Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Goofy  
#1 Posted : 01 June 2019 08:47:08(UTC)
Goofy

Look at this! ThumpUp

H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 17 users liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline Bahnhof fan  
#2 Posted : 25 June 2019 21:37:21(UTC)
Bahnhof fan

United States   
Great recording! Wonderful locomotive. Too bad GmbH could pop for tooling for new cars that were most often used in era 2! Seeing those old Trix coaches is like seeing the same bad TV commercial one too many times.
Offline mvd71  
#3 Posted : 25 June 2019 22:45:17(UTC)
mvd71

New Zealand   
Nice video, thanks for posting.

I have the coaches from a few years back when marklin first sold them in that colour scheme. I think the comment about "old trix coaches" is unfair. They are a well detailed and nicely finished set, and the fact they may have been developed from older Trix tooling is irrelevant.

Cheers.....

Mike
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by mvd71
Offline Andy McDowell  
#4 Posted : 26 June 2019 02:08:39(UTC)
Andy McDowell

Brazil   
Thanks for posting the video Goofy.

That set (or rather, three sets of lok and two coach sets) looks stunning.

As a Z-Scaler the thing that always makes me think I should try and find a way of moving to H0 (or at least finding room in addition to the Z layouts - yup, plural) is seeing things like the carriage lighting (especially working table lamps on that sort of train) and the range of sound functions available. Not to mention the larger scale providing more opportunity for incorporating additional detailing.

Not sure I could sneak that lot in under the nose of Management (aka SWMBO or FD)...
Offline Gregor  
#5 Posted : 26 June 2019 09:17:41(UTC)
Gregor

Netherlands   
Originally Posted by: mvd71 Go to Quoted Post

I have the coaches from a few years back when marklin first sold them in that colour scheme. I think the comment about "old trix coaches" is unfair. They are a well detailed and nicely finished set, and the fact they may have been developed from older Trix tooling is irrelevant.

I have this earlier set (42795/6) as well and indeed they are very nice. However I found that they needed a lot of rework/tuning:
1. Unreliable power conducting couplings: I needed to adjust the brass fingers in the inside of the coaches for almost half of the couplings
2. Unreliable power connection to the LED circuit board. The circuit board in the bottom of the coach has metal strips which are supposed to clamp around a metal pin leading the power upwards to the lights. I needed to solder this connection to get it 100% working
3. In 2 coaches the LED circuit boards were placed the wrong way around. The LEDs are placed off centre as the coaches have a corridor on one side and the compartments on the other side.
4. The lighting itself is what you expect in a dentist's waiting room. Way too cold and too bright for an Era II set. After some yellow correction lacquer it looked much better.

Now #4 is a matter of taste, but the 3 first flaws were difficult to accept for the most expensive train set on my layout. Also because opening these coaches is a very delicate operation. Products that are presented as the flagship of the company should work out of the box. I can only hope that Märklin fixed some of these issues on the brown and blue sets issued afterwards.

So after a bit of a rough start: A beautiful set!

Best regards,
Gregor
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Gregor
Offline kiwiAlan  
#6 Posted : 26 June 2019 13:04:08(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Gregor Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: mvd71 Go to Quoted Post

I have this earlier set (42795/6) as well and indeed they are very nice. However I found that they needed a lot of rework/tuning:
1. Unreliable power conducting couplings: I needed to adjust the brass fingers in the inside of the coaches for almost half of the couplings
2. Unreliable power connection to the LED circuit board. The circuit board in the bottom of the coach has metal strips which are supposed to clamp around a metal pin leading the power upwards to the lights. I needed to solder this connection to get it 100% working
3. In 2 coaches the LED circuit boards were placed the wrong way around. The LEDs are placed off centre as the coaches have a corridor on one side and the compartments on the other side.
4. The lighting itself is what you expect in a dentist's waiting room. Way too cold and too bright for an Era II set. After some yellow correction lacquer it looked much better.

Now #4 is a matter of taste, but the 3 first flaws were difficult to accept for the most expensive train set on my layout. Also because opening these coaches is a very delicate operation. Products that are presented as the flagship of the company should work out of the box. I can only hope that Märklin fixed some of these issues on the brown and blue sets issued afterwards.

Best regards,
Gregor

Not only all that, but if disassembling the coaches to fix the faults, make sure you get things back together the correct way around, otherwise you create a short circuit between the live feed through the conducting couplings and the wheels. You don't need to ask how I know ... Blushing
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#7 Posted : 26 June 2019 15:33:16(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Originally Posted by: Bahnhof fan Go to Quoted Post
Great recording! Wonderful locomotive. Too bad GmbH could pop for tooling for new cars that were most often used in era 2! Seeing those old Trix coaches is like seeing the same bad TV commercial one too many times.

A good question here: is this from the really old trix tooling? (like 1980s-sh?), or was there an update sometime between then and now? That tooling was very nice, but rather chunky for the price marklin is charging...
SBB Era 2-5
Offline Bahnhof fan  
#8 Posted : 28 June 2019 17:38:15(UTC)
Bahnhof fan

United States   
Sorry! I overreacted a bit. Thank you for the original post. It's great to see Marklin do something with the Orient Express. I am an avid fan. I just see a lot more possibilities with a prototypically accurate era 2 set of newly tooled coaches. Trix made great coaches for the 1980's. Marklin could do so much better in 2019, including adding fantastic digital features.

