Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mike c  
#1 Posted : 16 May 2019 17:49:11(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
A year ago, I bought a Roco SBB Dining car (74398) in the new livery. About a month later, I received some matching passenger coaches and decided to unbox the dining car to see how they looked together. It was then that I discovered that the model was damaged. I noted that some of the add-on parts on the roof had detached, which could easily be popped back into place, but more seriously, I noted that one buffer was loose and lying in the package.
Upon examination, it became evident that what used to be a minor issue was now much more complicated. The buffer part sticks onto a pin which is integrated into the coach body. The damage broke the pin and as a result, the buffer could not be reinserted or attached to the coach.
I immediately contacted the dealer, who requested a replacement part from Roco.
That was now over a year ago and I am still waiting.
I recently sent Roco an email asking about some parts for a different coach. I was looking for replacement door parts for older SBB EWII (44325). I was hoping that with the new production, I could get a set or two as spare parts, as a few of the coaches in my collection (used) have damaged parts. I received the reply:

Quote:
Für unsere Wagenmodelle führen wir folgende Teile als Ersatzteile: Puffer, Drehgestelle, Kupplungen sowie Deichseln. Als Ersatzteile nicht erhältlich sind: Dächer, Wagenkästen, Fenster-Einsätze, Inneneinrichtungen, Beladungen etc. sowie am Modell montierte Ausstattungsteile, die nicht in einem separaten Zurüstbeutel enthalten sind.

"We stock the following spart parts for our coach models: Buffers, Bogies, Couplings and Coupling Shafts. Not available as spare parts are:
Roofs, Coach Bodies, Window Inserts, Interior Details, Car Loads, as well as mounted detail parts, which are not included in separate parts bags." (My translation)

In order to repair the dining car, I would need a complete new chassis for the model.

I have spoken to the dealer and raised the issue again and was told that they will address with their Roco Rep.
Over time, the model is now listed as Out of Production and I am getting very close to the point where I will demand a refund or credit and try to source a replacement elsewhere.

Has this happened to anybody else?

Regards

Mike C
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 16 May 2019 18:56:55(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Don't underestimate the power of super-glue!

Seriously, I have sometimes received damaged items and a spot of appropriate adhesive solves the problem.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline David Dewar  
#3 Posted : 16 May 2019 20:39:57(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Should be able to stick it back on if it is just the pin on the buffer that is broken. If damaged in transit a year a go I doubt you would get a refund but worth trying.
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline Minok  
#4 Posted : 16 May 2019 21:18:39(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Parts is an issue - on the tight margins, they are just not going to stock parts for everything for any extended period. There is no solution to this other than be prepared to fix things yourself if they break.
In ordering some Roco spare parts for a recent tram, because I wanted to convert the tram as is, into a variety that requires a driver housing and power pickup at the back end as well, I discovered that after a few of the parts are ordered, the cost exceeds the cost of a whole new tram. So I just ordered 2 extra trams to get the parts I need and as a bonus I end up with a bunch of spare stuff such as motors, drive train, etc.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok
Offline mike c  
#5 Posted : 17 May 2019 01:34:28(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
Should be able to stick it back on if it is just the pin on the buffer that is broken. If damaged in transit a year a go I doubt you would get a refund but worth trying.

The buffer sticks on the a pin which is part of the coach chassis.

The problem was reported to the dealer right away. They replied that the part was ordered and provided a part number.
I am still waiting for them to deliver, but as I stated, my patience is running thin.

If the dealer balks at taking the item back or giving me a credit, they will lose my business, which is worth more than the $75 that the coach cost.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline mike c  
#6 Posted : 17 May 2019 01:39:37(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post
Parts is an issue - on the tight margins, they are just not going to stock parts for everything for any extended period. There is no solution to this other than be prepared to fix things yourself if they break.
In ordering some Roco spare parts for a recent tram, because I wanted to convert the tram as is, into a variety that requires a driver housing and power pickup at the back end as well, I discovered that after a few of the parts are ordered, the cost exceeds the cost of a whole new tram. So I just ordered 2 extra trams to get the parts I need and as a bonus I end up with a bunch of spare stuff such as motors, drive train, etc.

