were closely allied with their bigger O gauge brothers. However I was convinced that there would be a prototype of each so the models I chose for my investigations were the RS800 and RSM800.

1. RS800 (R=Reisezug, S=Stromabnehmer or Schweiss) Swiss Electric Passenger Locomotive.

I believe it was modelled on the "A 2-Co-1" TYPE electric locomotive built by the famous firm of electrical engineers, Brown-Boveri, for service on the lines of the Swiss Federal Railways.This locomotive was Marklin's first Swiss outline for OO it followed the design of their O gauge models RS910 and CS 70/12920.

The front snouts at each end and the box cab shape with side windows are characteristic of the "Swiss A 2-Co-1" electric locomotive.
Because of the OO size the headlamp was limited to one lamp not two as on the O gauge model and it has two driven wheels not three as in the prototype. Also the front and rear bogies are omitted as this was to be a simple starter toy model for table railways that was affordable. Other manufacturers in UK and Europe adopted similar drive mechanisms for their models.

see: https://railwaywondersof...ctrification-europe.html
=============================================

2. RSM800 R=Reisezug S=Stromabnehmer M=Mischverker (Electric Mixed Traffic Locomotive).

I believe this was another swiss outline modelled on the preserved swiss loco SBB CFF FFS Ae 3/5 Nr. 10'201 - 10'226. The RSM was fitted with twin flywheels and triangular coupling rods characteristic of the Maschinenfabrik Oerliken Electric prototypes. But like most toy trains the simplified model omitted the leading and trailing bogie trucks and compressed the body. It was similar to the O Gauge Models RS880, RS900, RS920,

The Be 3/5 class of four test locomotives were ordered by the Schweizerischen Bundesbahnen (Swiss Federal Railways) (SBB) in June 1917. Intended to provide experience with electric traction, the locomotives were intended,along with the Ce 6/8I class locomotives, to be used on services on the Gotthardbahn (Gotthard railway). The Be 3/5 was something of a stopgap offered by Maschinenfabrik Oerlikon (MFO) because they felt that the requirements for the Gotthard Railway could not be fulfilled at the time. As the MFO did not feel that it could produce a freight locomotive with six drive-axles, a smaller version of the BLS Be 5/7 was offered. This meant that the locomotive did not fulfil the SBB specifications for the Gotthard line; it was too weak and, compared with the A 3/5 steam locomotives, too slow. However, due to a lack of available stock, the railway still took delivery of the locomotive, a decision that later proved correct by the long operational life and reliability of the Be 3/5.

see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SBB-CFF-FFS_Be_3/5
====================================
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Marklinacc52
Offline cookee_nz  
#2 Posted : 22 June 2019 04:32:21(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Good research Allyn, those prototypes certainly bear more than a passing resemblance.

In reality, when it comes to any form of model, the designer must have something in his mind to begin with as a basis for what they make. Even if the model is purely a Fantasy item, there is still always something that planted the thought in the first place.

In this respect, I see it as really no different to a movie or a novel "Based on a true story" - take the loved classic musical "Sound of Music", well anyone who knows the story of the von Trapp family knows the movie takes many liberties, but it has to of course to reach the intended audience.

Accuracy would be a documentary, not entertainment. But... none the less, some of the things depicted did happen.

So it is with the models, ok the proportions may be a little off, a missing wheel here, too short/high there, but you put them side-by-side and most people would agree, "yeah, it looks a bit like it"

Keep up the research, I really enjoy your take on these old models. ThumpUp
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline Marklinacc52  
#3 Posted : 22 June 2019 08:20:25(UTC)
Marklinacc52

Australia   
Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post
Good research Allyn, those prototypes certainly bear more than a passing resemblance.

In reality, when it comes to any form of model, the designer must have something in his mind to begin with as a basis for what they make. Even if the model is purely a Fantasy item, there is still always something that planted the thought in the first place.

In this respect, I see it as really no different to a movie or a novel "Based on a true story" - take the loved classic musical "Sound of Music", well anyone who knows the story of the von Trapp family knows the movie takes many liberties, but it has to of course to reach the intended audience.

Accuracy would be a documentary, not entertainment. But... none the less, some of the things depicted did happen.

So it is with the models, ok the proportions may be a little off, a missing wheel here, too short/high there, but you put them side-by-side and most people would agree, "yeah, it looks a bit like it"

Keep up the research, I really enjoy your take on these old models. ThumpUp

Love your comment re Sound of Music an all time favourite of mine captures Switzerland and Austria wonderfully well. Yes I agree early model makers were more concerned with an item that captured the spirit of the thing than an exact scale model that we have become obsessed with today. Even clockwork mechanisms were rudimentary propulsion until later when they become sophisticated with fowrad and reverse and fast and slow action. Cheers Allyn

Offline jvuye  
#4 Posted : 22 June 2019 23:26:00(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Good analysis indeed.

I just want to correct a little historical mistake: there is only **one** copy of the Be 3/5 , road number 12201, the type was never produced in series.

But the experience gained on that "prototype" lead to the successful serie of Ae 3/6 II 10401 to 10460

The Ae 3/5 10201 to 10226 that you mentionned are of a totally different architecture and are known as the "Petites Sécherons" and were using a single axle transmission system , licensed from Westinghouse, identical to the one used in the Ae 3/6 III 10261 to 10271 , and in the Be 4/7 12501 to 12506 known as the "Grandes Sécherons" (the later being intended originally also for passenger service on the Gotthard line.)

Note also that the DRG used similar "quill" Westinghouse single axle drive in their BR E04, E 17, E18 and E 19 series.

Cheers

Jacques
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline Marklinacc52  
#5 Posted : 23 June 2019 04:32:26(UTC)
Marklinacc52

Australia   
Thanks Jaques for the updated info much appreciated.