Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline rrf  
#1 Posted : 12 May 2019 16:56:18(UTC)
rrf

United States   
Hello,

I just installed a new 60842 M84 decoder with the first of four 74371 Start Up yard signals. It's plugged into an M83 with a 60822 universal power supply. The 60822 is also powering a K83 decoder. Per what I learned from the forum with my first M83/M84 block I have the digital signal feeds connected to the first decoder, the M83 and not the universal power supply.

Solenid devices connected to the M83 and the K83 work fine. The M84's first status LED blinks indicating that it receives the signal from my CS3. When I try to control the signal connected to the M84, its second status LED blinks indicating that it has been addressed by the CS3. Yet the new M84 will not toggle its relays (no clicking sound), will not light up the first position's red/green status LEDs or power the signal's LEDs. I tested the signal on a different M84 and it works fine. The image below shows the described decoders.

M83_M84_K83.jpg

When I first connected the M84, I told my CS3 to search for a new MFX device. It recognized the M84 at its assigned address (13). I configured the first device on the M84, my block signal and removed the devices defined at the unused positions (2 thru 4). The image below shows how the M84 (Decoder C) and the signal (BL B2 Sg1) appear within the "Edit Article List".

CS3_M84_C.JPG

I verified that the "Info" screen for the new decoder and signal match my other working M84 and signals.

BL_B2_Sg1_Setup.JPG

I also verified that that the new M84's config (CV 79) is set to default, which again matches my working M84.

M84_C_Config.JPG

Have I done something wrong with the configuration of this new decoder? I am beginning to think that it has a problem and needs to be returned to my dealer. Any and all help and advice on how to proceed is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Rob
Mackenrode Wende Bahn
Offline clapcott  
#2 Posted : 12 May 2019 22:21:33(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: rrf Go to Quoted Post
M83_M84_K83.jpg

I see a couple of wires at the top (back) of the m84.

What are these for/connected to.
If connected to the m84s direct drive inputs, please remove for testing.
Peter
Offline rrf  
#3 Posted : 12 May 2019 23:13:13(UTC)
rrf

United States   
Originally Posted by: clapcott Go to Quoted Post

I see a couple of wires at the top (back) of the m84.

What are these for/connected to.
If connected to the m84s direct drive inputs, please remove for testing.

Peter, thank you for the reply. The wires you mentioned are feeding power to the rear section of my test oval. There is nothing connected to the back side of the M84.

Regards,
Rob
Mackenrode Wende Bahn
Offline clapcott  
#4 Posted : 13 May 2019 04:10:16(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
I do not see anything wrong with what you describe.
You might try without the signal plugged in - the indicator lights should still operate.

As tests to further bisect I would.
- Try using the direct drive terminals , touch a jumper wire from the "T" to each of the 8 ports one at a time from port 8 to 1.
- note the behavior of the outputs and ensure ALL switch as you trigger them.

On the off chance the factory defaults have not stuck,
- try setting the Mode to 8 port = 8 address
- test
- revert to default and retest.
Peter
Offline Goofy  
#5 Posted : 13 May 2019 09:22:59(UTC)
Goofy

I have also some fault with the CS3.
m84.2 does register in the CS3 but symbols of Icon will not appears in the TDCB.
Just in the keyboard.
I believe there is some bugs in the new version 1.4.0 because the older version there was no problem.
m84.2 are set as standard by Märklin.
Do you have same software version 1.4.0?
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline rrf  
#6 Posted : 14 May 2019 00:47:03(UTC)
rrf

United States   
Hello,

Peter, I will try both toggling the mode (CV 79) as well as triggering the relays directly as you suggest. Unfortunately, I am traveling the next two days so probably will not be able to play with the M84 until Thursday. BTW, I've tested both with and without the signal attached. I've also tested all four positions of the new M84 ... same behavior or lack there of.

Goofy, I too am at version 1.4.0 with my CS3. I tested MFX discovery of both my old and new M84s. The old one works fine, while the new one has the previously mentioned problems. Same is true when I manually define both M84s.

Thank you both for your replies.
Rob
Mackenrode Wende Bahn
Offline Ross  
#7 Posted : 14 May 2019 09:55:12(UTC)
Ross

Australia   

Hi Rob/All,

Please note when selecting the MM protocol I have discovered that the Coding Switch settings are incorrect for some addresses (I found address 81 was wrong) and the k83/m83 won't work. Refer to the instructions to set the coding switches on the m83/m84 decoder. I also note that if people want to use the MM protocol there isn't a choice for the k83 decoders.
Hope this helps.

BL_B2_Sg1_Setup.JPG

Ross
Offline rrf  
#8 Posted : 14 May 2019 22:09:05(UTC)
rrf

United States   
Hello Ross,

Thank you for your reply. Two facts tell me that I am able to address the M84 at the address I assigned via the DIP switches. The first is that my CS3 can find the decoder at its assigned address (13) when it searches for new MFX devices. The second is that when the CS3 attempts to control the switch at that address, the M83's second status LED blinks briefly indicating that the decoder has been addressed.

Everyone, please keep the ideas coming ... I really hope that this issue can be resolved without sending the M84 back to my dealer.
Rob
Mackenrode Wende Bahn
Offline clapcott  
#9 Posted : 15 May 2019 05:39:20(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Elaboration requested on ....
Originally Posted by: rrf Go to Quoted Post
... will not light up the first position's red/green status LEDs
If the unit is truely in "default" (and has not had its outputs subsequently played with manually to override) at least one led of each pair should be on at any given time.

Peter
Offline rrf  
#10 Posted : 15 May 2019 13:35:55(UTC)
rrf

United States   
Originally Posted by: clapcott Go to Quoted Post
If the unit is truely in "default" (and has not had its outputs subsequently played with manually to override) at least one led of each pair should be on at any given time.

Hello Peter,

The toggling of the relays (evidenced by clicks) and the alternating red/green status LEDs is the behavior I learned to expect from my first M84. The moment the CS3 first addressed a position, the LEDs came to life and one or the other has remained on ever since.

This afternoon I will have some time to work with the M84. I would like to reset it to factory defaults via CV programing. I have searched a bit for instructions on how to program a second generation M84 in MM/MFX mode with a CS3. So far I haven't found anything online or within my "Running Trains ... with the CS3" book.

Can someone please provide guidance?

Thanks again everyone for your help!
Rob
Mackenrode Wende Bahn