It is not a question of fixing things myself... The end result will be that any model that is not intact will IMMEDIATELY be returned to the dealer. If the purchase is not refunded including the return shipping costs, a chargeback will be initiated with the credit card company...

The onus is on the shipper to ensure that the goods are inspected before shipment (with photos) and that they properly pack it so that it arrives intact.
You cannot claim postal damage if there is no damage to the parcel. The shipper is responsible if the item moves in it's box, not the post office.

The other thing that will happen is that dealers and companies who don't repair items damaged on delivery is that the situation will be published.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline river6109  
#7 Posted : 17 May 2019 07:20:27(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
I don't fully agree with you, if there is no damage on the outside parcel it doesn't mean that the article inside isn't damaged.
I've mentioned it several times to a friend of mine when he sends me locos to pack them close to each other, leave the ends open so the coupling doesn't get damaged and don't leave any room for the article to be able to move, I had locos received in 3 parts and bits broken off.
some of your explanation i can't follow: you've bought the carriage about a year ago, you've opened it recently and discovered the damage and in another reply you've mentioned you've contacted the dealer straight away. does this mean you've contacted the dealer straight away when you've received the carriage or notified him straight away when you've discovered the damage 12 month later. ???
anyway its always sad when items arrive damaged, similar something like this happened to me when I bought a BR 194 from Modellbahn Kramm, there was nothing wrong with the loco except the front part of the loco was different to back part of the loco including the loco number and the coupling, and I didn't find this out month later after taking it out of the box, contacted via email Modellbahn Kramm but never received a reply.

not related to this topic

some other damage occurs (my own fault) wth couplings on passenger carriages, when I apply electrical couplings some of them are very hard to fit into the shaft and the same thing happens when you remove them, unless you handle it with care and holding the shaft firm the shaft itself breaks off from the coupling assembly, Roco improved the coupling over the years by extending the width of the weakest point of the coupling just behind the shaft and I've manged with superglue and a 1mm copper wire (bent to suit the coupling) used a soldering iron to embed the wire and let the superglue set the 2 parts together., the result was incredible it strong as an ox.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline hxmiesa  
#8 Posted : 17 May 2019 08:45:11(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
If the dealer balks at taking the item back or giving me a credit, they will lose my business, which is worth more than the $75 that the coach cost.

Considering the number of times that you have been reporting similar problems over the years, I am surprised that you can still find stores worthy of your business... Laugh

Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline RayF  
#9 Posted : 17 May 2019 12:19:19(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
It's disappointing when you receive something that's damaged, but I always weigh it up against the inconvenience of having to repack the item and send it off again, meaning another visit to the post office and the inevitable exchange of awkward emails.

Moreover I find that it can take months to get your item back repaired, or worse still you might never get it back.

Sometimes the easiest solution for my own sanity is to get the tube of glue out...

Edited by user 17 May 2019 18:48:17(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline David Dewar  
#10 Posted : 17 May 2019 14:16:58(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
I Just always stick with one dealer and for years everything is well packed and so far nothing has been damaged. I have a few Brawa coaches and a loco and because of the extra details small parts are liable to fall off. When I receive an item which just has push in parts I always put a spot of glue to keep them in place.

Coaches I suppose are no more than quite expensive plastic toys and it is unlikely parts will always be available although Brawa do appear to be quite good at keeping a supply of parts according to the leaflet delivered with the coach.

Edited by user 17 May 2019 21:19:23(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by David Dewar
Offline PMPeter  
#11 Posted : 17 May 2019 17:41:45(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
I too disagree with the idea that if something small is bent or broken, that it will go back unless replacement parts are provided. If that were the case 90% of my locos or rail cars would have to go back, and then you always have the chance that when, and if, it comes back it may be worse than the original shipment. I usually buy from MBL, Lokshop or eBay Germany. Aside from eBay the other 2 provide very well packaged shipments, but regardless the internal movement usually bends something or breaks a detailed part. I just reshape the items and get out the bottle of glue and accept this is the unfortunate reality of ordering online.

Peter
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by PMPeter