The Orient Express that most people think of is not era 1, (reflected in the Trix tooling) but rather era 2. The all steel coaches, which were built from the mid 1920'2 to 1930's made up the most recognizable Wagon Lits trains. A set made for this era would be a more appropriate, more authentic match for the lok!

Think of the amazing possibilities fitting newly tooled Wagon Lits coaches with digital functions! Lighting special effects, animations and sound effects mirroring the prototype in the 1930's would make for a superb set.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bahnhof fan
Offline franciscohg  
#9 Posted : 28 June 2019 19:46:17(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Well, having this set offered by M in era I and II, and seeing that the tooling is the same, bells and whistles more or less, I will pass of them this time. A little bit disappointing indeed. So....for that wonderful loco I had reserved one of the new LS models set, hope I will not have to wait too much.
Regards
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline AmalfiCoast  
#10 Posted : 28 June 2019 21:57:14(UTC)
AmalfiCoast

United States   
Hi franciscohg,

Which LS Models set did you purchase?
Offline franciscohg  
#11 Posted : 28 June 2019 23:36:24(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Hi!
None yet, but after a long time thinking I have place an order for the MW1001 set.
Regards
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline dickinsonj  
#12 Posted : 16 July 2019 01:04:31(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: Gregor Go to Quoted Post
I can only hope that Märklin fixed some of these issues on the brown and blue sets issued afterwards.

Best regards,
Gregor

There is a valid concern about them being derived from the old Trix coaches. They had notoriously bad lighting circuits and that has been carried into the Märklin coaches as well.

I can tell you that they had not fixed any of those problems when they made the brown set. I have had mine open numerous times and I found the same problem with poor conductivity between the base plate and the posts that pass power up to the PCBs. Until I soldered that connection I never knew how many coaches of these coaches would be lighted or for how long. When the train was stopped it was quite rare to see all of them lighted at the same time.

My other problem is that they are very detailed and delicate, and therefore it is easy to break or lose parts when working on them. Luckily they did supply some replacement parts but I think I am still down a couple of the pipes going to the roof. I have found it quite difficult to remove and replace those pipes without breaking them and I have broken a couple of the gold door pulls as well.

I was very disappointed with my set of brown coaches and I never considered these because I assume that they will have the very same issues, even though I have Class 241 which is still looking for coaches of its own. Another issue for me is that these are the wrong era for the Orient Express train Märklin claims to be modeling. In one pitch they even showed the coaches in that movie and they are the newer metal bodied ones. These are still the older wooden coaches and not the metal bodied ones they should have made,

Some anniversary of the Orient Express. Delicate coaches with unreliable lighting modeled on the wrong protype. A very weak effort on Märklin's part in my opinion.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
Offline AntoinePrt  
#13 Posted : 05 September 2019 17:33:31(UTC)
AntoinePrt

France   
Hello,

Enjoy :D

Cheers

Antoine

6E9FC88F-D006-4BBF-AFD8-D6FF394FF572.jpeg
AD262FA4-D4E3-466A-A4EE-5780A42B5F20.jpeg
D918C20C-0E25-4B48-8A3F-72507886F5A6.jpeg
EFEF920F-0F46-4876-8322-DB3198F4BABB.jpeg
94585513-128F-4E0E-A428-237F01B33C28.jpeg
AC922534-BBAC-4704-92EB-BEDE7080FD06.jpeg
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by AntoinePrt
Offline mike c  
#14 Posted : 05 September 2019 19:21:03(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
If you have a nice model (Trix or Maerklin) and are looking for coaches to go with it, why not consider the LSM/Hobbytrain-Lemke/ModelsWorld models of CIWL cars or even the Rivarossi ones?

https://www.reynaulds.co...cts/LS-Models/49121.aspx
https://www.reynaulds.co...cts/LS-Models/49126.aspx
https://www.reynaulds.co...cts/LS-Models/49131.aspx
https://www.reynaulds.co...cts/LS-Models/49132.aspx
https://www.reynaulds.co...cts/LS-Models/49133.aspx
https://www.reynaulds.co...cts/LS-Models/49170.aspx

I am not an expert, but these coaches all fit a 1930s train.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline dickinsonj  
#15 Posted : 06 September 2019 03:30:27(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
If you have a nice model (Trix or Maerklin) and are looking for coaches to go with it, why not consider the LSM/Hobbytrain-Lemke/ModelsWorld models of CIWL cars or even the Rivarossi ones?

Those are very pretty and they do fit my SNCF 241 better than anything that Märklin makes! I appreciate the suggestions because I am not very experienced in other brands of HO European trains and additional options are always welcome. Cool

My 241 sneaks around the layout stealing rakes of coaches from unsuspecting locos until it is cornered and has to give them back. Then it begins to look for its next victims. BigGrin
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dickinsonj
Offline Marius in Africa  
#16 Posted : 16 September 2019 18:57:44(UTC)
Marius in Africa

South Africa   
Hi guys

My order arrived in SA on Friday in just 8 days. Looks as though the SA postal system (EMS type) service is finally working reliably. 👍

Marklin also deserves high marks for the detailing on this model. 👍

A really beautiful model, this is on par with my best Brawa steam loco models.
Marius in Africa

HO, ECoS 2, Märklin C-track, any country, any design, any era & any brand which i like.